Help make my DM see the light....

DMaple

First Post
Does your party scare out the treasure or is it "finders keepers" on that too?

Do the wizards and clerics keep all the magic items as they are the only people that can detect them therefore they must be for them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
DarkJester said:
Here is the situation:
Me and 6 Others guys are players in a friends campaign.

Yes, but who gets to play Phoebe, Monica, and Rachael? The sex scenes must be really awkward. :D

Seriously, the Dm needs to remember two things, both of which I beleive are still explained in the 3E DMG:

All players in the group should get a fair share of base XP because all of you are participants, EVEN if ALL OF YOU AREN'T HANDING OUT THE DAMAGE. The ones who aren't damage-dealing are STILL there to back up the ones who are, should they fall, need healing, etc. It is totally unfair and unjust to deny players the opportunity to earn XP. This was explained in the experience chapter of the 2nd edition book, and I beleive is still touched on in 3E (though I don't have the book at the moment).

Also, an encounter is considered a challenge in the game, NO MATTER HOW IT IS RSEOLVED, THROUGH COMBAT OR NOT. This is spelled out very completely in the Experience Chapter in the #E DMG. If one player were to talk his way or diplomatically resolve a situation through non-combat, is his player awarded all the XP from the encounter? if not, your DM is flagrantly disregarding one of the main, core rules of the game.

Reason should be used to explain that the way he is handing out experience is not only video-game oriented, but is also causing stress in the group. D&D was designed as a cooperative game to stress teamwork to overcome weaknesses. The ultimate extension of the XP system as you describe it here is party members betraying and eliminating one another just to get higher shares of XP - it's only a matter of time.

"Hey Bob, sorry about not telling you about that pit trap ahead. I guess that you'll just have to sit it out here for awhile while I go ahead and take care of those ogres. See you later!"

In the end, if it begins to cause party strife, then I suggest you need to rotate DM duties - or oust the DM entirely.

Alternately, to sway the others, you could make the most powerful and effective character you could, SUCK UP AS MUCH OF THE XP AS YOU COULD, while at the same time telling everybody there after every single game that you hate this way to deal out XP and how much you would like to go back to the group sharing XP. That may win the players as converts quickly.

Hadraniel

First Post
I played a 2nd ed game like this also. Being a wizard by the time I was level 2 the fighters where level 5-6. I ended up quiting, unless you played a fighter it was pointless. The clerics could not heal enough and wizards cast magic missle then walked around the rest of the adventure.

I would just powergame and get all of the xp. Tell the other people who hate the system to do the same or stop playing. Once everyone quits the DM will usually change his ways.

Remove ads