• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healthy snacks & drinks for gaming?

Every English-speaking place in the world calls it coriander because that's the species name (coriandrum sativum) and there are several etymological roots for the word from where it originated. Americans just like to think they're special.

I don't think it has to do with thinking we are special. It has to do with how the different parts of the plant were introduced to us.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Every English-speaking place in the world calls it coriander

Well, clearly that's not the case, now is it?

Americans just like to think they're special.

We may like to think we are special, but that's rather aside this point, as that isn't why we use two words for different portions of the same plant. I expect that's just an accident of history, with the two different parts of the plant being popularlized by different groups, who used different words for them.

Coriander and cilantro isn't the only place we have such a construction, by the way. We use it for "mace" and "nutmeg" too.

Krensky

First Post
Well, clearly that's not the case, now is it?

We may like to think we are special, but that's rather aside this point, as that isn't why we use two words for different portions of the same plant. I expect that's just an accident of history, with the two different parts of the plant being popularlized by different groups, who used different words for them.

Coriander and cilantro isn't the only place we have such a construction, by the way. We use it for "mace" and "nutmeg" too.

Celery and celeriac.

Probably, but I have a natural inclination to dislike Americanisms (and Americans)..

Don't share your opinion. But it is your right to feel that way if you choose to. All English speaking countries have their own lingo. I don't really see this as any more unusual than words I hear from places like Australia or England.

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
North America's good stuff gets lost among the criticism sometimes. Space shuttles, PCs, cheerleaders and D&D are a drop in a fairly huge ocean.

Cheerleaders, I jest not, most dangerous sport in the world due to the highest injury rate.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads