Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Never take your eye off the ball."

The origins are from baseball, but it applies in so many walks of life. I've done the exact same kind of thing myself, so I know how you feel.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Niantic's creative team have been watching and reading the games I and another player has been running and thier producer wants to participate in on the session I'm running this weekend for reasons™.

And I've been in a bidding war for a challenge coin.. min bid was $10 and now its up to 80.

Somebody shoot me... :-S

I just let the crown jewel of the LJN figures slip through my fingers like water. That was probably the one and only chance I'll ever have to pick one up for less than the "collector" prices people charge for them.

I am going to cry now.

Feel your pain

http://olduse.net/ is a real-time history, showing UseNet posts from 30 years ago, today. Be sure to download posts, as the available log is rather short.

UseNet was the internet before the internet; a world-wide forum in the days before forums. And it still exists today, a decades-old legacy. Although post count per month has had a sizeable drop, some groups are still active, and old groups can often be re-activated simply by posting.

Google publishes free access to UseNet under the name "Google Groups"; Thunderbird, possibly other e-mail clients, and dedicated UseNet reader apps, can all access UseNet natively.

A note of warning: By default, UseNet has no filters. Various access providers do implement their own filters. I would advise you to chose your access provider with that in mind; for example, ad-bots and spam-bots can be a problem.

is that what started the bbs craze?
BBSs, or Bulletin Board Systems, were (and are) a different phenomenon. They are most comparable to a single webpage; generally with a forum, e-mail, downloads section, and online games (generally multiplayer) included. Some BBSs also provided access to UseNet or other external services. Some still exist, and can be accessed with a *TelNet client. BBSs were typically accessed by connecting over a telephone line using specialized software and hardware. JrComm for the Amiga, for example, came with the ability to store BBS phone numbers, logins, and passwords. The hardware itself was a telephone modem; the same sort of device often used in rural areas today to provide an internet connection.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just found out that Sesame Street was first broadcast in 1969. Given who I was and how I was raised, that means I probably saw some of those earliest episodes when they initially aired!

That makes me feel odd...

I just found out that Sesame Street was first broadcast in 1969. Given who I was and how I was raised, that means I probably saw some of those earliest episodes when they initially aired!

That makes me feel odd...

I am in-American. I have never seen an episode of Sesame Street. ...and I was born in '69

Remove ads