D&D 5E Has anyone fought and killed a Tarrasque?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In practice, I don't think the cheese methods would actually work, due to a combination of movement and reach and readied actions. A low-level Fly spell would wear off before anyone could kill the Tarrasque, and it's not just going to stand there motionless while you try.

Yeah. It requires a white room where the Tarrasque just sits there and lets you beat it to death. It doesn't work in game play.

Dualazi

First Post
Yeah. It requires a white room where the Tarrasque just sits there and lets you beat it to death. It doesn't work in game play.

That's because it never needed to. If you want some chuckles at people's obstinate need to argue you can dredge up some of the older threads, which will also let you see some of the counter-arguments and counter-counter arguments.

The important takeaway wasn't actually whether or not the mage wins, it's to highlight how disproportionately effective alternate movement methods like flight are at warping the game, chiefly due to a great number of creatures having no effective ranged options, and it's a critique that's very true, at least insofar as the 5e MM is concerned.

pemerton

Legend
The important takeaway wasn't actually whether or not the mage wins, it's to highlight how disproportionately effective alternate movement methods like flight are at warping the game, chiefly due to a great number of creatures having no effective ranged options, and it's a critique that's very true, at least insofar as the 5e MM is concerned.
That's why I gave my 4e tarrasque the ability to hurl rubble as a minor action, knocking the target to the ground (ranged 20 vs 1 creature: +32 vs Ref for 4d12+19, push 3 sq and knock prone). But in the end it was melee that defeated it.

surfarcher

First Post
In practice, I don't think the cheese methods would actually work, due to a combination of movement and reach and readied actions. A low-level Fly spell would wear off before anyone could kill the Tarrasque, and it's not just going to stand there motionless while you try.
In practice they do work in 4e. If you, the DM, play the monster like a damned idiot. I prefer to play monsters to their strengths - I assume they have some kind of instictive awareness of their abilities and how they work. In the end that's all it takes to deal with the cheese.

Unfortunately, that's written from a 3E perspective, with lots of assumptions about magical item availability. The monster has changed a lot since then, too.
Yeah I know It's still fun tho lol.

Exactly.

That's because it never needed to. If you want some chuckles at people's obstinate need to argue you can dredge up some of the older threads, which will also let you see some of the counter-arguments and counter-counter arguments.
Yeah it was a pretty funny time :) I would have linked to the WotC saga if their forums were still up :'(

Mind you playing the monster half well did the job too.

That's why I gave my 4e tarrasque the ability to hurl rubble as a minor action, knocking the target to the ground (ranged 20 vs 1 creature: +32 vs Ref for 4d12+19, push 3 sq and knock prone). But in the end it was melee that defeated it.
I considered this. I posted on the WotC thread a ranged tweak myself. I don't think it's needed tho.

Didn't the Tarrasque in 4E have a gravity field that forced everyone into melee range? I thought I remembered that from somewhere, but it's not in the Monster Manual, so I can't check.

surfarcher

First Post
Didn't the Tarrasque in 4E have a gravity field that forced everyone into melee range? I thought I remembered that from somewhere, but it's not in the Monster Manual, so I can't check.
You mean "Earthbinding aura". It's on page 13. That only deals with critters within (or above) 40 feet.

You mean "Earthbinding aura". It's on page 13. That only deals with critters within (or above) 40 feet.
Right. It's classified as an Abomination, which is why it's not listed in the Table of Contents. I knew I was forgetting something.

It says "Aura 40" so I was under the impression that it worked out to 200 feet, which is also the maximum range on the long bow. Even if there are ways to attack from further away than that, I don't see how letting it fling rubble to half that range would help it much (beyond just giving it an extra attack every round).

knasser

First Post

That's a very good idea and both fits perfectly with the creature so no-one can (or at least should) call foul, but at the same time could catch some smug PCs off-guard beautfully.

I think if they tried that in my game, then after a few rounds of being pelted from above Big T would throw back his head, make a Godzilla-like screech and a few rounds after that, his winged-buddy would show up. Hey, if Tarasque is a Godzilla knock-off, I can add his Mothra-knockoff friend. ;)

Tormyr

Adventurer
The easy way to do the rock is to grab the storm giant's rock attack but don't give the tarrasque proficiency, or you can give it proficiency since it does not get a multiattack with the rock.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 (+19 with proficiency) to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 35 (4d12 + 9) bludgeoning damage.

Remove ads