Have You played In An Official D&D Adventurer's League Event?

Never have. The WotC locator tool is useless - it shows over a dozen stores in my area that participate in Adventurer's League, but most of them actually don't. When I call to check, half of them haven't heard of it before, and the other half said they used to, but stopped a year ago or more. There is one store in the next town over that has an active running game, but it's a 45 minute drive...

Never have. The WotC locator tool is useless - it shows over a dozen stores in my area that participate in Adventurer's League, but most of them actually don't. When I call to check, half of them haven't heard of it before, and the other half said they used to, but stopped a year ago or more. There is one store in the next town over that has an active running game, but it's a 45 minute drive away, and happens right in the middle of my workday. My normal gaming group once tried to run a home AL game, but we found the restrictions too restricting for no benefit.

thzero

First Post
No, never will. I play lots of PFS (and GM too), for a variety of reasons, so its not the Adventure League issue... its solely a 5e/WotC issue.

However, many of the comments of AL that have been expressed apply equally as well to PFS.

Will Doyle

Explorer
Here in the UK the Adventurers League doesn't have such a large presence, as there are so few stores about to organize events. All the experiences I've had with the program have been terrific though. In general, gaming with strangers - both as DM and player - has taught me so much, and the AL has played a big part in that.

Ace-Azzameen

First Post
I play maybe a few times a month at the local store... its mostly a fun experience. Most everyone is welcoming and nice, the people who run it are great. You do run into some colorful characters every now and then.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I play maybe a few times a month at the local store... its mostly a fun experience. Most everyone is welcoming and nice, the people who run it are great. You do run into some colorful characters every now and then.

This is AL's greatest strength and its greatest weakness at the same time. You have an opportunity to play with new people every event. This gives you the opportunity to introduce new players to the game, but some of those people ...well, there's a reason they aren't in a home game. :p

benensky

Explorer
I am a local store organizer and I play in and run Adventure League events all the time. In times where I can not find a home game to play in I could always find an Adventure League event and I was always welcome.

A PAX on your house if you demean or say adventure league is not real D&D.

flametitan

Explorer
I've been tempted to drop into ALOCON, but otherwise not really. My home game followed AL rules for a while, but I don't believe that counts.

darjr

I crit!
I've been tempted to drop into ALOCON, but otherwise not really. My home game followed AL rules for a while, but I don't believe that counts.

It counts. It is part of AL. I've run quite a few private games that were AL games. Many with characters that have gone on to other AL tables or come from other AL tables.

flametitan

Explorer
It counts. It is part of AL. I've run quite a few private games that were AL games. Many with characters that have gone on to other AL tables or come from other AL tables.

I meant for the purpose of this thread (official events related to AL). The whole reason I did private AL games was because they counted for gathering XP from DMing.

Otherwise, I haven't been to an actual AL convention or store game, so my experiences might not be what Morrus is looking for.

darjr

I crit!
I meant for the purpose of this thread (official events related to AL). The whole reason I did private AL games was because they counted for gathering XP from DMing.

Otherwise, I haven't been to an actual AL convention or store game, so my experiences might not be what Morrus is looking for.

I understand. Still I think it's one of the great things about AL. Official means a game run by the rules. Before I was an LC I was organizing AL events and cons without any official sanction more than the above following of the rules.

If it wasn't for AL, I wouldn't be able to play or run 5e as much as I do. It's hard to find time for all of your friends to come together and play D&D when you're all adults with varying work lives and personal obligations.

Thanks to AL, I've built a community at my FLGS where new friendships and relationships have been forged. I'm hoping that an AL wedding or baby comes out my FLGS by the end of the decade.

Remove ads

Remove ads