• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help make my DM see the light....

DarkJester

First Post
Here is the situation:
Me and 6 Others guys are players in a friends campaign.The dm is a good friend of us all,and a pretty good dm.We all (use to) have fun in the game.The problem is,we get into a lot of arguments over rules and stuff lately. I think it all comes down to the DM's experience system.He refuses to use group experience,he only gives experience on what you kill (or mostly kill). This leads to intense competition between us players over the monster kills,and has led to quite a few arguments (Hey you can't do that!). I'm specificly troubed that everyone gets mad at *me*. I'm the best at powergaming in the group, I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything,its just that I've played the longest. Everyone gets mad at me for geting the most experience,from building effective characters.I don't hog all the attention, it's just that I shine a bit more than the others.

When I first saw this problem arriseing I thought to myself "Well it must just be me,I'll stop making powerful guys and it will fix its self." My next character was a Cleric of pelor,used no combat spells,I healed,gave advice,and buffed party memebers.The only thing this accomplished was me lagging behind in levels,and the group picking someone else to get mad at for hogging exp.

I'm looking for some solid arguments to present to my DM that he needs to do group experience,I think it will overall improve the whole situation greatly.Any advice out there?

Regdar

First Post
Bah, kill them in their sleep

Bah, tell your DM, his experience point system sucks, you and your group does not have fun with the game anymore, and go back to the book way of experience.

That doesn't work, start your own game or get another too.

That doesn't work, kill them all and get new players.

Regdar believes that the direct way, is the best way.

Ealli

First Post
Have you layed out the problem before him almost exactly like you presented it to us? That you mention that the players are not having fun should be very persuasive. Tell him straightout that you think individualized experience makes the game less fun. If possible, have the others players tell him this as well. If you each approach him individually, that will make the point stronger.

The last campaign that I quit, was for exactly this reason.

DarkJester

First Post
I have told him,I should say,we have told him.

The problem is,that 3 of the 7 players agree with him,so we are split down the middle.

His "Group" of players says that group experience does not make any sense,presenting the typical "Why should he get experience for what I kill" argument.

My "Group" of players has presented our problem. He basicly told us that he can't please everyone.

I DO have my own game,but I like to play more than I like to DM(Although I'm told I should DM more than I do.),and he is the only other player who will run a game with any consistancy.(One of the other guys has a game....we get around to playing it maybe once every month and a half,always claims to have left his stuff at school or something,he won't just say "I don't want to do it")

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Am I reading this correctly? He gives all the xp for a monster to the one who deals the killing blow? If so, his logic is very, very flawed*. In that case, I'd advise you to make up a serial killer character and start slaying everthing that moves; maybe that can show him the error of his ways. :p

(*: Even more flawed than the basic concept of "killing stuff" to raise in levels is anyway - but that's beside the point, LOL. :p)

Crothian

First Post
Darkness said:
Am I reading this correctly? He gives all the xp for a monster to the one who deals the killing blow? If so, his logic is very, very flawed*. In that case, I'd advise you to make up a serial killer character and start slaying everthing that moves; maybe that can show him the error of his ways. :p

(*: Even more flawed than the basic concept of "killing stuff" to raise in levels is anyway - but that's beside the point, LOL. :p)

Start with the other PCs so they stop complaining. Killing the PCs off always helps people stop complaining. :rolleyes: :D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Crothian said:

Start with the other PCs so they stop complaining. Killing the PCs off always helps people stop complaining. :rolleyes: :D
Agreed! :D Besides, PCs tend to have better-than-average treasure (especially magic items!) for their CR, which is an added incentive to kill them... :D :D :D

telepox

First Post
DarkJester said:
I have told him,I should say,we have told him.

The problem is,that 3 of the 7 players agree with him,so we are split down the middle.

His "Group" of players says that group experience does not make any sense,presenting the typical "Why should he get experience for what I kill" argument.

Simply put, as per the "Rules", anyone who witnesses and learns from an experience, gains from that experience. Thus, a mechanic teaches how to fix something to another by demonstration. "Oh, so that's how I do it!"

Talath

Explorer
Re: Bah, kill them in their sleep

Regdar said:
Bah, tell your DM, his experience point system sucks, you and your group does not have fun with the game anymore, and go back to the book way of experience.

That doesn't work, start your own game or get another too.

That doesn't work, kill them all and get new players.

Regdar believes that the direct way, is the best way.

You always crack me up Regdar :)

MythandLore

First Post
DarkJester said:
I'm looking for some solid arguments to present to my DM that he needs to do group experience, I think it will overall improve the whole situation greatly. Any advice out there?
Your argument...
It's the rules, he is not following the rules.

DMG Ch7 p166: (Top right of page) Under "Example:"

"There are five characters in the party, so they each get 240 XP (1,200/5=240)"

Show him the page in the DMG.
Print out this thread and show him to help him understand if you have too.
Tell him his it's okay that he messed up on the rules, but now that he knows what they are he should play by them and explain to him that disregarding those rules is hurting the playability and enjoyment of the game.
Enjoyment being paramount, if you guys aren't having fun (because he didn't understand the rules) there is no point in playing.

Last edited:

Remove ads