D&D 5E HELP- High level Campaign ending somewhat epic adventure needed!

Luz

Explorer
Anything from the Giants/Drow series, really. Shrine of the Kuo Toa and Vault of the Drow are amazing but have the potential to stretch longer than 20-24 hours of play (and have not been converted to 5e, AFAIK). Tomb of Horrors can easily be done in that time and has been updated in Tales From the Yawning Portal.

Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure is for level 9-12 but it could easily be beefed up. It's also very good.

H2 The Mines of Bloodstone is for level 16-18 and easily adaptable. It was a pretty fun adventure back in the day.

The latter half of Out of the Abyss could be adapted to fit those requirements, I think. Just start with Vizeran DeVir calling for their aid and go from there.

I vote for this option. Fighting in a giant Demon Lord arena is definitely going to classify as epic, you can easily condense down the adventure into the most vital, quickly-gameable parts (meet Vizeran, find components, set lure, have mega-battle).

It might even be possible to move the whole thing to the surface, or to the Plane of Earth, or wherever is appropriate for your campaign; the book would just make that a case of small-scale adaptation, rather than whole-cloth-fabrication.

JeffB

Legend
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've been soaking in the replies and checking things out.

Ultimately I could not find anything already published that floated my boat... so decided to come up with something more "personal" to the group. They had a on/off again otherworldly patron I created, ala ningauble/sheelba, who sent them on several adventures over the years and I have decided to devise a sinister and epic plot about his true origin, what he has really been doing, and the PCs are the ones that actually allowed him to return and wreak havoc upon the Eastern Heartlands of Faerun (for starters!).

System of choice was voted upon....OD&D and Dungeon World tied 2-2. I am the tie-breaker. Like I don't have enough to do/decide coming up with all this $®©#.

For what it’s worth, I’d go with OD&D. I recently ran a session using the original system, and while it has its quirks, there was something so very freeing about it – it was fast-paced and simple, no meta-gaming, no power gaming. I even loved the “all weapons do 1d6 damage" rule.

System of choice was voted upon....OD&D and Dungeon World tied 2-2. I am the tie-breaker. Like I don't have enough to do/decide coming up with all this $®©#.

JeffB

Legend
For what it’s worth, I’d go with OD&D. I recently ran a session using the original system, and while it has its quirks, there was something so very freeing about it – it was fast-paced and simple, no meta-gaming, no power gaming. I even loved the “all weapons do 1d6 damage" rule.

Thanks for the suggestions! We have played a bunch of OD&D. The campaign started with my houseruled OD&D about 7 years ago. In recent years Dungeon World has taken over for our Fantasy game of choice..I am leaning that way, but still undecided. Concentrating more on story details at the moment. I have a couple of weeks to get things together.

ZEITGEIST: The Grinding Gears of Heaven.

The world ends, the planet shatters upon the borders of the graveyard of the multiverse, and the party needs to explore the remnants of 40 dead worlds to gather the power necessary to restore their world to life. Then, to escape the Gyre that grinds worlds to dust, you must slay a colossal serpent that has coiled itself around the physical manifestation of your world's history.

It's designed primarily as a capstone of ZEITGEIST, but you could run it as a standalone. It's for 20th level in Pathfinder, so you might need to scale down some of the threats.

Remove ads