• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
She's still got it, folks.

I was going to share Luke Combs because this is really about him. I found this and had to share it instead. Luke Combs does an ok job with the song. I'm just not sure it's Grammy worthy. First, I don't think covers should win awards unless it's just so much better than the original. Second, it's a song written by a woman from a woman's perspective. He didn't change the song to fit a male singer. "And I work in a market as a checkout girl." It's one thing to song along in a car, it's another to do it on stage. I'm fairly certain Tracy would have been ok with a change to make it fit. Am I wrong?
She probably would have, but she also didn’t make a fuss about him not making that change, so we’ll never know.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
My sister is dealing with a heart issue. Neither my mom or sister has told me much about it. This commercial on CNN sounds just like what's going on. ATTR-CM is what it's called.
The prognosis isn't good. The idea my mom or I could outlive my younger sister is not something I want to think about.

The liver creates a protein that damages the heart. Treatment is limited. Seems like it just delays the inevitable.

Attachments

• ATTR-CM_Toolkit_Factsheet_D01_022619.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 16

Aeson

As I'm always on the quest to eat healthier, whomst amongst us has tried impossible and beyond plant based meats? Would you recommend one over the other? Looking at price, it would be cheaper to buy a impossible whopper. If I can find a Burger King that's still open. They've closed a lot of them here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I'm always on the quest to eat healthier, whomst amongst us has tried impossible and beyond plant based meats? Would you recommend one over the other? Looking at price, it would be cheaper to buy an impossible whopper. If I can find a Burger King that's still open. They've closed a lot of them here.
I haven’t tried the Impossible or Beyond brand plant-based meat products, but I understand they’re pretty decent.

I’ve experimented with some of the earlier veggie burger concepts before, and generally found them to be decent if not perfect substitutes. But without fail, I’d have an allergic reaction shortly afterwards. Most puzzling about that is that my food allergies are generally pretty mild, but something about the combination of ingredients actually made my reactions worse than normal. So I’ve mostly given up on plant-based meat substitutes.

The only exceptions were eating straight portobello caps or beef with portobello mushrooms mixed in. Those are the only substitutions I’ve found that work for
Me. Not that I’m complaining, to be clear. Just stating facts.

And to be fair, I also haven’t tried things like seitan and some of the tofu-based meat substitutions. (I like tofu, and really don’t have a need for it to be a disguised as anything else.🤷🏾‍♂️ )

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
TBH, I really can’t speak much about the topic. But for the exceptions I listed, it’s been a decade or more since I tried anything of the kind.

My gut feeling is that the options heavy on beans or mushrooms would be the healthiest and taste the beefiest.

Going back to my exceptions, though..

Getting large portobello caps at the grocery should be pretty easy. Cut the stem off (if any) and season them like a burger, then bake them in an oven upside down. You can “stuff”/top them with your favorite burger toppings. They can be refrigerated or frozen and warmed in a microwave very quickly.

And if you have a food processor or some such, you can get regular portobello mushrooms and chop them finely, then mix them into your preferred ground beef type. While you’re at it, you could add things like diced green onion or peppers and other seasonings/veggies to get the flavor all nicely blended together.

I haven’t tried it, but I imagine you can do likewise with ground pork or poultry using white button mushrooms.

If doing that, I’d start with a higher fat ground meat (like 73/27) and then add the ground mushrooms in about 25-33% by weight.

Last edited:

Aeson

I'm intrigued by the mushroom idea. I'm gonna try it out. Luckily for me, I don't have any food allergies. I am lactose intolerant, but I can deal with it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did a little research:

Aeson

Awesome! Thanks!

I was today years old when I learned idiot, imbecile, and moron were actual technical terms.
An episode of Science Vs
How Science Created Morons
I had the story of Carrie Buck but I had no idea how far back it went.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In other news…

Mom has been culling her purse collection this year. She buys high-quality stuff, and cares for them, so it’s a downer seeing them go. But she has enough trouble with her hands that- even with Dad and me around to help wrangle them- she doesn’t feel comfortable using her bigger purses. So she’s slowly but surely replacing the biggest ones with purses as small as 1/3 their size.

The search for suitable replacements has left her very frustrated at times. First of all, good purses aren’t cheap. Second, like anything style-related, visual aesthetics vary over time. So it’s been hard for her to find reasonably priced purses that are small enough for her to use comfortably that fit her style AND her color palette.

So we found this one on Etsy, and she’s been vacillating about it for at least 2 months.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/151522...461&click_sum=571015c4&ref=user_profile&frs=1

Well, I ordered it in the tan- the color she liked it in the most- and it arrived today. It’s actually better than I expected, and Mom likened opening the package to Christmas. (TBH, I wanted to save it for a gift-giving occasion, but really didn’t have a good place to stash it for that long.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads