D&D 5E Help balancing a Humanoid Dragon class

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
You are pretty good at this. Not quite what I was looking for but I guess that is what subclasses are for. I do have a few questions.
1. What is a terminus? When I look it up, I get a bunch of stuff on glaciers.
2. What is the save? Is it a Con, Dex, or is it based on the save of the original dragon form (for example, you make a Con save vs. a white dragon's breath attack)?
3. The Fighting Style is at 3rd level correct? I was not quite sure.
1. The terminus (and maybe I'm not using the term properly), but I mean "Where the cone ends." It would start at the character (the immediate 5' in front of the character), and at the end/far edge would be...whatever size I put.
2. What is what "the save?" Or rather, the save for what?
3. Yes, Fighting Style would be the second 3rd level feature. Whereas Rangers and Paladins gain both Spellcasting and Fighting Style as their second level features. But I thought the nature/flavor of the class was better served having something "dragony" with each.

1. The terminus (and maybe I'm not using the term properly), but I mean "Where the cone ends." It would start at the character (the immediate 5' in front of the character), and at the end/far edge would be...whatever size I put.
2. What is what "the save?" Or rather, the save for what?
3. Yes, Fighting Style would be the second 3rd level feature. Whereas Rangers and Paladins gain both Spellcasting and Fighting Style as their second level features. But I thought the nature/flavor of the class was better served having something "dragony" with each.
save on Drakonfire Burst

Ok. This has been knocking around in my noggin for a day now. So, I'm going to take a swing, if you'll indulge me. Probably not going to be "powergamey" enough for people. But I'mma give it a go...

To begin with...Class Concept.
1. To my understanding, at the base of it all, the character is a dragon entrapped (and locked) into a mortal humanoid form.
2. The character (as presented) is intended to be a "spell-sword/fighter-mage/PF Magus" type of character. The idea being that the "forced containment" of the primordial immense magical power that IS a dragon, into the limited tiny package of a mortal form, magical power is inherent (a la a sorcerer) and kinda "seeps out" in clearly supra-normal-mortal ways.
3. Given 5e's class parameters, there are full casters, the 1/2 casters (paladins/rangers), and the 1/3rd casters (eldritch knights/arcane tricksters). The warlock kinda sits apart for progression and structure, containing both Pact and Patron option points providing features, a limited number of spells "known" and "slots" to use with a vaguely "full casterish" progression for spell levels available, + the tertiary mechanic of "invocations." Sorcerers, imho, are a hot mess of mechanics: spell points, metamagics, Origin powers, but with a full caster progression and peculiarly limited spell list. Sorcerers, warlocks, and clerics, and druids, all have "bonus spells" (that are always considered prepared, I think?) that are dependent on the classes' secondary "subclass" option [akin to an "archetype," in the PF vernacular].

Given the general options and proposed desire for "balancing" the class for 5e, I'm going to follow (predominantly) a "half-caster" chassis when it comes to magics and progression...with archetype choices providing additional magic support.

You will notice the frontloaded abilities have been greatly subdued, this is after all supposed to be a "punishment" or curse (most of the time), so you need to adjust to the very very different, not-a-dragon existence in which you find yourself. Most notably, I will point out oncemore, you are a dragon in a humanoid form. You do not have blind sense. Not at 30'. Not at 10'. You have human (or elf or dwarf) ears. You have human (of halfling or gnome) noses. You have human (or half-orc or half-elf) tactile sensitivity. You don't get blindsense...certainly not at 1st level. You are mortal. You will deal with the world as mortals -even magical ones- do...at least at first.

SO...let's see...

Sealed Drakonsoul
Through a curse, alchemical accident, sentenced punishment by draconic leaders (or higher powers), self-imposed isolation or other mystical mishap, you are a dragon who has been forcibly morphed into the shape of a mortal. The weak soft humanoid form is under constant strain from the primordial elemental force that is your true majesty. A primeval nature locked in a fleshy sack, you are able to focus speed and strength, as well as an immortal's wealth of knowledge, for your defense. You are prone to a dark demeanor or boughts of dread from the ever-present fear of the pathetic vulnerability of your current shape. But, as you progress in experience, your external form comes into a slow alignment with your churning maelstrom of internal magic, allowing you to harness and direct some small fractions of your former self's true power. It is simple enough to maneuver the realm of mortals without betraying your internal truth, which is generally kept secret from all but the closest or most trusted allies. You may easily present yourself as some type of spell-sword, a ranger or paladin, bard or warlock, or any other type of spellcaster or warrior. Others, often those in need of a lesson in hubris and humility, pridefully announce their truth...which is near-universally met with skepticism and disbelief.

HD: d8 + Con.
Proficiencies
Armor:
Light armor, Medium armor, Shields.
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Longswords, rapiers, short swords.
Tools: None.
Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Choose 3: Arcana, Athletics, Deception, History, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Persuasion.
Equipment
  • Leather armor, a simple weapon, and a dagger.
  • a) arcane focus or b) component pouch
  • a) longsword or b) shortbow & 20 arrows
  • a) scholar's pack or b) explorer's pack
Features
@1st: Cursed Origin:
You must choose what kind of dragon you originally were and what humanoid form you currently inhabit. Once selected these choices can not be changed.
  • First, choose a single type of Chromatic, Metallic, Fae or Shadow dragon. This option will dictate certain features as you progress, beginning at first level with your cantrip options.
  • Second, choose from: Human, Half-elf, High Elf, Hill Dwarf, or Halfling (DM's option to allow other playable races within the setting). You possess the movement rate, any resistances or save bonuses, all vulnerabilities/weaknesses, or any special senses (lowlight or darkvision, etc...) of the humanoid form, but no other racial trait or ability bonus. You are considered both dragon and the humanoid of choice for the purposes of any effect, attack, attunement, etc... that is dependent on either.
  • You speak Draconic and your humanoid tongue in addition to any others known.
Cantrips: You begin play knowing 3 cantrips. You use these innate magic abilities at will. Your spellcasting ability is Charisma. In addition to two cantrips dictated by your Cursed Origin dragon type, the Sealed Drakonsoul knows the following special unique magic.
  • Drakonfire Blade: All Drakonsouls have the ability to conjure the Drakonfire Blade. The Drakonfire Blade produces a single-handed weapon, appearing as a scimitar, longsword, or simlar bladed weapon composed of an energy type corresponding to the character's draconic origin. The elemental blade is wielded as a melee weapon as normal, dealing d8 magical energy damage (+Cha. bonus) to the target on a successful hit. It otherwise operates as the Green-Flame Blade cantrip, dealing your Spellcasting Ability modifier of the appropriate damage type to an additional target within 5' of the original hit. The color of the corresponding magical fire matches your draconic origin if Chromatic or Metallic, force damage for Fae dragon, or umbral damage for Shadow dragon origins, respectively. Damage to the secondary target increases to d8 at 5th, both increase to 2d8 at 11th and 3d8 at 17th.
@2nd: Preternatural Awareness: You receive +2 to Perception and Insight checks.

Spellcasting: You choose spells known from the Wizard spell list but may not select any spell that uses your opposing energy type (as dictated by your Draconic Origin) or any spell that physically transforms your body (Alter Self, Polymorph Self, etc...) but may use magic that changes the shape of others. Your slot progression proceeds in line with the Ranger/Paladin "half-caster" charts.

@3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th: Origin Resonance: You become more and more in tune with the primordial power that is contained within your shape.
  • 3rd: Bonus spells dependent on choice of dragon. List to come.
  • 7th: Element Affinity: When you cast a spell that deals damage of your draconic origin type, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage. At the same time, upon casting such a spell, you gain resistance to that energy type for 1 hour.
  • 11th: Resonating Form: You can alter your shape to take on a "half-dragon" like shape, including any 2 of the following: claws, horns, a tail, scaled skin, and wings. Claws or horns can be used to make natural attacks d4 (+ Str) each, slashing or piercing, respectively. You may use a tail to attempt to trip as a bonus attack against a target within 10'. Scales grant +4 to AC if wearing no or light armor. Wings grant a fly speed of 60'. The altered form can be sustained for a maximum of 1 minute per level before your humanoid form reasserts itself.
  • 15th: Draconic Presence: You can invoke an aura of your draconic power, 20' radius, that instills fear or awe (player's choice). You may do so as a standard action, once per round, at will. The save DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier. Successful save is immune to the effect for for 24 hours.
Fighting Style: Choose a fighting style.

@4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th: ASI

@5th: Spell Strike:
You may use a cantrip or cast a spell, once per round as a bonus action, when you make a melee attack.

@6th: Preternatural Speed: You add 10' to your ground movement speed for a total rounds per day as you have levels. This extra movement need not be continuous, but may not exceed the total rounds in a 24 hour period. You may also add your Cha. modifier to a Dexterity-based rolls or saves as many times per day as your Constitution modifier.

@7th: Origin Resonance
@8th: ASI

@9th: Extra Attack

@10th: Preternatural Strike:
unarmed strikes, natural attacks, or melee attacks made with a weapon with which you are proficient count as magical for the purposes of bypassing resistances or immunities.

Drakonfire Burst: You summon the power of your Drakonfire into a conical burst, dealing the energy damage to all targets a maximum 50' long, 30' terminus, of your draconic energy type. Save halves. You can manifest this power a total of Charisma modifier times per day and sustain 1 level of exhaustion for 1 hour, cumulative, with each use.

@11th: Origin Resonance
@12th: ASI

@13th: Draconic Sense: You are aware of active spell effects or psionic activity within 10' of you. This obscure sense is inexact at first, similiar to the Detect Magic spell. If concentrated on for a second round, the magic's nature (divine, arcane, psionic, etc...) and type (illusion, necromancy, other school, etc...). A third round of focus will reveal the exact spell/psychic effect that occurred or is ongoing. You also are automatically aware of any dragon or creature with the draconic descriptor within 50', even if shapeshifted into another form, obscured by magic or otherwise hidden.

@14th: Preternatural Strength: You add your Cha. modifier to a Strength-based rolls or saves for a total number of rounds per day as you have levels.

@15th: Origin Resonance
@16th: ASI

@17th: Drakonfire Versatility: You can now use the Drakonfire Blade cantrip in a different ways.
  • Add it to damage/on top of a melee weapon you are wielding. Your Drakonfire does not damage the wielded weapon. You can evoke the additional energy at will, as part of your standard melee attack.
  • You may conjure two single-handed Drakonfire Blades (or other single-handed weapon) and wield them both as if you possess the Two-Weapon Fighting style.
  • You may conjure your Drakonfire "Blade" in the shape of any single or two-handed weapon with which you may be proficient.

@18th: True Resonance: The energy resistance supplied by your Element Affinity is now constant. Your Draconic Presence aura extends to 30'. Also, when using your Resonating Form, you can now assume all of the physical form changes at once and can maintain the "half-dragon" form for up to 10 minutes per level per day.

@19th: ASI

@20th: Dragonform: You can return to your original, full, draconic shape for a total minutes per level per day, with all abilities and physical statistics of that shape while maintaining the spell allotment of your humanoid form. This time need not be consecutive, but must be expended in 1 minute increments.
So I've been looking this over and comparing my original to it and I can't help but think that while they are similar, they are different takes on the same idea. As a result, I will be attempting to go a little crazy and make subclasses. I am thinking the class gets this at 1st, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level.

Subclasses: Drakonsoul Awakening: Due to an inherent flaw with the ritual, some outside influence, or path chosen by the Drakonsoul, they awaken their former abilities in different and unique was not found naturally in dragonkind.

Draconic Augmenter: These Drakonsouls are mostly of those that chose this weaker form. As a result, they often choose to infuse their power into their allies buffing their attacks and defenses while weakening their foes by an equal amount.
  • this is your cleric/paladin control subclass
Dragon Magus: These Drakonsouls strive for powerful magic ability to complement their martial combat style
  • this is what you are going for
  • edit. I have a hard time refuting your honestly superb class features "steeldragons" and this comment seems somewhat hostile on a second read. On V3 of the class I am working on I am using much of what you provided and putting most of my collection of ideas into subclasses as not to crowd up the general class. On another note, your help has been exceptional and has pointed out how different a class from 5e is from Pathfinder 1e. Thank you. Hopefully, now I will not be too OP (got to accept sorm OPness because dragons) anymore but almost killing a pirate ship with an adamantine sword and natural water breathing was pretty fun.
Draconic Returner: These Drakonsouls warp their bodies with their latent power focusing on regaining their true draconic powers over any other goals.
  • this is the subclass that gives the Drakonsoul their original draconic abilities back but at a weaker form
Elementalist: These Drakonsouls infuse their inner power into their environment and empower their martial strikes into flashy techniques.
  • this is your more martial subclass with an emphasis on upping the damage on their weapon attacks

Last edited:

On second thought, what I was trying to do should be something similar to Warlock invocations with the chosen features being things that the dragons had normally. Something like gaining expertise in a skill the dragon had expertise with in their original form with a Lv5 requirement.

With a combination of subclasses and invocations (will be called Dragon Resurgence from now on), I have a lot to play with. The Draconic Augmenter will get spell slots as a 1/2 caster with a paladin spell list with some added from ranger and cleric depending on the dragon chosen. The Dragon Magus will get spell slots as a 1/2 caster with the wizard spell list. The Dragon Returner will gain spell slots as a 1/2 caster with the sorcerer spell list with some added from the wizard depending on the dragon chosen. The Elementalist will get spell lists like a warlock (no one-off spells found at later levels) with the spell list of the Sorcerer with bonus spells depending on the dragon chosen. This subclass however has a limitation of the Sealed Drakonsoul's elemental affinity and two other energy types neither of which can be its opposite with nuances for spells like Chromatic Orb, Prismatic Wall, and Chaos Bolt. Dragon Resurgence will have a pool much like a monk or sorcerer but are used to power a Resurgence if it calls for it. How many the Sealed Drakonsoul has depends on their level. This does scale slightly differently than the Warlock but it still ends with 8 total.

This is what I have so far for my version of Invocations. If the spacing is weird in any area I missed, blame the funky copy and paste program. Still working on subclasses and will post them at the same time I finish the class. Post any Resurgence ideas as a reply. I think I should get at least another 10 more.

@Level 2:
Dragon Resurgence:
No sealing is completely effective as dragons are powerful enough to warp the world by simply existing. As you grow in strength, you begin reforming more your draconic power into its former majesty. You gain two Dragon Resurgence powers and a pool of Resurgent Energy that can fuel these abilities. This pool has as many points as your Sealed Drakonsoul level. You gain an additional Dragon Resurgence power at 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level.
On a short rest, you can spend 1 Resurgence point to add your Charisma and Constitution modifier to a single hit dice rolled to regain hit points. You can also gain a level of exhaustion to regain 2 Resurgence points. This total increases to 3 at 10th level and 4 at 17th level. You can not gain Resurgence points this way if you already have two or more levels of exhaustion.

Resurgences: With practice at channeling your inner energies, you can form small aspects of your draconic power. These aspects are fueled by the draconic power you pour into them.

Shaped Drakonfire: requires knowing the Drakonfire cantrip
  • You may conjure your Drakonfire "Blade" in the shape of any single or two-handed weapon with which you may be proficient

Dual Drakonfire: requires knowing the Drakonfire cantrip and must be at least 7th level
  • You may conjure two single-handed Drakonfire Blades (or other single-handed weapons if you know Shaped Drakonfire) and wield them both as if you possess the Two-Weapon Fighting style

Infuse Drakonfire: requires knowing the Drakonfire cantrip and must be at least 13th level
  • You can add Drakonfire to damage on top of a melee weapon you are wielding. Your Drakonfire does not damage the wielded weapon. You can evoke the additional energy at will, as part of your standard melee attack

Preternatural Dragon Senses: you must be at least 7th level
  • You can spend an action to gain 10ft of blindsight for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier <? should I add a clause that says it takes a bonus action to keep up?)>. This can be doubled for the duration by spending 1 Resurgence point. You can take this multiple times with each adding an additional 5ft to the base blindsight.

Magic in the Blood: you must be able to cast 2nd or higher level spells
  • You learn one metamagic enhancement. You can spend Resurgence points in place of Sorcery points to cast this metamagic enhancement. This otherwise works as the Sorcerer's metamagic class feature. You can take this multiple times with each giving access to another metamagic enhancement.

Power in the Blood: you must have taken the “Magic in the Blood” Resurgence
  • You can add an additional metamagic enhancement you have gained from “Magic in the Blood” Resurgence (or any other Dragon Resurgence that gives metamagic) on a single spell you cast but this costs 2 Resurgence points in addition to the cost of the metamagic applied if they could not be stacked.

Primal Magic in the Blood: you must have both the “Magic in the Blood” and the “Power in the Blood” Resurgences
  • You gain one metamagic that can be used once per long rest at no cost. You can also apply up to three metamagic enhancements from “Magic in the Blood” Resurgence (or any other Dragon Resurgence that gives metamagic) on a single spell you cast but this costs 5 Resurgence points in addition to the cost of the metamagic applied if they could not be stacked.

Skilled Drakonsoul
  • You gain two skill proficiencies that your dragon origin had. If you are already proficient with these skills, you gain expertise instead.

Dragon Adaptability
  • You gain the special movement (except for flight) of your dragon origin using your current speed as its new speed and one other constant ability they possessed such as water-breathing or ice walk (you can not choose any actions even if they are constant). You can spend 1 Resurgence point to gain these abilities for 1minutes per level and 10 minutes per level at level 10.

Legendary Body: you must be at least 13th level
  • You can make a Wisdom (Perception) check without spending an action by spending a Resurgence point.
  • If you have wings, you can spend 2 Resurgence points to beat your wings and have all creatures within 5ft doubled for each size category you are over small make a Dexterity save as a bonus action. The save DC is 8+your proficiency modifier+your Constitution modifier. If a creature fails, they are knocked prone and take 1d4+your Strength bludgeoning damage.
  • If you have wings, you can spend 2 Resurgence points to move at half your flying speed as a bonus action.
  • If you have a tail, you can make an attack with your tail dealing 1d4+your Strength bludgeoning or piercing damage (once chosen this can not be changed) as your bonus action. If you are using the tail you gained from your Resonating Form feature, this gives your tail the option to trip or deal damage as a bonus action.

Powerful Attacks:
  • Your unarmed strike damage increases to 1d4. If it already deals 1d4 or a larger die of damage, increase the die's size by one <?up to 1d12?>.
  • Your natural weapon attack damage increases to 1d6. If it already deals 1d6 or a larger die of damage, increase the die's size by one <?up to 1d12?>.

Aetherial Armor
  • So long as you are not wearing armor (you can still use a shield), your AC is 10+your Constitution modifier. At 10th level, this becomes 13+your Constitution modifier+your Charisma modifier.
  • If you already possess an unarmored defense from another source, you can swap one ability score in the calculation for your Constitution. At 10th level, you can swap one ability score in the calculation for your Constitution or Charisma modifier. If it already uses your Constitution or Charisma modifier, you can not swap another ability score for the same modifier.

Drake Breath
  • You gain a breath weapon of your dragon origin. If the dragon origin had multiple breath weapons, you can choose which breath weapon it is at the time of use. The size and shape is as if you were a “Half-Dragon” but the damage is 2d4. This damage becomes 3d4 at 7th level, 4d4 at 11th level, and 5d4 at 12th level.
  • The save DC of this breath weapon is 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma modifier.
  • You may spend an action and 2 Resurgence points to use this breath weapon.

Dragon Breath: you must have taken the “Drake Breath” Resurgence
  • The damage from the “Drake Breath” Resurgence is now 2d4. This damage becomes 4d4 at 7th level, 6d4 at 11th level, and 8d4 at 12th level.

Wyrm Breath: you must have taken the “Drake Breath” and “Dragon Breath” Resurgences
  • The damage from the “Dragon Breath” Resurgence is now 2d6. This damage becomes 4d6 at 7th level, 6d6 at 11th level, and 8d6 at 12th level.

Primal Breath: you must have taken the “Drake Breath,” “Dragon Breath,” and “Wyrm Breath” Resurgences
  • The damage from the “Wyrm Breath” Resurgence is now 2d8. This damage becomes 4d8 at 7th level, 6d8 at 11th level, and 8d8 at 12th level.
  • You can also apply a metamagic enhancement from “Magic in the Blood” Resurgence (or any other Dragon Resurgence that gives metamagic) to this breath weapon as if it were a spell. This attack can not be twinned.

Last edited:

Here are the Subclasses. I don't know the 5e spells too well so please leave suggestions for spells that should be on each extended spell list. Same for the main class that will be posted right after this.

Subclasses: Drakonsoul Awakening: Due to an inherent flaw with the ritual, some outside influence, or path chosen by the Drakonsoul, they awaken their former abilities in different and unique ways not found naturally in dragonkind. The path of awakening often depends on the mental state of the former dragon but sometimes it is an ingrained part of the sealing, intentional or not.

Draconic Augmenter: These Drakonsouls are mostly of those that chose this weaker form. As a result, they often choose to infuse their power into their allies buffing their attacks and defenses while weakening their foes by an equal amount.
Lv1-Disciplined Casting: You gain spell slots of a half caster. Your spell list is the cleric. You gain additional spells to this list based on your draconic origins.
Lv1-Tactical Spellcasting I: You can spend your bonus action cast a cantrip you know that buffs a target. If the target usually affects yourself, the spell now targets an ally within 30ft of you acting as if they cast the spell.
Lv7-Empowering Aura: All allies within 10ft of you gain a bonus to one ability check, save, or attack roll equal to your Wisdom modifier. Once used, it can not be used until they finish a short rest. You can give this benefit a number of times per long rest as your Charisma modifier. This increases to 30ft at 18th level. You must be conscious to grant this bonus.
Lv10-Tactical Spellcasting II: You can spend your bonus action or reaction to cast a cantrip you know that buffs a target. If the target usually affects yourself, the spell now targets an ally within 30ft of you acting as if they cast the spell.
Lv15-Guiding Aura: All allies within 10ft of you gain a bonus to an ability check, save, or attack roll equal to your Wisdom modifier. Once used, they must wait 1d4 rounds before they can use it again. Your Empowering Aura feature now grants your Charisma modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier to ability check, save, or attack roll. It otherwise remains unchanged. This increases to 30ft at 18th level. You must be conscious to grant this bonus.
Lv18-Tactical Mastermind: You can concentrate a number of buff spells at a time equal to your Intelligence modifier without penalty so long as you do not benefit from more than one (this does not include any area of effect buffs). If you lose concentration (by means of damage or other disruption effect), all spells you were concentrating on immediately dispel and you take 1d6 psychic damage per spell you were concentrating on. This damage becomes 1d10 for any spell of 4th level or higher. This damage ignores any resistance or immunity you may have.
Any buff spell you are concentrating on does not affect your ability to cast another concentration spell. You can only cast one other concentration spell like this and it also dispels if you fail a concentration check. However, you take 1d6 psychic damage per spell level it was if concentration is lost (by means of damage or other disruption effect). This damage becomes 1d10 for any spell of 4th level or higher.
If what caused you to lose concentration drops you to 0HP, you instead automatically fail 1 death saving throw no matter the psycic damage it would normally deal to you.

Dragon Magus: These Drakonsouls strive for powerful magic ability to complement their martial combat style.
Lv1-Studied Casting: You gain spell slots of a half caster. Your spell list is the wizard. You can also learn new spells by inscribing them into a spellbook or other item that they can record the information. You also have to prepare the spells they want to cast each day. You can also learn spells of your opposed element but they have a -2 to their attack roll or spell DC (dependent on the spell).
Lv1-Potent Spells: You can reroll any 1s and 2s on the damage rolled for one spell a number of times per long rest equal to your Intelligence modifier. Your spells also have their DC to dispel them increased by 1 and it takes a spell level higher than them to automatically dispell them. If the spell is the same level as the dispell, it instead has its dispell DC lowered by 1.
Lv7-Spell Learning I: You learn 2 spells from any spell list.
Lv10-Persistent Spells: The spell save for spells of the same energy type as your dragon origin increase by 1. They also have a +2 to attack rolls.
Lv15-Spell Learning II: You learn 2 spells from any spell list.
Lv18-Spell Recorder: You can learn any spell by putting it in your spellbook. If it is not on your spell list, you however take twice as long to research and copy the spell and it is twice as expensive as you convert it into something you can cast. If another tries to copy spells from your spellbook, they also suffer the same penalty. Your spell saves with spells on your spell list increases by 1. This stacks with Persistent Spells.

Draconic Returner: These Drakonsouls warp their bodies with their latent power focusing on regaining their true draconic powers over any other goals.
Lv1-Sorcerous Casting: You gain spell slots of a half caster. Your spell list is the sorcerer. You gain additional spells to this list based on your draconic origins.
Lv1-Rage: This acts as the Barbarian “Rage” ability.
Lv7-Resistant Skin: You gain resistance to your dragon origin's energy type. You also gain the “Drake Breath” Resurgence.
Lv10-Reforming Body: Your AC is 13+your Constitution modifier when not wearing armor or shields. At 15th level, this becomes 13+your Constitution modifier+your Charisma modifier. You gain You also gain the “Dragon Breath” Resurgence.
Lv15-Elemental Scales: Your resistance to your dragon origin's energy type now becomes immunity. You also gain the “Wyrm Breath” Resurgence.
Lv18-Resurgent Dragon: The “Resonating Form” ability can now be activated at will. You also gain the “Primordial Breath” Resurgence.

Elementalist: These Drakonsouls infuse their inner power into their environment and empower their martial strikes into flashy techniques.
Lv1-Burst Casting: Your spellcasting forces out powerful bursts of magic but lacks any endurance. It however is also quick to recover. Your spellcasting slots and spell level progresses at the same rate as the Warlock. You choose spells from the Sorcerer list but your damaging spells can only be of your draconic origin type and two others neither of which can be your opposed element. Spells that have random energy types (such as Chaos Bolt) or ones possessing multiple energy types (such as Prismatic Wall). Spells with an energy type chosen at the time of casting (such as Chromatic Orb or Chaos Bolt) must choose one of the energy types chosen above if you are able to. You can also add any spell with that of your draconic origin type as energy damage to your spell list.
Lv1-Infuse Weapon: You can infuse a weapon with your draconic power. This takes 1 hour to do and can be done on up to one weapon per your Intelligence modifier (minimum one). Natural weapons are automatically infused and do not count towards the total number of weapons that can be infused. Once infused, you deal an additional 1 energy damage of your affinity with the weapon with each attack. This increases to 1d4 at 7th level, 1d6 at 10th level, 1d8 at 15th level, and 1d10 at 18th level. If you ever exceed the maximum number of infused weapons not due to temporary ability damage, you choose what weapon infusion is removed from.
Lv7-Empowered Element: You can reroll any 1s on damage rolls of the energy type for your draconic origin.
Lv10-Elemental Weapon: You can choose to have all damage done by infused weapons to become energy damage that is the same as your draconic origin for one round. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. This regains all uses of this feature upon a long rest.
Lv15-Elemental Body: You gain resistance to your draconic origin type and your chosen elements. Of you are already resistant to the energy damage of your draconic origin, you gain immunity instead. You however gain vulnerability to your elemental opposite.
Lv18-One With the Element: You can maximize one spell that deals energy damage of your draconic origin type once per long rest. You can also reroll any 1 or 2 on damage rolls of the energy damage of your draconic origin type.

Failed Seal: Due to a shift in the weave, the meddling of a deity or similarly powerful being, or just pure incompetence, the sealing of the dragon was incomplete.
Lv1-Sorcerous Casting: You gain spell slots of a half caster. Your spell list is the wizard. You gain additional spells to this list based on your draconic origins.
Lv1-Dragon Scales: You retain a portion of your dragon scales. Your AC is 13+your Dexterity modifier when not wearing armor or shields, but you lose your armor and shield proficiencies. You also add your Charisma modifier to any AC calculation. You also gain a Resurgence ability and an additional Reassurance ability at 5th, 9th, and 13th level.
Lv7-Resistant Scales: You gain resistance to your dragon origin's energy type.
Lv10-Toughened Scales: You can choose to replace your Dexterity modifier for that of your Constitution for your AC calculation.
Lv15-Draconic Skin: Your resistance to your dragon origin's energy type now becomes immunity.
Lv18-Draconic Power: You use a single ability from “Resonating Form” at will. You can change this at will at the beginning of each of your turns. You can also use 1 Resurgence point to use this feature as a reaction.

Here is V3. Again, if there are any weird errors, blame the communication between this site and OpenOffice.

Sealed Drakonsoul
Through a curse, alchemical accident, sentenced punishment by draconic leaders (or higher powers), self-imposed isolation or other mystical mishap, you are a dragon who has been forcibly morphed into the shape of a mortal. The weak soft humanoid form is under constant strain from the primordial elemental force that is your true majesty. A primeval nature locked in a fleshy sack, you are able to focus speed and strength, as well as an immortal's wealth of knowledge, for your defense. You are prone to a dark demeanor or boughts of dread from the ever-present fear of the pathetic vulnerability of your current shape. But, as you progress in experience, your external form comes into a slow alignment with your churning maelstrom of internal magic, allowing you to harness and direct some small fractions of your former self's true power. It is simple enough to maneuver the realm of mortals without betraying your internal truth, which is generally kept secret from all but the closest or most trusted allies. You may easily present yourself as some type of spell-sword, a ranger or paladin, bard or warlock, or any other type of spellcaster or warrior. Others, often those in need of a lesson in hubris and humility, pridefully announce their truth...which is near-universally met with skepticism and disbelief.

HD: d8
Armor Proficiencies: Light armor, Medium armor, Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, and two martial weapons of choice
Tool Proficiencies: one tool proficiency of choice
Saves: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Choose 2: Arcana, Athletics, Deception, History, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Persuasion
Starting Equipment: or 4d4*10gp
-a simple weapon and a dagger
-(a) leather armor or (b) a shield
-(a) arcane focus or (b) component pouch
-(a) longsword or (b) shortbow & 20 arrows
-(a) scholar's pack or (b) explorer's pack

@Level 1:
Cursed Origin:
You must choose what kind of dragon you originally were and what humanoid form you currently inhabit. Once selected these choices can not be changed.
  • First, choose a single type of Chromatic, Metallic, Fae, or Shadow dragon. This option will dictate certain features as you progress, beginning at first level with your cantrip options.
  • Second, choose from: Human, Half-elf, High Elf, Hill Dwarf, or Halfling (DM's option to allow other playable races within the setting). You possess the movement rate, any resistances or save bonuses, all vulnerabilities/weaknesses, or any special senses(lowlight or darkvision, etc...) of the humanoid form, but no other racial trait or ability bonus. You are considered both dragon and the humanoid of choice for the purposes of any effect, attack, attunement, etc... that is dependent on either. You retain your mental score from before the transformation -2 or -3 (the final number must be even) as your mind and senses dull but must redistribute your physical ability scores. You gain the ability scores of the cursed form's race. You age as whatever your race you have been cursed as ages with the maximum age increased by 10%. The starting age of your new body is the race's maturity age+1d6 years.
  • You speak Draconic and your humanoid tongue in addition to any others known.
  • Due to the condensed nature of your primordial energies, you are unable to cast spells that deal your opposing energy type (spells with multiple energy types or random energy types such as Chaos Bolt or Prismatic Sphere are exceptions but spells, where the energy type can be chosen such as Chromatic Orb, can not be used to cast the opposing energy type). If the dragon has no listed energy type (such as the faerie dragon), you choose between psychic or force.
    • Acid <--> Lightning
    • Cold <--> Fire
    • Force <--> Psychic
    • Necrotic <--> Radiant
    • Poison <--> Thunder
Cantrips: You begin play knowing 3 cantrips from any spell list. You use these innate magic abilities at will. Your spellcasting ability is Charisma. In addition to two cantrips dictated by your Cursed Origin dragon type, the Sealed Drakonsoul knows one of the following special unique magic. They can also be learned when the Sealed Drakonsoul learns more cantrips through level progression.
  • Drakonfire Blade: School: evocation; Casting Time: 1 action: Range: Self (5-foot radius); Components: V, S; Duration: instantaneous; The Drakonfire Blade produces a single-handed weapon, appearing as a scimitar, longsword, or similar bladed weapon composed of an energy type corresponding to the character's draconic origin. The elemental blade is wielded as a melee weapon as normal, dealing d8 magical energy damage (+Cha. bonus) to the target on a successful hit. It otherwise operates as the Green-Flame Blade cantrip, dealing your Spellcasting Ability modifier of the appropriate damage type to an additional target within 5ft of the original hit. The color of the corresponding magical fire matches your draconic origin if Chromatic or Metallic, force or psychic (once chosen this can not be changed) damage for Fae dragon, or necrotic damage for Shadow dragon origins, respectively. Damage to the secondary target increases to d8 at 5th, both increase to 2d8 at 11th and 3d8 at 17th.
  • Drake Strike: School: evocation; Casting Time: 1 action: Range: 10ft; Components: V, S; Duration: instantaneous; You are capable of conjuring the power of your dragon heritage into your hands, lashing out to send a wave of energy to hit an opponent in range. Make a melee spell attack. On a hit, they take 2d6 damage, the damage type corresponding to your draconic origin type. At 5th level, the damage increases to 4d6. At 11th level, it increases once more to 6d6, and at 17th level, it reaches 8d6. Creatures can make a save for half. This save is Strength for force and thunder damage, Dexterity for acid, lightning, and fire, Constitution for cold, necrotic, radiant, and poison, and Intelligence for psychic
Drakonsoul Awakening Feature

@Level 2:
Dragon Resurgence:
No sealing is completely effective as dragons are powerful enough to warp the world by simply existing. As you grow in strength, you begin reforming more your draconic power into its former majesty. You gain two Dragon Resurgence powers and a pool of Resurgent Energy that can fuel these abilities. This pool has as many points as your Sealed Drakonsoul level. You gain an additional Dragon Resurgence power at 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level.
On a short rest, you can spend 1 Resurgence point to add your Charisma and Constitution modifier to a single hit dice rolled to regain hit points. You can also gain a level of exhaustion to regain 2 Resurgence points. This total increases to 3 at 10th level and 4 at 17th level. You can not gain Resurgence points this way if you already have two or more levels of exhaustion.

@Level 3:
Origin Resonance:
At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level, you become more and more in tune with the primordial power that is contained within your shape.
  • 3rd: Bonus Spells: Depending on your draconic origin, you gain a small selection of spells that can be cast once per long rest at their lowest spell level.
  • 7th: Element Affinity: When you cast a spell that deals damage of your draconic origin type, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage. At the same time, upon casting such a spell, you gain resistance to that energy type for 1 hour.
  • 11th: Resonating Form: You can alter your shape to where parts of you take on a "half-dragon" like shape. At the time of transformation, choose two of the following: claws, horns, a tail, scaled skin, and wings. Claws or horns can be used to make natural weapon attacks d4 (+ Str) each, slashing or piercing respectively. You may use a tail to attempt to trip as a bonus attack against a target within 10ft. Scales grant +4 to AC if wearing no or light armor. Wings grant a fly speed of 60ft. The altered form can be sustained for a maximum of 1 minute per level before your humanoid form reasserts itself.
  • 15th: Draconic Presence: You can invoke an aura of your draconic power, 20ft radius, that instills fear or awe (player's choice). You may do so as a standard action, once per round, at will. The save DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier. Successful save is immune to the effect for 24 hours.
Fighting Style: Choose a fighting style from the fighter list

@Level 4:
ASI

@Level 5:
Spell Strike:
You may use a cantrip or cast a spell, once per round as a bonus action, when you make a weapon attack as part of your attack action.

@Level 6:
Extra Attack:
You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks.

@Level 7:
Origin Resonance

@Level 8:
ASI

@Level 9:
Preternatural Strike:
Your unarmed strikes, natural weapon attacks, or melee weapon attacks made with a weapon with which you are proficient count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

@Level 10:

@Level 11:
Origin Resonance
Drakonfire Burst:
You summon the power of your Drakonfire into a conical burst, dealing the energy damage to all targets a maximum 50ft long, 30ft cone, of your draconic energy type. Save halves. You can manifest this power a total of Charisma modifier times per day and sustain 1 level of exhaustion for 1 hour, cumulative, with each use.

@Level 12:
ASI

@Level 13:
Draconic Sense:
You are aware of active spell effects or psionic activity within 10t of you. This obscure sense is inexact at first, similar to the Detect Magic spell. If concentrated on for a second round, the magic's nature (divine, arcane, psionic, etc...) and type (illusion, necromancy, other school, etc...). A third round of focus will reveal the exact spell/psychic effect that occurred or is ongoing. You also are automatically aware of any dragon or creature with the draconic descriptor within 50ft, even if shapeshifted into another form (this includes other Sealed Drakonsouls), obscured by magic or otherwise hidden.

@Level 14:
Preternatural Resistance:
You become proficient in Dexterity and Wisdom saves.

@Level 15:
Origin Resonance

@Level 16:
ASI

@Level 17:
True Resonance:
The energy resistance supplied by your Element Affinity is now constant. Your Draconic Presence aura extends to 30ft. Also, when using your Resonating Form, you can now assume all of the physical form changes at once and can maintain the "half-dragon" form for up to 10 minutes per level per day.

@Level 18:

@Level 19:
ASI

@Level 20:
Dragonform:
You can return to your original, full, draconic shape for 30 minutes per long rest, with all abilities and physical statistics of that shape while maintaining the spell allotment of your humanoid form. This time need not be consecutive, but must be expended in 1 minute increments. This otherwise works as per the spell “shapechange.”

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Here's what I was thinking. Clearly, if you have different imaginings of what each dragon type is like, their general "flavor," any and all of these choices can be redone/spells replaced.

Attachments

• Drakonsoul_bonusspells.pdf
    271.4 KB · Views: 79

Remove ads