D&D General have we had a player race of undead?

Voadam

Legend
true but the core is the blood-sucking monster of the night which has not changed never heard of a myth of undead hating the living utterly more either eating them or being angry for being wrong.
OK so folklore vampires, like Eastern European pre-Dracula monsters risen from the grave to prey upon people and other variations from around the world. Sometimes literally the damned, or arising from curses such as from not being baptized or whatever. Lots of folklore with lots of variations leading to dead people rising up to prey upon the living. In any case usually sentient people preying upon people, similar to a mind flayer's situation. So not necessarily hating all life, just evilly preying upon people because of their situation/condition which is different from animals being predators. A lion eating a person would generally be considered neutral but Aslan choosing to do so would be considered to have moral culpability.

There is a difference between sentients preying upon the living and straight out hating the living, so yes, vampires are more classically evil predators.

As sentient predators there is room for variation, those who do it utilitarianly, those who revel in preying upon the living and do it more, and those who try to actively minimize their harm.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
OK so folklore vampires, like Eastern European pre-Dracula monsters risen from the grave to prey upon people and other variations from around the world. Sometimes literally the damned, or arising from curses such as from not being baptized or whatever. Lots of folklore with lots of variations leading to dead people rising up to prey upon the living. In any case usually sentient people preying upon people, similar to a mind flayer's situation. So not necessarily hating all life, just evilly preying upon people because of their situation/condition which is different from animals being predators. A lion eating a person would generally be considered neutral but Aslan choosing to do so would be considered to have moral culpability.

There is a difference between sentients preying upon the living and straight out hating the living, so yes, vampires are more classically evil predators.

As sentient predators there is room for variation, those who do it utilitarianly, those who revel in preying upon the living and do it more, and those who try to actively minimize their harm.
they also believed all evil would join together which is not how evil works.
but my issue is not with vampires being blood-sucking monsters.
it is not evil that they eat humans unless you really go for the old Abrahamic belife in blood-sucking being somehow the worst crime ever they are antagonist you do not need a sob story to kill the bear that eat you cow.
it can't be moral if you have no choice in it, an obligate carnivore like aslan eating meat is a necessity for biological function as Jesus's furry costume is not immune to hunger or bankruptcy but is immune to nearly everything else.

regardless vampires is not every type of undead which was more my point.

That's debatable. The term "undead" was coined by Bram Stoker specifically to describe Dracula. Zombies? Those are really just living people drugged into believing they are dead. Ghouls? Living people who survive off corpses - common in war zones. Skeletons? Invented by the 1963 Jason and the Argonauts movie. Previously, the children of the hydra's teeth where described as "knights".

But if you want to add a playable species you need to start with "what are the popular tropes associated with that thing". And when is comes to undead protagonists those are "I have to control my inner monster" and/or "I have to hide my true nature because the living believe my kind are monsters and hunt them". What it says in the creature type box is just to try and fit the game mechanics to the tropes. It's not the starting point. And yes, 5e already has this.

When you say "I am making X" but "my X has none of the tropes associated with X" then you aren't really making X at all. You original post might as well be "have we had a player race of wamfoozles?"

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

That's debatable. The term "undead" was coined by Bram Stoker specifically to describe Dracula. Zombies? Those are really just living people drugged into believing they are dead. Ghouls? Living people who survive off corpses - common in war zones. Skeletons? Invented by the 1963 Jason and the Argonauts movie. Previously, the children of the hydra's teeth where described as "knights".

But if you want to add a playable species you need to start with "what are the popular tropes associated with that thing". And when is comes to undead protagonists those are "I have to control my inner monster" and/or "I have to hide my true nature because the living believe my kind are monsters and hunt them". What it says in the creature type box is just to try and fit the game mechanics to the tropes. It's not the starting point. And yes, 5e already has this.

When you say "I am making X" but "my X has none of the tropes associated with X" then you aren't really making X at all. You original post might as well be "have we had a player race of wamfoozles?"
one of those is a lot more usable for a race than the other as controlling your inner monster is a class in d&d not a race.

For the Hodgepocalypse, I did the Kamidavers. They are undead stunt people that were animated by the Fallen Lords. They were given free will and most left because of it.

Now they wander the North American looking for cheap thrills. As far as they are concerned, people trying to shoot them on sight is part of the fun.

Yes they are a viable pc species.

In fact, one of my PCs used one to make an undead version of the drill sergent from full metal jacket for his pc.

Wamfoozle Traits

As a wamfoozle you have the following traits:

Creature Type. You are Undead.
Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this species.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.
Unusual Nature. As an undead creature, you do not require air, food, drink, or to poop. However, you sleep and dream as if your were alive.
Positive Energy Undead. You are resistant to radiant energy damage and the spells Cure Wounds and Healing Word affect you as if your type was humanoid. You are immune to the effects of Turn Undead.

In [campaign setting name] wamfoozles [setting specific lore].

Voadam

Legend
they also believed all evil would join together which is not how evil works.
Not sure what they you are referring to here.
but my issue is not with vampires being blood-sucking monsters.
it is not evil that they eat humans unless you really go for the old Abrahamic belife in blood-sucking being somehow the worst crime ever they are antagonist you do not need a sob story to kill the bear that eat you cow.
it can't be moral if you have no choice in it, an obligate carnivore like aslan eating meat is a necessity for biological function as Jesus's furry costume is not immune to hunger or bankruptcy but is immune to nearly everything else.
Aslan eating meat is generally considered morally different from sentient Aslan killing and eating other sentients.

Most consider the mindflayers preying upon other sentients as evil and not morally neutral, even with it being part of their diet. Vampires who kill their prey would not be different. 5e liches sacrificing souls regularly to stay alive would not generally be considered morally neutral.
Sure, but most D&D undead are mostly based on fiction or D&D's own 40+ year tradition lore where they are malevolent evil spirits that prey upon people. Some ghosts are not necessarily evil in ghost stories and some D&D being the big exception. Howard's dead skeletal wizards (lich) are evil. Barrow wights and Nazgul are evil in Tolkien and this follows on for wights and AD&D spectres. Mummies in the classic movies are generally just curse punishment killing machines for trespassing.

Mind of tempest

It's nether. It's a gameplay decision made by the player. "Today I will not be a murder hobo."
murderhobo was an adaptation to how the game was made, plus people's desire for action without consequences.
Not sure what they you are referring to here.
it was an old belief about the monster in the old days of Europe.
Aslan eating meat is generally considered morally different from sentient Aslan killing and eating other sentients.

Most consider the mindflayers preying upon other sentients as evil and not morally neutral, even with it being part of their diet. Vampires who kill their prey would not be different. 5e liches sacrificing souls regularly to stay alive would not generally be considered morally neutral.
what is made of mean and non sentient? nothing.

mindflayer being in conflict with humans needs nothing to do with evil, whether they are evil is irrelevant to the conflict.

Sure, but most D&D undead are mostly based on fiction or D&D's own 40+ year tradition lore where they are malevolent evil spirits that prey upon people. Some ghosts are not necessarily evil in ghost stories and some D&D being the big exception. Howard's dead skeletal wizards (lich) are evil. Barrow wights and Nazgul are evil in Tolkien and this follows on for wights and AD&D spectres. Mummies in the classic movies are generally just curse punishment killing machines for trespassing.
that does not mean they half to be evil, being made of evil and choosing evil are different.

nazgul were corrupted closer to reforged than any other idea into weapons more tragic than some one who want to be cruel.

given howards ideas on good and evil are so removed from much of what both of us would agree it would be better to not even talk about it.

mummies are a good example they have nothing to do with evil instead having conflict with you over who gets stuff.

Remove ads