WotC Hasbro Earnings Call: WotC/BG3 carrying Hasbro

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This thread was a lot more interesting when it was about earnings and the implications for the game rather than taking personal shots at everyone under the sun.
You're just saying that because you're a ninny who hates [thread topic] and people who like/hate [thread topic].

Let's rebember the Christmas are "just around the corner" ( = very close) and it is the days when more toys are sold. We should rethink the situation after that date.

My concern is 2024 to be a bad year for global economy, not only for Hasbro but also for the rest of megacorporations. Some companies could agree a merger to avoid being acquired by a foreign rival.

I suspect now Hasbro is more focused into products for fandom collectors than toys for children.

delericho

Legend
dancing while playing the lute, like Chris Pine in the movie?

There's no historical issue about people of colour being depicted as Chris Pine. Sadly, there is a big issue with their having been depicted as monkeys. So a picture of a space monkey dancing in a manner evocative of old minstrel styles is problematic in a way Chris Pine dancing is not.

I am not aware of them pulping anything.

I've rechecked, and it appears that they didn't recall or pulp product. But they did apologise publicly and corrected the art in the reprints. (And, indeed, the text - I'd forgotten about the "white saviour" back story that they'd also added for the Hadozee. They really screwed that one up.)

No harm in apologizing and replacing / removing the picture if it offends part of your audience, certainly better than doubling down (which, let’s face it, they have no reason to do, this picture was not driven by racism). I see this as a tempest in a teacup, nowhere near a disaster

Being forced into an abject and public apology, for racism no less, is a disaster. Far more so than if the product had simply flopped - at least then the losses would have been financial, and relatively easy to recover. But reputational damage, that's much harder to fix.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's no historical issue about people of colour being depicted as Chris Pine. Sadly, there is a big issue with their having been depicted as monkeys. So a picture of a space monkey dancing in a manner evocative of old minstrel styles is problematic in a way Chris Pine dancing is not.

I've rechecked, and it appears that they didn't recall or pulp product. But they did apologise publicly and corrected the art in the reprints. (And, indeed, the text - I'd forgotten about the "white saviour" back story that they'd also added for the Hadozee. They really screwed that one up.)

Being forced into an abject and public apology, for racism no less, is a disaster. Far more so than if the product had simply flopped - at least then the losses would have been financial, and relatively easy to recover. But reputational damage, that's much harder to fix.
Here's the thing: it has sold well, do it is not a disaster for thr bottom line. It was probably a disaster for individuals in the company, considering that there were shake-ups in leadership pretty immediately. But for the bottom line? Not in the longterm, because fixes we made. "Embarresment," yes. Disaster? Too strong.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Let's rebember the Christmas are "just around the corner" ( = very close) and it is the days when more toys are sold. We should rethink the situation after that date.

My concern is 2024 to be a bad year for global economy, not only for Hasbro but also for the rest of megacorporations. Some companies could agree a merger to avoid being acquired by a foreign rival.

I suspect now Hasbro is more focused into products for fandom collectors than toys for children.
Both Habro and Mattel have said they expect a down holiday season.

So despite beating expectations for Q3 Hasbro stock went down.

Additionally, according to Cocks's statements the problem with the toys category was over inventory for minor brands that people don't buy. It's not at all about kids versus adults.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So what happens if this continues?
Restructuring, possibly. The issue doesn't seem to be Hasbro messing up, parti ularly, it's a luxury goods company getting hammered when people are paying more for milk and bread...mainly. also, everyone at Hasbro has to pay more for milk and bread, their vendors have to pay more for milk and bread, etc...

And rheybare still making money. The economy just really, really socks, and Hasbro is not well positioned to thrive when that happens. Except for WotC, because Magic and D&D are pretty darn cost effective hobbies (moatly).

Clint_L

Hero
D&D is a weird brand. It has enormous name recognition, far more than, say, Magic the Gathering, which despite much higher sales remains very much a niche hobby (ask most folks about D&D and they'll have an opinion or at least know vaguely what it is, ask them about MtG and you will likely get a blank stare). I can totally see why Hasbro think that it is under-monetized, especially when they see the sales for BG3.

The good news is I don't think D&D is in any danger, regardless of what happens to Hasbro. It remains a strong and coveted brand, and even if Hasbro went under, WotC/D&D would be immediately snatched up by someone else.

Remove ads