• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you thrown 88 opponents at your party?

Have you thrown 88 opponents at your party?

Conan d20
We angered a cult, and the whole temple rallied to kill us. We pressed our backs against a wall and slowly made a pile of corpses to give ourselves high ground. I stood in the center of the others, shooting arrows. The duelist would cut down one enemy then deflect the next's attack. The broadsword guy hewed through two at a time.

And then there was The Hurler.

He would grapple one guy, then grapple another guy, one in each hand. When he was attacked, he'd use one guy as a human shield, then use that same guy as a bludgeon to crack the skull of the other person he was holding.

And then he'd hurl both bodies into the fray, knocking people down, slowing the advance so I could rush out, recover arrows, and then retreat behind my rampart of allies.

We spent twenty turns and killed one hundred men. Then we set fire to the temple and fled into the night.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I may not have much experience with 5E but it seems the most suitable edition for having a PC party fight 88 opponents at the same time. Bounded Accuracy means lower level foes are still usable. A combat system designed for speedy turns is great for playing all those enemies in a timely manner. And if you're the type to say that 5E is too easy on PCs, fighting a whole army should fix that. Looks like a great idea to me!
briefly played in a short lived game where the gm threw something like 50-100 zombies(mm walking dead type not 28 days type cunning/quick ones) at us in a warehouse sometime around level 4-5 & our party of 6(?) wrecked them without much issue.

The battle took two or three sessions & the only time anyone was at risk was because they did something stupid that everyone in the group was warning against despite his "watch I've got a (ill considered poorly thought out) plan" claim.

Oofta

Legend
briefly played in a short lived game where the gm threw something like 50-100 zombies(mm walking dead type not 28 days type cunning/quick ones) at us in a warehouse sometime around level 4-5 & our party of 6(?) wrecked them without much issue.

The battle took two or three sessions & the only time anyone was at risk was because they did something stupid that everyone in the group was warning against despite his "watch I've got a (ill considered poorly thought out) plan" claim.

I've done the zombie horde thing but I did them as a mob. Individual zombies are not the issue, it's the massive pile of them that drag you off, knock you prone and restrain you while trying to eat you alive that's the issue.

Stormonu

Legend
The crazy 88 gang from Kill Bill?

I'm about to do this next session - the party is going to try and infiltrate Granny Nightshade's (hob)goblin camp and take out the goblinoids (and the hag) before they attack Saltmarsh...

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Pretty sure it's the Tarantino thing. I'll continue to behave as though it's the Tarantino thing until/unless someone demonstrates otherwise.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Swarms/Troop or Mob style mechanics have in every edition so far worked better they can have interesting maneuvers like trampling and similar in realistic terms groups only have to really be knocked down about 25 or sometimes 10 percent before actually disbanding (based on human behavior that is - and sure heroes and a few zealots are different)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads