Hasbro/WotC has crossed the Trust Thermocline

Yaarel

He Mage
just a flat "this is going to keep happening. This is not the worst they will do." I'm just done, and I suspect a lot of other people are, too.
Exactly. This is the harm to the gaming community that Hasbro-WotC is willing to do even when they are trying to do damage control.

Hasbro-WotC will do things that are worse and worse from here.

They would be monstrous if the only way to do roleplaying games.

I won’t put trust in a corporation that makes 1.3B revenue. they won’t come to help if I’m in needs!

I expect that Wotc show a nice public image. Which they fail during the OGL affair, but for now they handle the damage control nicely.

I expect that they manage continuity and improvement over the initial PHB.
For now pretty good with Xanathar, Tasha, and the first drafts of OneDnd.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Though in many ways we may still be in the slow decline phase overall. If you take the rest of the wider general player base into account.

Most of them may not have any idea if any of this.

We may just be too close and in the front cars that have already gone off the cliff.

Those of us with issues with this OGL thing that is.
Assume a maximum of 99,999 people canceled their subscription to D&D Beyond, that isbless than 1% of the user base. Definitely enough to scare management into a change of direction, well and good, but...that still leaves 10 millio+ people using Beyond.

Question is, is it a train heading off of a cliff, or are the managers who apparently think ot will blow over in a fee months right...? We'll probably see when the movie comes out. Right now, the PHB is #147 in all books on Amazon, so this may end up being a bifurcation I'm the fanbase rather than the End Times.

When there is different management at WOTC/Hasbro, I think that trust can be regained, but knowing that these people thought that changing the OGL was a good idea, they are going to have to go well above and beyond the quality of the product they have been putting out recently to regain my custom. If all the C level people get wiped out in the next management level shakeup and they bring in new people who are communicative and are enthusiastic about open gaming, I will think a lot better about the brand.

Stormonu

Legend
I remember using the thermocline in the Silent Service video game to evade surface destroyer's radar. And I do feel that WotC's definately crossed the line (multiple times, multiple ways) to destroy the goodwill they'd been building for the last 8-10 years.

Run Silent, Run Deep. The torpedo is running, straight towards WotC's cargo ships....

Muso

Explorer
I find myself in complete agreement with the analysis. If I think about some of the complaints of the last period I seem to see just that (Ravenloft nice but very sweetened, the manuals with crossovers with Magic to the detriment of what the fan base has been asking for years, i.e. the settings, some things that the 5th edition promised and never really did, for example modularity, etc). In Italy, the localisation was bad with bad translations (to be kind). And finally the OGL bombshell. At this point the avalanche has started.

I find myself in complete agreement with the analysis. If I think about some of the complaints of the last period I seem to see just that (Ravenloft nice but very sweetened, the manuals with crossovers with Magic to the detriment of what the fan base has been asking for years, i.e. the settings, some things that the 5th edition promised and never really did, for example modularity, etc). In Italy, the localisation was bad with bad translations (to be kind). And finally the OGL bombshell. At this point the avalanche has started.
I didn't mind the D&D/MTG setting crossovers -- at least, the Ravnica and Theros ones. Strixhaven can die in a fire for all I care. Theros, meanwhile, took a plane I had been middling on and really deepened it to the point I actively wanted to run a game in it -- especially with all the 3PP stuff I found surrounding it.

I do get the complaints, though -- I definitely wanted to see Planescape long before now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases