Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Cello isn’t too weird, but my paternal grandmother’s mimeograph machine would be a hoot.

”Who knows what a copier or printer is?”

”Now imagine a copier that ONLY has purple ink that smells funny, and instead of pushing buttons to make it work, you have to crank a handle like a jack in the box!”
Now you're getting the idea.

Cellos are still used. A child may have used one in school. The mimeograph, I think when I was in school we called them ditto machines. I doubt they're still used. Like slide projectors or reel to reel projectors.

Cello isn’t too weird, but my paternal grandmother’s mimeograph machine would be a hoot.

”Who knows what a copier or printer is?”

”Now imagine a copier that ONLY has purple ink that smells funny, and instead of pushing buttons to make it work, you have to crank a handle like a jack in the box!”

Used when I an a teacher. Messy

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I saw someone dropping off film to be developed at the drugstore yesterday day. When's the last time that happened? That in itself could be a story for kids.

Back in the day when we took pictures it was with a camera. The image was stored on film. The film had to be taken somewhere to be developed. It required special equipment to do. When it was done you would get the picture back on special paper. You'd look at the picture once, then put it in drawer and never look at it again. Unless it's something you could use to embarrass your child with in front of a possible mate.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Now you're getting the idea.

Cellos are still used. A child may have used one in school. The mimeograph, I think when I was in school we called them ditto machines. I doubt they're still used. Like slide projectors or reel to reel projectors.
The last time I dealt with a mimeograph was 1988-89.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The CDC has advised kids not go trick or treating. They had suggested other activities like a scavenger hunt or a virtual costume contest. I actually like those ideas, but in addition to trick or treating. Getting dressed up and begging for candy is one of the greatest things about being a kid. I think few things should stop that. Precautions can be taken to lessen exposure.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I saw someone dropping off film to be developed at the drugstore yesterday day. When's the last time that happened? That in itself could be a story for kids.

Back in the day when we took pictures it was with a camera. The image was stored on film. The film had to be taken somewhere to be developed. It required special equipment to do. When it was done you would get the picture back on special paper. You'd look at the picture once, then put it in drawer and never look at it again. Unless it's something you could use to embarrass your child with in front of a possible mate.
We still have our 35mm cameras, but admittedly haven’t used them in years.

We are, however, looking for a photo lab so we can get some of our old family photos digitized and reproduced. Hopefully, in doing so, we’ll be able to share some of what we have with family who lost similar stuff during Katrina.

For instance, we have a picture of my maternal grandmother’s second wedding, including my Mom as part of the wedding party. Her little sister doesn’t have any pictures of that wedding.

Remove ads