Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
They did such a great job treating my sister's high BP, it went too low. She fell out going to the bathroom. They're keeping her another night.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That can happen. I was in the hospital recovering from ACL/MCL repair surgery, and my BP skyrocketed into the 190s due to pain induced by the knee-flexing Machine they had me in. So they tried me on a sublingual dose of a med that tasted of chocolate. It chopped 100 points off my BP in under an hour, and I passed right the hell out. Fortunately, I was already lying in a hospital bed...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Interesting.

I’m not going to gainsay the mathematician, but I was never taught either acronym, or the left to right convention.

What I was taught was that, the number in front of the parenthetical always applies to the parenthetical. Ditto an exponent, FWIW.) IOW, X(N) is always calculated as a single number first, X times N. Then, if you see something like the problem posited, you read it like a fraction: 8/2(2+2). That can’t be solved as 16, just as 1.

To get 16 out of the 8÷2(2+2) equation, you’d have to read it as (8÷2)(2+2), but that would violate the rule of grouping the parenthetical with its multiplier.

Remove ads