Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
TBS made The Braves a household name. You could watch them all over the country. Without a cable sports channel I can't even watch them on local TV. I'm thinking of using ESPN+ to watch but I shouldn't have to.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Remember the picture of the bell pepper I posted? I picked it the other day. I ate it this weekend. The best tasting pepper. Its skin was tough but it was flavorful. I had two ready that day. I've got more growing. I hope they're just as good.

Next year I want to branch out. I'd like to be able to make a salad with only stuff grown at home.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Aeson

You’re in Georgia, right? Get a good book on state plants or some such from a gardening shop or club, or one of the university Ag departments. Check put your local farmers’ markets. That will give you a good idea of what grows well in your area.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.

I was going to mention that and also if you get 5 gallon plastic buckets and drill about 8-10 1/4 inch holes the bottom these can be made to grow stuff in also and set them at any height you need. I've done this for onions, tomatoes and green peppers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My aunt used to do tomatoes in hanging planters. I’m probably going to try likewise with the same, plus maybe some herbs and berries.

For our herbs I got a little out of hand. I bought a short rain gutter and end caps for them. Drilled a few holes on the bottoms. Then screwed them onto 4x4 posts that were a part of our garden wall/fence. Little earth and shading and viola- herbs up high where the moles don't eat them and easy to get at.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
There will probably be no tomatoes in my garden. I like sauces made from them but don't care for tomatoes. Don't like squash or eggplant either.

I'm going to look at lettuce, peppers, onions, cucumbers, cabbage, brussel sprouts. I'd like to see how well mushrooms do.

Another reason I'm think of using planters is that I'm renting. I don't know if I can or should try a garden. I don't want to put all the work into it then end up moving or have the landlord not approve. At least the other way I can move them with me.

Remove ads