Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

Like things are seriously bad now. As far as I can tell it's not effecting the D&D, yet.

This is mostly MtG side, over printing products, and having an insane amount of products. Like it makes 2e TSR look restrained in comparsion, but FIRE, they made MtG into a billion dollar brand, but allowed the rest of Hasbro to fail, so they ended up over dependant MtG and to a lesser extent to keep Hasbro going and profitable, and there are signs that they milked MtG dry. The Dominaria sets are NOT doing well.

Of course this weird current economy

A double downgrade on top of all the other problems like a fast dropping stock is utter disaster. The D&D movie needs to kick some serious ass next year.

Were does Chris Cox turn too to save the day? Not other Hasbro brands that is for sure.

Also he's stuck with a ton of sets to sell at least for the next couple of years because 2023's main line up has already been announced, and 2024 are already not fair from being finished.

I think what he could do is lower print runs like other TCGs have. He can space out Secret Lairs more, except for D&D and Universes Beyond ones.

He's going to have to start selling off some Hasbro stuff, not WotC because let's be honest if he sold WotC he may as well torch the rest of Hasbro for the insurance money, because Hasbro will die off. But certain parts of EOne, some less popular brands, maybe Power Rangers, etc..., could sold off.

Yes, but did you read the whole thing, or maybe this is not in that specific article, but part of the downgrade is them accusing WotC/Hasbro of overproducing Magic cards, thus devaluing the collectible value part of it being a CCG. I did not see if this was just applying to the new sets or if they are being accused of doing this for longer.

Scribe

Legend
I dont think its going to be that dramatic. The issue is a self inflicted wound that the MTG leadership could have, should have, and likely DID, see coming.

I've said it many times, Forsythe and Maro are not idiots. They knew the damage they were doing to the game, and, well, its come home to roost now.

Is it going to hurt D&D? I dont know, I dont think so, but maybe some belt tightening happens, because as we all know, there is only one acceptable answer for capitalists.

How much profit is needed? More.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is it going to hurt D&D? I dont know, I dont think so, but maybe some belt tightening happens, because as we all know, there is only one acceptable answer for capitalists.

How much profit is needed? More.
Yeah a lot of companies are struggling in the face of circumstance that just cooperate with the public ally traded megacorps business model. My own company keeps telling us we are failing to hit goals because our revenue isn’t higher than it was in 2021.

I think the same mindset is hurting Hasbro right now. You aren’t going to beat 2021 in 2022, as a luxury product maker. (Even autoparts can’t, and it’s essential)
People aren’t getting hundreds of extra dollars in covid relief money, and vastly fewer people have significant spare time.

This is mostly MtG side, over printing products, and having an insane amount of products. Like it makes 2e TSR look restrained in comparsion
I saw this graphic a few weeks ago, and I was like, holy crap!

MTG30.PNG

Random Task

Explorer
At least Magic has the advantage of being a game that people actually need the card to play and future sets can add cool things that people want to be able to use in game. Baseball cards, on the other hand, were going to be an amazing collectible investment in the 1980s and 1990s but all the manufacturers produced so many cards at the time that they're not worth anything now and pretty much tanked the hobby for decades.

Zardnaar

Legend
Threw in the towel on magic when they made mythics.

Contacted some old friends and watched some videos. Seems to be to much low value product, to many lines/formats supported (standards in trouble the old type 2). And a lot of product at absurd prices milking the whales.

aco175

Legend
When I read the thread title my thoughts were about how often this happens and how common it is for companies. The company could go up and down like this several times over the last few years and it could be nothing. I do not know. I could also be several nails in the coffin and we need the Kermit meme waving his hands in the air panicking.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases