Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
That’s mad, Jack!

On the Reaper forum, my standard response to that would be, "No, I'm Mad, the hat's Jack..." :D There's an inside joke there, which is why my Reaper forum sig contains the line, "Oh, not you... We named the hat Jack." (A play on the line from the PotC movie.)
The story:
Another forum member who was a fellow member of the New England Miniature Painters Association was driving with me to the CT Ren Faire when I mentioned my hat (the one in my avatar pic, which I'm never without),,, She paused, and then said, "Oh, you're wearing a hat... I hadn't noticed it before....". Apparently, the fact that she'd never seen me without the hat in the entire six months we'd known each other had somehow caused her to never actually fully process the thought that I was wearing one, lol. :rolleyes:
So I paraphrased the PotC line, "Oh, not you... We named the monkey Jack..."
Unfortunately, she's not a movie watcher and never saw the film. But I decided to put it in my sig anyway.

(I also joke that "Mad Jack" is actually my real name (first name Mad, last name Jack - what, you never heard of a guy named Madeleine before?)...

I've got a fun one.

Describe to a child the oldest piece of technology you've used.

An American Civil War era Lorenz Model 1874 rifle bayonet? It's the oldest manufactured piece of technology I own.
It's a big knife you stick on the end of a gun to stab people with when they get too close to shoot 'em with it.

(Fun fact: the first screw-cutting lathe was invented in 1770, and accurately-sized metal screws were in mass production by 1797.)

As for non-manufactured technology, I'm pretty sure a "poke-y-stick" is self-explanatory since people have been using them since before we were people.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Mad_Jack

There was a guy I knew for YEARS and had never seen without his baseball cap on...until his bachelor party. I walked in with a mutual buddy who- like me- had never seen the man hatless. So he looked around for a minute then asked where the groom was.

The guy right in front of us replied, ”Right here, dumbass!”

After recoiling in shock, he replied, “But...but...but...where’s your hair?”

(He had an advanced case of Michaelboltonitis...)

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Speaking of wheels and ancient technology, I don’t know how extensively they teach about these in your corner of the world, but the renaissance scientists classified 6 Simple Machines that are pretty much the basis of all technology. An interesting read if you’re inclined: Simple machine - Wikipedia

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Speaking of wheels and ancient technology, I don’t know how extensively they teach about these in your corner of the world, but the renaissance scientists classified 6 Simple Machines that are pretty much the basis of all technology. An interesting read if you’re inclined: Simple machine - Wikipedia
It used to be taught in my schools when I was young. Who knows what they teach now. I think all they teach now is how to whine until you get what you want, and post it online.

Poor humor- The nominees play DbD. "Big T" thunders and bellows as he tries to intimidate his victums. "Wizard J" succeeds on his first concentration check. Unrelenting, the barbarian rages again. Tired on the tactics the wizards calls back- "Will you shutup man!"

So sad.

Remove ads