Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
So, last Monday, I had a tooth-ache on the upper left side of my mouth. By Tuesday, the pain had stopped, but the entire side of my face was swollen up. I went to the dentist on Wed., and they hooked me up with some antibiotics - amoxicillin with some kind of jumpstarter. Thursday, I had an appointment with an oral surgeon to discuss yanking the two messed up teeth, and they gave me an appointment for tomorrow to do the actual surgery. On Saturday, the teeth on the lower right side began hurting, and then Sunday that side of my face was swollen. :sick:
Good news was, I'm already on antibiotics, lol.
Also on Saturday morning, I ran out of heating oil for my furnace, so I've been boiling a kettle full of water every morning to take a bucket bath...
ANd then Sunday I ran out of my high blood pressure medicine.

Work has been ridiculous lately - nobody's driving the bus, and they're still asleep at the wheel... Oy.
I run a box-on-demand machine at work. I have all the different boxes we use programmed into the machine. Generally, when a job gets put on the schedule, they look to see how many master cases the job requires and if they have them already. If not, a work order is generated and I bang out however many they need before the job starts. However, there's no communication going on between departments and shifts, and new jobs get put on the schedule all the time - while we're waiting on components for a big job, they'll set up a small job to run, or switch a job from one line to another, bump a job off he schedule, etc. And nobody bothers to look to see if they have all the components they need for the job beforehand. :rolleyes: If the computer says we have six thousand of tube A, then one job that needs four thousand will look and say, great, we've got enough tubes, and then a second job that also needs four thousand of those tubes will look and also assume they have enough tubes for the job, when in reality they're actually short two thousand tubes.
When the component in question happens to be the master cases that I make, what invariably happens is someone coming down to me and asking if we have a certain (usually very large) number of box X, to which I generally reply, "Well, what does the computer say?", invariably followed by ,"Well, did you submit a work order for (large number) of box X?, No? Then, no, I'm not currently making the boxes you need - because no one told me I was supposed to." :( Friday morning I got hit with 1500 boxes nobody had previously informed me I needed to make - the computer though we had three thousand of them on hand because some idiot on the production floor hadn't been bothering to mark off the boxes as consumed in the system when they used them. Saturday, my boss discovered that another job was going to need those boxes as well, so I ended up with a work order for 6000 boxes (the 1500 I'd already done and another 4500).
And then, today, I discover that a different line needed 1300 of a different box, and then someone else inquired about a third box... After I finally put my foot down and announced that I could only piss on one fire at a time, and demanded that someone make a command decision as to which boxes I was supposed to run first, I finally got started and banged out the 1300 piece order which ran over into the second shift. Fortunately, the team that sometimes operates the box machine on second shift was available tonight. So I got them all set up and took off, having managed to get away with only half an hour of overtime.
And, three hours later, found myself back at work after they called me up with an error code that they couldn't figure out how to deal with. I couldn't figure it out over the phone, so I had to drive twenty minutes back to work and spent half an hour fixing what was wrong (some variable that should never have changed somehow got changed) and helping them set up the next job...
Now, I need to go the hell to bed so I can get to work tomorrow - I'm leaving work at 9:30 am for my 10:30 appt. to get my teeth yanked, then may or may not be going back into work afterward.

Yay me.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
At work I have to do invoices for the stores I deliver papers to. I've been doing it for a few months now. I would turn my paperwork on Tuesday night. Turns out this whole I should be doing it on Monday. Why no one corrected me on this I don't know. I have too many stores to get it done on Monday. So now I have do part on Sunday and part on Monday.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sometime, people forget to show the newbie all the hoops that need to be jumped though.

I worked at a tech giant for a couple weeks before someone realized I hadn’t gotten my photo ID. I hadn’t gotten it because nobody told me I needed one...NOR the prerequisite drug test and half-day security & safety orientation day.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I don't know why scifi tv shows kill off a character and leave no trace of a body. Yeah, I'm looking at you Flash. We all know the trope. No body means not really dead. SMH

Remove ads