Has WotC saturated the published adventure market or are the two latest adventures not very popular?

CapnZapp

Legend
Has anyone else noticed an apparent lack of interest in discussing the content in the latest pair of adventures?

What do you think?
Dragon Heist: Not a heist.

Mad Mage: not even an adventure, just loads of random dungeon levels.

So I consider the lack of interest quite natural, but I can only speak for myself.

Fatigue and timing.

Fatigue. There has been so much hype for so long, I know I'm tired of it. Many people don't need another adventure yet.
Holidays; saving for gifts, plus people have been busy in the US with Thanksgiving and family taking up their time.
Plus DH maps were very unsatisfactory for many and the DoMM maps are not getting significantly better reviews.

Mepher

Adventurer
We finished Dragon Heist and the players enjoyed it. We are diving into the big dungeon next week. Both have their flaws, but ultimately are usable.

I'm looking forward to running Dungeon of the Mad Mage, because it appears to require less adventure prep work out of me.

Dragon Heist has taken a lot of prep work on my part. I love the Urban setting but I think the adventure itself needed a lot of work to make it usable. I have DOMM and we will move to that after they wrap up Dragon Heist but I don't expect to run it as a whole. It will be treks down below from time to time with plenty of topside urban adventures mixed between.

Retreater

Legend
Maybe now's the time to start publishing smaller adventures? Even if they're not like the old 32 page ones that spanned three levels, maybe more along the lines of Dragon Heist that span five levels (I'm thinking more like Red Hand of Doom rather than something the size of a 1-11th level campaign book that is only useful for five levels).

Nebulous

Legend
I'm still doing ToA. If I were to do another adventure, the Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss both look excellent. Plus, i personally hate the monochrome maps in the new books.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
One of the reasons the new books aren't being discussed much is probably that they are somewhat odd.

The map style and target audience are different.

Furthermore, not everyone is fortunate enough (like I am) to have received a copy immediately.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I have zero interest in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. There's very little that's new and interesting; and I cannot stand those maps. I will probably end up buying Dragon Heist eventually, but its a short adventure. My feeling is that Mad Mage will be a bit of a harsh sell, Dragon Heist will taper off, and then they'll have the next adventure with pirates and such (only a theory, but the giant ship mini seems like a pretty good signpost), which will hopefully garner more in the way of traffic. I also think that Ravnica put off some of the normal 5e crowd who were expecting something better suited to other settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dragon Heist seemed about the same level of chatter as earlier APs; Mad Mage is a different animal (no plot to speak of, for instance), and has been out in stores for several days alongside another book. Also, Christmas.

Remove ads