Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I think I mentioned that my youngest niece and nephew are adopted from Guatemala. My mom told me my sister is reluctant to send them back to school because how badly the virus has appeared to affect the Hispanic community. I've been thinking about this. That's assuming that the reason is some how tired to their ethnicity. I'm not sure it is. I think it's more due to their cultural aspect. The close family and community bonds. The literal closeness. The larger family groups. The black community is probably affected the same for the same reasons. I think it's a bad idea for them to go because they could be exposed to the virus and bring it home with them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
All kinds of things could factor into the different risks based on race/ethnicity. Systemic racism is one, but is fairly unlikely in this case.

But they’re finding out that blood type is correlating with different risk levels, and if true, it’s also possible that blood type percentages vary between racial demographics.

There could also be slight variables in other genetic factors that alter someone‘s risks because of their race. Sickle cell anemia and sickle cell trait are more common in black populations...because we evolved in close association with certain diseases that (peversely) the trait actually helps combat. So, while the DISEASE is a death sentence, the trait is (in some places) a biological advantage for survival.

Soooo much we still don’t know about this monster.

Personally, I don’t begrudge ANY parent for minimizing their kids’ risks of getting this MF bug. Hell, just last night, I was reading about teacher protests and early retirements being triggered by some of the government plans to reopen the schools, so that discussion is getting more complex by the day.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I thought I had read that black people have had a higher chance of catching it than white people, though I'm not sure what I read went into the specifics of WHY that might be the case. Still, regardless of that, I'm pretty sure everyone should be cautious when it comes to returning to schools in the fall, because when they're mixed, the virus is going to spread. I suppose there might be a case that children in public schools are more at risk than private schools, but I went to a private school and know that children are children and petty much everyone will be at risk regardless of where they go to school.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Kids are disease vectors. Period. End of story. They don’t practice safe hygiene. They’re inconstant in obeying the rules they DO understand.

Even if an individual child is not as likely to spread Covid-19 as adults, there‘s the tyranny of numbers effect- more kids per given room than there would be adults means the virus has more chances to spread.

Add to that the survivability of the virus in enclosed spaces Vs open air and all of a sudden, teachers are the space marines on a bug hunt...

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I just read something comparing the fight against masks to the fight against seat belts. I wonder if any of them are the same people.

Remove ads