Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, it had never occurred to me either to play a grappler. I always choose the other feats when you get those monk bonuses :D Now if I ever get to play again, I might actually try one... Maybe build him as dwarven luchador...

The more I think about this, the more I like it. But it needs fleshing out- a context that makes the character's place in the world more complete.

The last Dwarf I played was Magnus Skyhammer, a 4Ed Starpact Warlock multiclassed with Shaper Psion. But beyond that, I supplied the DM with more background: his clan's calling was to live on a high peak, watching for starfalls- aberration seeds from then Far Realm- and combatting aberrations of all kinds with the powers they gained via their pacts and Psionics. Fighting fire with fire, as it were, immortalized in their oath.

CLAN SKYHAMMER'S OATH:

In deepest mine, on mountain's height
Our cunning foes will face our might
No Far Realms scourge evades our sight
Skyhammer clan's eternal fight!

Over time, other things accreted to the PC due to roleplay or to explain his abilities. His clan loved Carribean style steel drums, and his evasive shadow walking ability became a form of capoira...

Do something like that for your diminutive luchador. Have his entire clan's culture be lifted from Mexican/Meso-American culture with a pastiche from tribes further north, instead of the D&D sterotype Scots/Teutonic/Viking vibe dwarves always have.

After all, pre-Columbian American cultures were fine stone workers and very fond of gold. Hell- extend that love from the metal and into corn being their most precious crop. Replace beer/mead/wines with peyote and coca leaves.

Axes and hammers still make sense, but perhaps they're also good with blowguns?

Perhaps, because of their short stature but massive musculature, Dwarven monks are hyperaggressive, like the flyweight boxer Jorge Paez.

And so the grapplers emerge from a practice of counting coup...

...but for maximum giggles, keep using the stereotypical Scots accent. :D

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yeah, I'm thinking a dwarven clan from Maztica... I don't remember much about the setting, but it could fit. Or then flesh out the gold dwarf culture to include lucha libre type of gladiatorial combat...

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Hmm... The more I read on the gold dwarves, the more convinced I am that I could weave some mesoamerican flair into their culture...

Remove ads