• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
Jack has now converted himself to a nocturnal lifestyle in preparation for switching to 3rd shift at his new job tonight after training two weeks on day shift. Had a bit of a long weekend as I worked day shift on Friday and the company starts the work week with day shift Monday morning, so 3rd shift actually works 12 AM- 8 AM Tuesday-Saturday...

Ulfgeir

Hero
Apparently the East Indian Sailingship Götheborg III had to rescue a small sailing boat in distress in the English Channel.
Link to report about it: Sailing boat rescued by the Götheborg | Götheborg of Sweden

I have been aboard Götheborg III (as a tourist while it was moored at the quay). Beautifull ship. I really cannot understand how they managed to sail to China and back in the original. They said that with the masts on, it was taller than the large ferries that go from Gothenburg to Denmark and to Kiel.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Having just listened to all the songs from this year's Eurovison Song contest, I must say my favourites are in descendeing order: Norway, Sweden (even if she should get called out for plagiarizing her own hit Euphoria), France, Spain, Cyprus, Moldova.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have spent my free time this week getting sweaty and dirty rearranging my kitchen cabinets. It took hours. Almost every pot, pan, food storage container or Pyrex/metal/ceramic utility vessel got shifted.

I did this because we lost a little space here & there when we had the whole house re-piped last year. That resulted in some pots living in the drying rack, which caused logistical issues when cleaning my hand-wash stuff. Others were stacked in cabinets they barely fit into, requiring “PIVOT!” maneuvers to extricate them when needed.

I’m still thinking about a couple more swaps. And a few might simply get donated to charity. But FOR NOW, everything has a place.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Having just listened to all the songs from this year's Eurovison Song contest, I must say my favourites are in descendeing order: Norway, Sweden (even if she should get called out for plagiarizing her own hit Euphoria), France, Spain, Cyprus, Moldova.

I've never understood why the Netherlands doesn't just send Floor Jansen to the contest - they'd win every year...

I have spent my free time this week getting sweaty and dirty rearranging my kitchen cabinets. It took hours. Almost every pot, pan, food storage container or Pyrex/metal/ceramic utility vessel got shifted.

I did this because we lost a little space here & there when we had the whole house re-piped last year. That resulted in some pots living in the drying rack, which caused logistical issues when cleaning my hand-wash stuff. Others were stacked in cabinets they barely fit into, requiring “PIVOT!” maneuvers to extricate them when needed.

I’m still thinking about a couple more swaps. And a few might simply get donated to charity. But FOR NOW, everything has a place.

Do you have any free wall space to hang them from a rack? Or an island in your kitchen that you could hang a ceiling rack over?
I have the same problem, although in my case it's more of my own making - I tend to just have all my stuff live on the kitchen counter because I leave them on the counter to dry after washing them and it's easier to access them there than to put them away in drawers and such.

On a related note, I just replaced my electric can opener and 4-slice toaster (and bought a new pizza cutter) after multiple decades... Which reminds me that I should really get a pizza pan one of these days - the house ate the last one several decades ago.). And, at some point in the future, after I get a new computer, I need to upgrade my early-00's microwave.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Do you have any free wall space to hang them from a rack?
Nah, no such luck. At best, I could put up a couple of small magnetic strips on the sides of the cabinets next to the sink for a few knives, but that’s it.
Or an island in your kitchen that you could hang a ceiling rack over?
The ceilings over our island is kinda high, and currently has a 4-segment dangling light fixture over it.
I have the same problem, although in my case it's more of my own making - I tend to just have all my stuff live on the kitchen counter because I leave them on the counter to dry after washing them and it's easier to access them there than to put them away in drawers and such.
We have a fair number of kitchen gizmos on our counters. Toaster oven, coffee maker blender, food processor, knife sharpener, can opener, and a food vacuum sealer. Then there’s a trio of knife blocks, a tomato basket, a potato basket, an onion baskets and a banana hanger for good measure.
On a related note, I just replaced my electric can opener and 4-slice toaster (and bought a new pizza cutter) after multiple decades... Which reminds me that I should really get a pizza pan one of these days - the house ate the last one several decades ago.). And, at some point in the future, after I get a new computer, I need to upgrade my early-00's microwave.
Since 2019, we’ve had to replace almost all of our kitchen appliances. One of the best things we did was replace our 2-slice toaster with a toaster oven. (Thanks for the idea, Mom!). They do more than toast, and ours gets used almost every day.

And our microwave is both higher power than the one it replaced, and also adds a convection feature.

Remove ads