Help Me Get "Apocalypse World" and PbtA games in general.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Let's drop the "you said, I said" argument for good, please.
Sure!

You are accusing me of misquoting you because I use the word only when referring to the times when it's ok for the MC to declare door to be locked. I thought it was implied that I've had already accepted your only other case (the roll) so I understood we had moved on from it.
Oh, you mean I should drop it while you keep doing it. That's disappointing, thought there might be some movement here.
Drop the word "only" then. My position still remains that those TWO are not just the sole TWO ways. I'm amazed we couldn't jump over this fence faster. You are insisting on a very minuscule artifact of online communication.

Oh, you're still on it. I mean, I recognized this, called it out in the post you're quoting, but here you are, telling me this is what you're saying about what I'm saying while telling me to stop talking about who said what. It's an interesting approach -- what did you give it as odds for success?
There is ABSOLUTELY no difference between the kinds of moves that an MC is allowed to make in response to a 6-, vs the kinds of moves an MC gets to make when the player looks at them expectantly. Why? Because they are exactly the same thing with regards to the rules of the conversation. When a player rolls a 6-, it coincides with them also looking at you expectantly to see what happens next.
Oh, you're talking to a moment when the PC just luff one up and don't really do anything. Yeah, that's another moment where you get to deliver on your promises with as hard a move as you'd like. This, though, is just another way of saying that the players have offered a golden opportunity by ignoring a promised consequence, so we aren't covering new ground here. Is this your argument? That a subset of the thing I've already acknowledged wasn't specifically called out, even though it's absolutely part of the thing I've already acknowledged, and have from the start?

Single basic moves in Apocalypse World say: "On a miss, be prepared for the worst." Nowhere in the book does it say "When a player rolls a 6-, you get to make a move." Other PbtA games have adopted that convention, but AW2 only treats a 6- to be a golden opportunity, nothing too different if one were to arise in the fiction without the need of a move.
Tomato, tomato. This is a quibble about vocabulary and not actual meaning.
From AW2 book, page 88 & 89.
Yes, this is part of the framing conversation. The GM is having the conversation with the player to establish the framing by agreeing where the problem may be. If the PC decides to keep looking for another way in, this doesn't offer anything. It's the GM's invitation to say "is this the conflict you're looking for?"

I've covered this. Often framing is a discussion.
Then on threat moves, Vincent and Meguey add (page 114):
Um, yes, when it's time for you to talk is a pretty key phrase that you seem to be glossing over. When the GM gets to talk is not whenever the GM wants, but when the play tells him to talk. That's in scene framing, or in reframing, and in narrating results from moves. Nothing here gives the GM the authority to just declare a door locked because the GM thinks it should be locked.
The only thing that sort of modulates the difference between what happens after a miss, vs you speaking on your turn, is the hardness of the move you decide to make, and that is a matter of personal interpretation and taste. That's a completely different conversation, though, do you want to talk about hardness?
The GM doesn't have a turn, really. There's no "okay, it's my turn" in the rules. The GM speaks when the system says they do. That's framing and in resolving actions and then in reframing. You're drifting pretty wide from the simple example I gave -- that a GM cannot just say a door is locked because they decide it's locked but only when they're framing the scene or when a move outcome gives them the opportunity to make it part of their move. There isn't some other moment in the game where it's the GM's turn to just do whatever -- if you think there is, show it to me. The GM gets to make moves at pretty specific points -- and the system generates those points with awesome regularity, but even then the GM is constrained to the principles of play and to follow the fiction. Nothing here gives the GM the plenipotentiary power to just declare things locked because a player tries to open a door.

I feel like you're looking for some narrow crack to declare victory in the discussion rather that actually discussing how the game works. What is the victory condition here, for you? What allows you to feel like you've gotten what you want from this discussion? Mine is the recognition that AW doesn't work like Trad games, and what's trivially obviously the GM's authority in a Trad game is glaringly not in AW.
Now, if you accept that there is no difference between the nature of the moves that happen as a result of a miss and the moves that result from players waiting for you to say what happens, beyond hardness (and if you don't please quote the text), then any move that I could make when I roll a 6- is valid when the player asks "I open the door, what happens?"

I've given you the example on #85.
I've covered what's going on here.
A door didn't exist when the action began. When the action began it was very possible that neither the MC nor the involved players knew that they would be searching for a side door. The MC doesn't even know what Dremmer's Place even looks like.
There was no action, yet, the GM and player were still negotiating the scene framing. It's the GM's job, but it's not unilateral, there's a conversation. The player indicated that they wanted an alternate way into the fortress. We've established that it's a fortress, which entails lots of tropes. The GM offers a door as a possibility to frame the conflict, the player accepts, and the GM frames the conflict as "here's you alternate way in, but it's locked tight, what do you do?" Like most examples that you can pull out for AW, these toy examples are too light in other details. The door being locked, for instance, is dreadful as a conflict unless there's something pressuring the PC, which is not in the example. What happens if the PC keeps looking for another way in? There's no established threat for the GM to pay off as a golden opportunity, so the best they could do here would be to frame another conflict with a better opening soft move. A locked door is a terrible soft move on it's own, as this example shows.
It was only after moving to a position where a door now exists, by someone declaring "I want to search for a side door" that the player can say "I open it". Fictional. Positioning.
I don't know who. your. period. talking. to. with. this. I haven't said anything at all about fictional positioning. Heck, in this example we know it's a fortress, which carries locked side doors as a default to the already established fiction. Which is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "part of framing."
Who determined that there was a side door? The MC. Why did get make to make that decision? Because it's their job.
Yup.
Page 81:

"I go looking for a side door."

The player looks at the MC to see what happens. The MC considers...then makes a move: • Present a guardian (Landscape)

"Yup, there's a door. Big, metallic, with a bit of rust on the hinges."

There is a door now. Does the GM have to determine whether the door is locked or not? Do they have to even say it? Nope! Not at all. Not part of the rules, not part of the situation yet. Just a damn door for now.

"I open the door."

The player looks at the MC to see what happens. The MC considers...then makes a move: • Bar the way (Landscape).
Yeah, that's part of framing. It's establishing the conflict. We know there isn't a conflict already because the player can just waltz around looking for doors without having a golden opportunity hit him in the head. The establishing of the door is exactly the kind of initial framing I'm talking about -- where we're moving into the play loop from some free play prior position, or after we've resolved a previous conflict and we're reframing into a new one. The is also "ask questions, use answers." The GM wants the PCs to have input for how they tackle the fortress, so asked them, considers is, and uses that to frame in the new situation. The door is established as part of that framing, along with the fiction inputs of it being a door into the fortress. I think play is pretty dull here in the examples that this is done and then we have some exploratory "tell me more" stuff. The GM should have framed this in already into conflict, or added something to drive play. As it is, it's pretty conflict neutral and, I think, a pretty bad example.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You ARE framing conflict neutral things because the only way to discover which conflicts actually matter to the players is by allowing them to choose where they draw their line. You seem to suggest that the GM is responsible for defining which elements of the game constitute a valid "conflict"; that is antithetical to Apocalypse World's model of implicit conflict and its own brand of playing to find out. Bad advice!

Please provide textual evidence, just like you've asked me to, of your claims. Particularly:
Okay, so you're saying that it's a perfectly good scene to frame of a T junction in a corridor, full stop? That's a conflict neutral framing. What player happens here? This is not what you're supposed to be doing.

andreszarta

Adventurer
Sure!

Oh, you mean I should drop it while you keep doing it. That's disappointing, thought there might be some movement here.

Oh, you're still on it. I mean, I recognized this, called it out in the post you're quoting, but here you are, telling me this is what you're saying about what I'm saying while telling me to stop talking about who said what. It's an interesting approach -- what did you give it as odds for success?

Oh, you're talking to a moment when the PC just luff one up and don't really do anything. Yeah, that's another moment where you get to deliver on your promises with as hard a move as you'd like. This, though, is just another way of saying that the players have offered a golden opportunity by ignoring a promised consequence, so we aren't covering new ground here. Is this your argument? That a subset of the thing I've already acknowledged wasn't specifically called out, even though it's absolutely part of the thing I've already acknowledged, and have from the start?

Tomato, tomato. This is a quibble about vocabulary and not actual meaning.

Yes, this is part of the framing conversation. The GM is having the conversation with the player to establish the framing by agreeing where the problem may be. If the PC decides to keep looking for another way in, this doesn't offer anything. It's the GM's invitation to say "is this the conflict you're looking for?"

I've covered this. Often framing is a discussion.

Um, yes, when it's time for you to talk is a pretty key phrase that you seem to be glossing over. When the GM gets to talk is not whenever the GM wants, but when the play tells him to talk. That's in scene framing, or in reframing, and in narrating results from moves. Nothing here gives the GM the authority to just declare a door locked because the GM thinks it should be locked.

The GM doesn't have a turn, really. There's no "okay, it's my turn" in the rules. The GM speaks when the system says they do. That's framing and in resolving actions and then in reframing. You're drifting pretty wide from the simple example I gave -- that a GM cannot just say a door is locked because they decide it's locked but only when they're framing the scene or when a move outcome gives them the opportunity to make it part of their move. There isn't some other moment in the game where it's the GM's turn to just do whatever -- if you think there is, show it to me. The GM gets to make moves at pretty specific points -- and the system generates those points with awesome regularity, but even then the GM is constrained to the principles of play and to follow the fiction. Nothing here gives the GM the plenipotentiary power to just declare things locked because a player tries to open a door.

I feel like you're looking for some narrow crack to declare victory in the discussion rather that actually discussing how the game works. What is the victory condition here, for you? What allows you to feel like you've gotten what you want from this discussion? Mine is the recognition that AW doesn't work like Trad games, and what's trivially obviously the GM's authority in a Trad game is glaringly not in AW.

I've covered what's going on here.

There was no action, yet, the GM and player were still negotiating the scene framing. It's the GM's job, but it's not unilateral, there's a conversation. The player indicated that they wanted an alternate way into the fortress. We've established that it's a fortress, which entails lots of tropes. The GM offers a door as a possibility to frame the conflict, the player accepts, and the GM frames the conflict as "here's you alternate way in, but it's locked tight, what do you do?" Like most examples that you can pull out for AW, these toy examples are too light in other details. The door being locked, for instance, is dreadful as a conflict unless there's something pressuring the PC, which is not in the example. What happens if the PC keeps looking for another way in? There's no established threat for the GM to pay off as a golden opportunity, so the best they could do here would be to frame another conflict with a better opening soft move. A locked door is a terrible soft move on it's own, as this example shows.

I don't know who. your. period. talking. to. with. this. I haven't said anything at all about fictional positioning. Heck, in this example we know it's a fortress, which carries locked side doors as a default to the already established fiction. Which is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "part of framing."

Yup.

Yeah, that's part of framing. It's establishing the conflict. We know there isn't a conflict already because the player can just waltz around looking for doors without having a golden opportunity hit him in the head. The establishing of the door is exactly the kind of initial framing I'm talking about -- where we're moving into the play loop from some free play prior position, or after we've resolved a previous conflict and we're reframing into a new one. The is also "ask questions, use answers." The GM wants the PCs to have input for how they tackle the fortress, so asked them, considers is, and uses that to frame in the new situation. The door is established as part of that framing, along with the fiction inputs of it being a door into the fortress. I think play is pretty dull here in the examples that this is done and then we have some exploratory "tell me more" stuff. The GM should have framed this in already into conflict, or added something to drive play. As it is, it's pretty conflict neutral and, I think, a pretty bad example.

Stop using the words framing and reframing. Those concepts don't appear in AW's text and are not part of the GM's procedures. Use terms that the game uses to achieve the things it sets out to do to prove your points. I dare you.
The GM doesn't have a turn, really. There's no "okay, it's my turn" in the rules.

Page 9
You probably know this already: roleplaying is a conversation. You and the other players go back and forth, talking about these fictional characters in their fictional circumstances doing whatever it is that they do. Like any conversation, you take turns, but it’s not like taking turns, right?

Sometimes you talk over each other, interrupt, build on each others’ ideas, monopolize and hold forth. All fine.
Your turn in the conversation. A pretty important turn you are ignoring here.
You seem to believe that there are two different moments in the conversation where, in one of them we are "negotiating the framing of a conflict" and in the other "we are playing in a scene". There is no such differentiation. Once again, please point to the book.

andreszarta

Adventurer
With regard to framing: 63. look for where they're not in control

In the article, Jason D'Angelo is a bit confused about the lack for scene framing procedures:

The question this statement (and paragraph) raises for me is how scenes are framed in Apocalypse World. There are no explicit scene framing rules laid out in the text. And since the MC’s powers are governed by the text, it seems odd that scene framing power is not a designated authority given to the MC. This passage seems to suggest that “announce future badness” is a scene setting tool as well as a move to pull out in the middle of a scene. To say, “Audrey, you’re down collecting the day’s water from the well and do you feel like reading a charged situation? Something seems off this morning,” is to set the scene via announcing future badness.

He then proceeds to provide us with Vincent Baker's own response to this:

Vincent Baker said:

You've got it. Apocalypse World doesn't have separate, designated, single-purpose rules for setting scenes. Instead you conduct your scene transitions using the same rules you use for everything else.

No big deal. Many, many rpgs work this way.

Jason said:
+Vincent Baker, I suppose a game should only bother with scene-setting rules if the scene is a relevant unit in play, eh? The play in AW doesn't care for borders like scenes, so how they "start" and where they "end" aren't important--hence, no need to bother with separate rules for them. Seems like a simple enough element of design that I should have been able to figure that one out for myself.

Vincent Baker replied:

Yep!

Apocalypse World does have an important guideline for setting scenes, which you'll come to a little later in this chapter. But as far as mechanics and procedures go, its scene setting system is: when the players turn to look at you, their little faces ashine with expectation, choose a move and make it.

Another extremely common move for setting scenes would be putting them in a spot.

The play in AW doesn't care for borders like scenes, so how they "start" and where they "end" aren't important--hence, no need to bother with separate rules for them.

...as far as mechanics and procedures go, its scene setting system is: when the players turn to look at you, their little faces ashine with expectation, choose a move and make it.

Last edited:

andreszarta

Adventurer
Okay, so you're saying that it's a perfectly good scene to frame of a T junction in a corridor, full stop? That's a conflict neutral framing. What player happens here? This is not what you're supposed to be doing.

I don't frame scenes in Apocalypse World, I make moves.
it's a perfectly good scene to frame of a T junction in a corridor, full stop?
I don't know. Did I just make a move? If so, which one did I choose? What things did I consider to land on that move?

Here's one possibility:

Player: "I open the door."

MC: "It takes you a minute, as the rusty hinges won't give, but eventually you push yourself through a little crack on the door."

(Which move did I just make?: Open the way (Landscape). Why did I pick it? It supports one of my principles: Look through crosshairs. 'Dremmer sure wishes he had barred that door.')

MC: "As you walk around the complex, you arrive at this kind of T junction in a corridor. You know, like in one of those poorly designed Dungeon Modules we used to play. What do you do?"

(Which move did I just make?: Put someone in a spot. Why did I pick it? It supports one of my principles: Respond with fuckery and intermittent rewards.)

Player: "Hmmm. I think I'm going to try and Read a Sitch"

MC: "Read a Sitch? Is this situation charged?"

Player: "You bet! Who knows how long I have before someone comes down here."

MC: Makes a mental note. "Yeah, that sounds pretty charged. Roll it!"

Player: "10+! I get three questions. Where’s my best way into Dremmer's chambers?"

MC: Thinks for a second... "You notice that the floor has some muddy boot prints that go to the right."

(Which move did I just make?: Offer a guide. (Landscape) Why did I pick it? It supports one of my principles: Respond with fuckery and intermittent rewards.)

Player: "What should I be on the lookout for?"

MC: Remembers his mental note. "Someone left a 'walkie talkie' on a table nearby. Suddenly it goes off 'Basket, you there? Did you go out to piss AGAIN? You better get that pus-riddled bladder of yours checked.'"

(Which move did I just make?: Announce future badness. (They have walkies, they are on patrol, Basket could be near, they probably heard the door.) Why did I pick it? It supports one of my principles: Barf forth apocalyptica.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
If the GM were to say "You reach the front door, which is locked," then sure, everything's established. But let's say the PC is trying to be stealthy, so there's no assumption that they're checking every door handle they come across. Or maybe the GM just didn't think to mention that it was locked, but in the fiction it makes sense that it would be. In that moment, how does it violate the game's principles if the player says "I open the door" and the GM says, "It's locked—what do you do?"
Why is the GM making a hard move?

pemerton

Legend
It seems like you are bringing notions of "Roll dice or say yes" for AW2 given it is one of DitV's most important principles. I don't think there is textual evidence that suggests we should consider this principle as applicable to AW2 as you are making it seem.
100 times this.

AW is not "say 'yes' or roll the dice", it's "if you do it, you do it". Plus the principles around soft and hard moves.

pemerton

Legend
I've run so many of these games in the last decade and change it may be that I've just internalized it.

Regardless, that is exactly what it is in AW. Vincent may not say it there (he probably said it on lumply later or in other conversations that I've been privy to), but that is what delineates the soft/hard move dichotomy.
In 1st edition I don't think "soft" is used as an adjective for moves, but there are many references to making a move "as hard and direct as you like".

The most canonical statement of the principles for GM moves is probably this on p 117:

Generally, limit yourself to a move that’ll (a) set you up for a future harder move, and (b) give the players’ characters some
opportunity to act and react. A start to the action, not its conclusion.

However, when a player’s character hands you the perfect opportunity on a golden plate, make as hard and direct a move as you like. It’s not the meaner the better, although mean is often good. Best is: make it irrevocable.

When a player’s character makes a move and the player misses the roll, that’s the cleanest and clearest example there is of an opportunity on a plate. When you’ve been setting something up and it comes together without interference, that counts as an opportunity on a plate too.

But again, unless a player’s character has handed you the opportunity, limit yourself to a move that sets up future moves, your own and the players’ characters’.​

This, on p 114, is also good:

“Make as hard and direct a move as you like” means just that. As hard and direct as you like. It doesn’t mean “make the worst
move you can think of.” Apocalypse World is already out to get the players’ characters. So are the game’s rules. If you, the MC, are out to get them too, they’re plain <in trouble>.​

So the contrast between soft moves - setting up, starting the action, with an opportunity to react - and hard moves - following through, irrevocable - is pretty clear.

pemerton

Legend
-The player asked if the front door was locked. I said yes (!).

-He said he was picking the lock.

<snip>

In this case the player actually asked "Is the door locked?" But if he had instead said "I open the door" and I had said "It's locked," I still don't get why that's a violation of PbtA principles. I mean I kind of do, in that the entire business of getting into the lighthouse could have been a roll, and the locked door a result of a complication, but that seems unnecessarily zoomed out and without context here.
It seems that what you're saying here is that the door being locked was a soft move? Or that, by asking if it's locked, the player handed you an opportunity on a plate, and so you followed through with a hard move.

Nothing much turns on the question of taxonomy, of course. To me what you did doesn't look super-hard, because it didn't really have any irrevocability to it. It was more like an offering of an opportunity (enter the house).

Contrast: at an earlier point in play, when the PC is heading to the lighthouse, you mention the car prowling slowly down the street about 20 metres (yards?, I guess, if it's in NJ) behind them. The player replies that they hurry up towards the house, and you mention the gentleman in a dark suit and glasses who steps out of the car, and strides purposefully towards them.

And then some appropriate move is made - I don't know BrindleWood Bay well enough, but in AW we might be heading in the direction of Acting Under Fire - and if it fails, the character gets to the door and it's locked! That would be a hard move, because now they're out there with this creepy guy bearing down on them.

Declaring the door is locked, in that circumstance, as your move in the conversation but not in response to a failed check, would look a bit brutal to me. Unless, of course, the player offers an opportunity on a plate by asking "Is it locked?"!

Remove ads