D&D 5E Have You Started Planning How You Will End 5e Yet?

TheSword

Legend
We started making those changes as the playtest packages are released. Pretty much everything I’ve seen so far is an improvement. Why would we keep playing with a broken Sharpshooter, or Great Weapon Mastery when we can just adjust. There is nothing in the new playtest that makes me think the adventures won’t just convert straight across.

Last edited:

Retros_x

Explorer
The thought that you can't make a better game is ridiculous.
That was never the intention with one DnD. They don't want to cannibalize their own product, because 5e is still selling pretty good.
To the question: I never plan things like that. After each campaign I will evaluate with my current players what systems are out there, what do we want to use. By my experience the DM, me, is more willing to experiment with new systems, the players most of the time don't want to learn new systems. One DnD I think I can sell to them, because its just a fresh painting for 5e. But the system is not too important for me anyway, so I am fine with continuing with that.

Clint_L

Hero
I think "one D&D" is a huge mistake.
Sure they can maintain 5e with some changes, but they should also be working on 6e, and incompatible, reinvented version with new mechanics. The thought that you can't make a better game is ridiculous.
What makes something a "better" game, though? That is always going to be a subjective question. Yeah, they could throw everything out to work on making a better game for you, but that might make it a worse game for me. In fact, that is pretty much exactly what they did to their base when they went from 3rd to 4th edition.

Honestly, put yourself in their shoes. You've finally got a version of the game that has been met with widespread acclaim and extraordinary sales. Are you really going to throw that out in hopes of making something totally different and maybe "better"? For what? To please a few disgruntled fans? That would be crazy. You will always have a few disgruntled fans.

So they are going to stick with what is working and just tinker a bit, leaving the door open to future tinkering. Some of the changes just reflect changes to the culture at large ("race" becoming species; alignment becoming more optional). Others reflect adjustments to problems that have only become apparent over time (rebalancing a few feats to make them more evenly competitive). Others seem like corrections to earlier oversights (spiritual hammer becoming a concentration spell). Others reflect design choices that have become more comfortable over time (feats going from optional to more integral). Others are intended to improve consistency and simplify the game (all subclasses begin at level 3). And so on.

Taken together, I agree that none of these are revolutionary proposals, but they do represent an attempt to evolve the game in a positive direction. And that's all I want. Like many, I am satisfied with the 5e chassis. It feels like the D&D I played in 1979, but with more consistency and clarity. Keeping 5e but not freezing it, so that it can slowly change with the times rather than in a series of jarring edition jumps, makes sense.

WotC has chosen the metaphor of evolution for what they are trying to do with OneD&D. I think that is a great metaphor, because in evolution, there isn't a sudden, complete transition from one species into another, there is just incremental change over time with no clear dividing line. Decades hence, D&D might look quite different from what it is today, but there won't have been a specific moment where all your old books became obsolete. The scope of the changes will just be apparent when you, say, hold up your 2014 PHB next to your 2064 PHB.

To make that happen, they will have to disappoint folks who look forward to getting a whole new edition at once, like in the old days. They are okay with that. So am I.

Zardnaar

Legend
We started making that changed as the playtest packages are released. Pretty much everything I’ve seen so far is an improvement. Why would we keep playing with a broken Sharpshooter, or Great Weapon Mastery when we can just adjust. There is nothing in the new playtest that makes me think the adventures won’t just convert straight across.

They're essentially charging you for errata.

Clint_L

Hero
They're essentially charging you for errata.
Except, nope, they aren't. Because you don't have to buy the new books. That's the whole point: they expressly don't want this to feel like a new edition where you are obligated to either replace all your existing stuff, or quit. If you want the "errata," as you call it, and you want it all in one volume rather than just grabbing it off their free notes and what people put on the internet, then you can choose to buy a new PHB. Or not. The game will still work.

Was Tasha's just charging you for errata? Was Monsters of the Multiverse? Lots of folks chose not to buy them, and the game still works.

Oofta

Legend
I know I haven't been the most supportive of OneD&D on here, but I think I got good value out of my 2014 book - 8 years (plus more to come) of play for around $30 (after discounts). That's not a bad run at all.
I've spent more on games I've never played.
D&D is some of the cheapest entertainment per hour by far in my experience. Well, except when we were kids and just had dirt to play with of course. ;)

Oofta

Legend
Someone isn't heavily invested in Dwarven Forge...
The first step in stopping an addiction is admitting you have a problem. Perhaps you should consider attending a DFA (Dwarven Forge Anonymous) meeting?

Besides it could be worse. You could be addicted to Warhammer miniatures. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases