Hamilton on Disney +

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, yes, I get this, but his sounds more different than anyone else's in the cast. Just making an observation.

Fair enough, I didn't notice that. To me, it sounds like Miranda didn't do his warmups that night, as his voice is a little breathy and tremulous early in the show, and it firms up as he goes.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
The biggest problem is that the rest of the cast can basically sing circles around Lin. Oh, he's plenty good, we're not talking the same writing-to-vocals talent disparity as, say, a Bob Dylan, but he just doesn't quite hold his own among the rest of the incredible talent surrounding him.

An interesting tidbit of trivia, but Lin originally conceptualized himself playing Aaron Burr, and if memory serves didn't make the decision to cast himself as Hamilton instead until relatively late in the writing process. I personally think it was the right choice, but it's definitely one of the more intriguing casting "what-ifs", it's really hard to imagine him and Leslie Odom Jr switching roles.

Three numbers cut from the show for length that are still great. The first is the John Adams Rap - cut for being irrelevant. No spoilers in it except that Hamilton really didn't like John Adams (who I don't think even appears in the show).

Second here's Congratulations from Angelica to Hamilton - and big spoilers here. Again cut for length and for not being necessary but good.

The third is Cabinet Rap Battle #3 on the subject of banning slavery which didn't quite work and contains spoilers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The first is the John Adams Rap - cut for being irrelevant. No spoilers in it except that Hamilton really didn't like John Adams (who I don't think even appears in the show).

Not just irrelevant, but... I know Hamilton and Adams didn't get along, but Hamilton also would not have had a nation to be Secretary of the Treasury of were it not for Adams. And, having this number would have the show give multiple nods to Revolutionary history in musicals (see 1776)... but always in a negative form. So, maybe not the right message.

Oh, and the point about Abigail... that's pretty crappy.
Yes, Adams actually went home and spent time with his wife, who was a remarkable and formidable woman in her own right, and Adams clearly loved her deeply. And when Hamilton didn't see his own wife... he effectively destroyed his own career. So, maybe he shouldn't talk.

The third is Cabinet Rap Battle #3 on the subject of banning slavery which didn't quite work and contains spoilers.

It isn't like Hamilton was all that staunch of an abolitionist. While he did write against the practice, he also bought and sold them for his in-laws, so...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Kathryn Ryan (comedian) did a stand up where she was talking about her experience watching the play, and her heckling of it when Hamilton was confronted by Reynolds, and when he broke into song "How do I say no?" She started yelling, "She wasn't asking you! There's nothing to say no to!" It was pretty funny.

Not just irrelevant, but... I know Hamilton and Adams didn't get along, but Hamilton also would not have had a nation to be Secretary of the Treasury of were it not for Adams.

On the other hand he did write and distribute a ridiculously long pamphlet about Adams which is what the rap references.

Hamilton basically blew himself up across the last two thirds of the second act and the play is loaded with ironies up to and including "I'm not going to throw away my shot" to "take the bullets out your gun" and the final duel. Maybe he should have listened to Burr when he gave him some advice

It isn't like Hamilton was all that staunch of an abolitionist. While he did write against the practice, he also bought and sold them for his in-laws, so...

One step above Jefferson... But yes, the musical is reaching when it makes Hamilton an active abolitionist.

Three numbers cut from the show for length that are still great. The first is the John Adams Rap - cut for being irrelevant. No spoilers in it except that Hamilton really didn't like John Adams (who I don't think even appears in the show).

Basically, Lin felt that William Daniels, who originated the role of John Adams in 1776. was so iconic that everyone will just picture William Daniels' version of the character and know exactly what they're talking about.

oh and Fun fact: When Lin's wife watches she boos whenever he kisses someone lol

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases