• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you played D&D in a foreign language?

Li Shenron

Legend
Zappo said:
"Vuolsi cosi' cola' dove si puote cio' che si vuole, e piu' non dimandare..."
=
"Thus is wanted there, where what is wanted can be, and don't ask any more..."
Virgilio, Dante's tout through Baator, told this to a baatezu who didn't want clueless Dante to pass to the next layer. :D
Mine is a quick translation, if it isn't clear, it basically means "God decided it, so pike it berk!".

(Thus is proved that Planescape is high literature).

Thank you Zappo for the literary support :cool: Although, the quote was not meant to glorify Planescape, but rather to spot that Dante in 1300ad already was a DM, and used to let his players know that whatever he rules, it is... :D

Li Shenron

Legend
Xael said:
LMAO! :D I witnessed about -40 Degrees Celsius over here in Finland earlier this winter.

But yeah, we're in the friggin' north. :p

I seriously think I should open a poll someday to check who of us ENWorlders lives in Finland, we seem very many... :)

Azizar

First Post
D&D in Dutch

The way we play D&D is a kind of Anglo-dutch. A lot of words in english can be perfectly translated to Dutch. But the use of english in our D&D games seem to fit the mood of fantasy gaming better than Dutch. For example in 'perfect' dutch.

De vechter met de maliencolder valt de aardmannen aan met zijn magisch flammend zwaard, terwijl de tovernaar een vuurbal werpt op de trol.

In english

The Fighter with the chainmail attacks the orcs with his magic flaming sword, while the wizard casts a fireball at the troll.

In Anglo-dutch

De fighter met de chainmail valt de orks aan met zijn magic flaming sword, terwijl de wizard een fireball cast op de trol.

:D

But hey, we are famous for our ability to incorporate words from other languages. A lot of my friends did not know that chainmail was translated to maliencolder in dutch. They knew what a chainmail was.....but not a maliencolder.
:D

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads