D&D General Has the OGL/WotC debacle motivated you to create your own Fantasy Heartbreaker or homebrew?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Honestly, once I see what is added to Common Core, I could see having a Scrivener file and poking at this periodically and seeing what I produce. The challenge of making it not-D&D while still making it be something I'd like to play and DM would be fun.

Off the top of my head, something with an Adventure Time vibe would likely speak to me and my players.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Alright, well now that the core rules are creative commons I'm 100% making my own 5e clone.

Sure most of what was made freely useable was probably not really copyrightable, but the clone or quasi-clone creator can now adopt whatever they want of it wholesale with no worries about a cease and desist letter from WotC making them revise the entire core of their game. And the path to making games whose content is broadly intercompatible with 5e/OneD&D and each other got much clearer.

Whether anything will come of the project, I don't know, but it feels much more achievable now.
The do what with who now?

Did I miss more news? This week is way too busy.

The do what with who now?

Did I miss more news? This week is way too busy.
I don't know what you missed exactly. Today along with the newest OGL draft, WotC made the "core rules" of the 5.1 SRD (basically everything but the specific races, classes, monsters, spells, feats, and backgrounds) creative commons on an attribution license. That's what I was referencing.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I’m not interested in doing a fantasy heartbreaker when there is a sudden rush by… thousands? I’ll wait.

But my interest has spiked for getting off my rear and doing conversions of my favorite D&D settings to play using Worlds Without Number. Especially Dark Sun. I’ve found some components of Dark Sun done by others, but not everything.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I've thought about it, but I'm not sure there's anything that I'd want to do that couldn't already be done by Burning Wheel or Torchbearer. Part of me would love to take DOGS and try and make a fantasy heartbreaker in that, mostly because I've never had a moment in any game that felt as good when I was a player as using a frying pan to stop a bullet in a conflict in a game of Dogs in the Vineyard (perfect combo of system and narrative moment), but I feel like it might be an awkward fit?

doctorbadwolf

I don't know what you missed exactly. Today along with the newest OGL draft, WotC made the "core rules" of the 5.1 SRD (basically everything but the specific races, classes, monsters, spells, feats, and backgrounds) creative commons on an attribution license. That's what I was referencing.
Obviously, that is what I had missed. Not sure how that could be a mystery.

Had a guy off work to deal with his kid passing suddenly, and another injured himself welding without PPE, so today was not a day wherein I looked at enworld in the middle of the day.

doctorbadwolf

Having caught up, yeah, tbh I will almost certainly go ahead and publish D&D stuff in the future, and continue to play D&D , and be open pending the next months and years of wotc behavior to give them money when they make a thing I want.

glass

(he, him)
Alright, well now that the core rules are creative commons I'm 100% making my own 5e clone.
Not "now" AIUI; the whole document is Draft. Possibly at some point in the future, although I would not put it past WotC to claim that there was negative feedback on the CC thing and wriggle out of it.

(IANAL, TINLA.)

Stormonu

Legend
Not prompted to create it, only to use what I've already made. WotC management cannot and MUST NOT be trusted. Any and all ideas I had about doing anything with 5E I have given up. I will touch no new edition material. I will buy NOTHING they publish under an OGL modified by THEM. I will support the ORC license and the publishers who use it, as well as those who produce their own specific OGL and those who will use no OGL at all. But at present, and for the FAR forseeable future, I will buy no Wizards game materials. If invited into a 5E game I will use no WotC VTT, will not use D&D Beyond, will buy no new materials and if OTHERS in the game give them money for any of those things I will decline further participation. This will, sadly, be maintained for me until WotC have established/RE-established a PROVEN track record that can be trusted, and they have abandoned all further attempts to use modifications to the original OGL for their selfish purposes and embrace it as the SELFLESS document it was originally created to be.
I mean, you have to do what you feel is right for you, but this seems a bit extreme.

For myself, if Hasbro/Wotc puts out D&D product I like, I'm not afraid to buy it. But as a 3rd party publisher, I would not trust them in the future to publish anything under any future version of the OGL until it at least has the word Irrevocable in it (and there are some other sticking points for me at the moment, such as the Ethical Comics Code it includes).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm curious how many folks here have seriously considered writing their own game, homebrew rules or setting for their favorite game(s) after the WotC dumpster fire?
The 4th edition dumpster fire? Yeah, I wrote a game after WotC tanked 3rd ed. Or more accurately, after WotC put 3e on hold for a while.

. . . I will put it under a creative commons license and the plan is, that it will be a modular system that people can easily adjust and extend to their own liking. So it will be really more an RPG System Creation Engine than a game itself, but Games will be the endproduct.
Cool! If you need any inspiration, check out my creative commons, modular system that people can adjust and extend, Modos RPG 🤓

Remove ads