• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution modifier

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Dragonblade said:
Further evidence to support my position on ability modifiers equaling stat bonus PLUS 1/2 level. Note the Spined Devil ability scores and the accompanying modifier:

The damage modifier on the spined devil's claw attacks disagrees with you.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think it's pretty obviously hit points healed, and that the reason it says "surgeS" is because they come up frequently, and in many different ways, as people stated:

Second Wind (with some characters having "third" winds, and so on)
Clerical Powers
Rest
etc

I've no idea if it includes 1/2 level or not, but it doesn't matter.

Those that think the number is too small to be any good at high levels are not taking into account that quite simply high level clerical powers could state: Heal 3x Surge.

Heck, natural rest could double your surge rate at Paragon and quintuple it at Epic, or whatever.

WE JUST DON'T KNOW.

Fitz

Voss

First Post
My theory is times per day. Nothing else makes much sense.

Healing amount is too low to matter.
Per level is just crazy bad design, unless levels *have* to be gained according to a set schedule of encounters.

The amount is either based on Con, or, more likely, a percentage or fraction of hit points. (1/4 or 1/3, most likely).

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
FitzTheRuke said:
I think it's pretty obviously hit points healed, and that the reason it says "surgeS" is because they come up frequently, and in many different ways, as people stated:

I disagree.

Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard - D&D Resolutions said:
Before 4th Edition, a Heal check meant looking down at your shoe to see what the heck you just stepped in. Now it's something I can actually do to help my fellow party members, such as Adam's wee halfing warlock, Atticus. The poor guy was knocked unconscious by a goblin on the high school javelin team. With the roll of a die and some simple addition, Tabitha gave Atticus the ability to use one of his healing reserves. He was back on his feet in no time. At least I think he was on his feet. With a halfling it's kind of hard to tell. I was filled with warm fuzzies from having saved a life, making my resolve even stronger to learn the equivalent of the Heimlich maneuver in the wizard's spellbook.

ShinRyuuBR

First Post
I believe something has been said about a limit to how many times per day a character can be healed. This could be it. Say, a cleric might have at-will healing powers, but people can only be so artificially healed so many times. Lest clerics would take over the world by using their hit-and-heal powers over and over again.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
ShinRyuuBR said:
I believe something has been said about a limit to how many times per day a character can be healed. This could be it. Say, a cleric might have at-will healing powers, but people can only be so artificially healed so many times. Lest clerics would take over the world by using their hit-and-heal powers over and over again.

Eek! That gave me quite a well bloody mental image of what a person who isn't in-tune with divine magic happens to their body when too much divine power is rushing through their body from too much healing.

Sphyre

First Post
Campbell said:
I disagree.

I was thinking exactly that. The biggest insight into it is that it's a resource. Per day? Don't know yet, but it seems like it's a consumable resource of some kind.

Even if it isn't and it's the actual number of healing, it'd be very easy for it to scale. For example at higher levels, you would heal say... 3x the amount of healing surge with a higher ability, while a lower ability may only heal 1x the amount of your healing surge score.

But I think it's more likely the first than the second.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Hmm, perhaps actually it is something that benefits the self-healing properties and healing-powers of some classes.

So be like you need a extra boost in your healing so when you use self-heal or are being healed you can use a "Healing Surge" to give you extra dice to roll for it.

Perhaps too with this mechanic, recharging it would be different, perhaps one has to gain full HP before using again (using it before that causes to much strain on the body), you need a full-nights rest, etc.

Also perhaps this "extra-strain" you put on the body to reach higher HP means that there is negative effects, or perhaps say drops the number of self-healing a person can do each day.

Just a random idea.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Well, I know when I'm probably beat. That healing reserve quote is good evidence...and it was such an elegant mechanic too. :(

Ok, hong. You were right. :p

Remove ads