Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now you all see why the D&D side of the house slowed the supplement pipeline down so much. Saturating your own market hurts you.

...My own company keeps telling us we are failing to hit goals because our revenue isn’t higher than it was in 2021.

I think the same mindset is hurting Hasbro right now. You aren’t going to beat 2021 in 2022, as a luxury product maker. (Even autoparts can’t, and it’s essential)

Unfortunately, the pervasive economic models use continuous growth as their only real metric for health. Being comfortably consistent isn't considered healthy - so companies will overreach to meet ever-growing goals, and inevitably fail. This sets us up for the "boom and bust" pattern we see in modern the modern economy, on the scale of individual companies, in industries, and in the economy as a whole.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Unfortunately, the pervasive economic models use continuous growth as their only real metric for health. Being comfortably consistent isn't considered healthy - so companies will overreach to meet ever-growing goals, and inevitably fail. This sets us up for the "boom and bust" pattern we see in modern the modern economy, on the scale of individual companies, in industries, and in the economy as a whole.

Even apart from the instability due to speculation, there is the instability due to the characteristic of human nature that a large proportion of our positive activities depend on spontaneous optimism rather than mathematical expectations, whether moral or hedonistic or economic. Most, probably, of our decisions to do something positive, the full consequences of which will be drawn out over many days to come, can only be taken as the result of animal spirits—a spontaneous urge to action rather than inaction, and not as the outcome of a weighted average of quantitative benefits multiplied by quantitative probabilities.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Now you all see why the D&D side of the house slowed the supplement pipeline down so much. Saturating your own market hurts you.
Yeeeep.
Absolutely. And we are all caught in the middle, even those who aren’t employed by these companies. Meanwhile, when the company tanks, the people go made it tank just walk away with basically no consequence.

It's interesting to see it broken down by brand performance:

1668528231904.png

But ultimately, Hasbro is still making gobs of money, and it's hard to believe it's a sinking ship when they're still making that much money. But I suppose if one thing has been made clear by recent years, it's that corporations are never satisfied with a ton of money when they could have a gigaton of money.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But ultimately, Hasbro is still making gobs of money, and it's hard to believe it's a sinking ship when they're still making that much money. But I suppose if one thing has been made clear by recent years, it's that corporations are never satisfied with a ton of money when they could have a gigaton of money.

Well, we should also remember, this evaluation is specifically about the value of the stock, which is not directly (and often not at all) linked to things non-stock-buyers think are measures of success - like absolute revenues or profits. The stock market is today rather focused on short to medium gains for people who trade stock, rather than caring about the long term. It is thus typically more interested in short-term fluctuations than long term performance.

You are right, it's more complicated than just measuring revenue and profit. Which is why I am glad I am an IT worker, not a stock broker or anything like that!

Well, we should also remember, this evaluation is specifically about the value of the stock, which is not directly (and often not at all) linked to things non-stock-buyers think are measures of success - like absolute revenues or profits. The stock market is today rather focused on short to medium gains for people who trade stock, rather than caring about the long term. It is thus typically more interested in short-term fluctuations than long term performance.

Remove ads