Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Threw in the towel on magic when they made mythics.

Contacted some old friends and watched some videos. Seems to be to much low value product, to many lines/formats supported (standards in trouble the old type 2). And a lot of product at absurd prices milking the whales.
I threw in the towel in the mid 90s and sold all my cards. Which turns out was a big mistake, because I had no idea they would end up being so valuable only a few years later. doh! I sold them to a buddy for $250 I think. the last time I checked, I'd had thousands of dollars worth in today's value (I had a ton of the first few years of Magic cards, but no black lotus alas)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hasbro has been on a steady down trend for the past year, not just with this recent news.

1668532487782.png

Zardnaar

Legend
Hasbro has been on a steady down trend for the past year, not just with this recent news.

View attachment 266761

Difference is a few on YouTube were mentioning it but now it's become a thing as revenue is down as well.

The cards are also reliant on the secondary market. Retailers have been stuck with product they can't sell. The product is worth less on secondary market than wholesale price.

darjr

I crit!
I wonder if NFTs and the recent crash of those and the realization that they were “nothing” has any impact. Like folks always new it was just cardboard and an artificial market for Magic Cards. But like NFTs, it was somewhat dependent on believing the other person still wanted them.

Scribe

Legend
I wonder if NFTs and the recent crash of those and the realization that they were “nothing” has any impact. Like folks always new it was just cardboard and an artificial market for Magic Cards. But like NFTs, it was somewhat dependent on believing the other person still wanted them.

People absolutely DID want them. Thats the point.

It used to be, proxy was simply not permitted, and the 'best' magic was competitive, tournament magic, in person.

That meant, if you wanted to play a certain deck, you had to own the real cards, that were as scarce as Wizards wanted.

Supply, Demand, Artificial Scarcity, and perceived value, were all very real in terms of the secondary market. I had cards go from $60 per, to $6, over night due to a combination of reprint, deck competitiveness (aka demand) and the general decline of competitive in person play.

I dont even want to look at the remaining handful of cards I have left, to see the 'value' they have retained.

darjr

I crit!
People absolutely DID want them. Thats the point.

It used to be, proxy was simply not permitted, and the 'best' magic was competitive, tournament magic, in person.

That meant, if you wanted to play a certain deck, you had to own the real cards, that were as scarce as Wizards wanted.

Supply, Demand, Artificial Scarcity, and perceived value, were all very real in terms of the secondary market. I had cards go from $60 per, to $6, over night due to a combination of reprint, deck competitiveness (aka demand) and the general decline of competitive in person play.

I dont even want to look at the remaining handful of cards I have left, to see the 'value' they have retained.
Yea, but it seemed to me there was always a nudge and a wink about them being cardboard crack or just cardstock.

Art Waring

halozix.com
And don't forget speculators that drive prices up really fast when other people start buying a certain card on the secondary market. Or when EDH started getting really popular and dual and special lands were going up in price wayyy too much. Its a strange market to be in, but perhaps it is in need of a revaluation to keep the game healthy.

Scribe

Legend
Which is also actually rare, isn’t it? And it’s wonderful to work with for jewelry, isn’t it?

Diamonds are probably a better analogy.

But I get it.

I was watching some shows about Gold, both from a mining, and historical value perspective. Its interesting. Yes its rare (scarcity) but other than it being non-reactive, and not TOO rare (you could mint it and carry it around) what is it really? Just a stupid metal, that wouldnt hold up as a tool.

We decide what has value as much as any meaningful property of the item at hand.

Remove ads