Hamilton on Disney +

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Basically, Lin felt that William Daniels, who originated the role of John Adams in 1776. was so iconic that everyone will just picture William Daniels' version of the character and know exactly what they're talking about.

He was obnoxious and disliked, we know that sir.

Amittedly, I'm in Massachusetts. We have a soft spot in our hearts for our loudmouth lawmakers. None of them perfect, but there's a bit of a tradition, starting with Adams.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Not just irrelevant, but... I know Hamilton and Adams didn't get along, but Hamilton also would not have had a nation to be Secretary of the Treasury of were it not for Adams. And, having this number would have the show give multiple nods to Revolutionary history in musicals (see 1776)... but always in a negative form. So, maybe not the right message.

Oh, and the point about Abigail... that's pretty crappy.
Yes, Adams actually went home and spent time with his wife, who was a remarkable and formidable woman in her own right, and Adams clearly loved her deeply. And when Hamilton didn't see his own wife... he effectively destroyed his own career. So, maybe he shouldn't talk.

It isn't like Hamilton was all that staunch of an abolitionist. While he did write against the practice, he also bought and sold them for his in-laws, so...
John Adams is my 1st cousin, 8 times removed. He was a pretty good guy, from what I've learned.

Hamilton attacking his wife was definitely a low blow.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
so one of the lines in Alexander Hamilton is "a diamond in the rough" which implies that Hamilton could have also gone into the cave of wonders and gotten the Genie's lamp like Aladdin did.
The musical has dozens of references and other cool stuff like that. For example, it's considered bad luck to whistle on or off stage, which they do in "Blow us all away".

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, he refers to the "Scottish tragedy" which is the typical nomenclature by theatrical curse lore, and then calls himself, out loud, Macbeth, in the very next line.

Technically, the curse forbids speaking the name Macbeth inside the theater, except as called for in the script while rehearsing or performing. So, speaking the name Macbeth as part of the play is fine. Having a literary discussion of how Macbeth and Hamilton are similar in the dressing room is not.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, he refers to the "Scottish tragedy" which is the typical nomenclature by theatrical curse lore, and then calls himself, out loud, Macbeth, in the very next line.
Technically, the curse forbids speaking the name Macbeth inside the theater, except as called for in the script while rehearsing or performing. So, speaking the name Macbeth as part of the play is fine. Having a literary discussion of how Macbeth and Hamilton are similar in the dressing room is not.
Also, he names the character Macbeth, and not the play, so the curse was not invoked. (This is what I'd heard at least, correct me if I'm wrong)

Remove ads