Help Me Get "Apocalypse World" and PbtA games in general.

Upthread you linked to the forum post where Baker says this:

The text says, p9, "like any conversation, you take turns, but it's not like taking turns, right? Sometimes you talk over each other, interrupt, build on each others' ideas, monopolize and hold forth. All fine."​
You know how a normal conversation works, that's how Apocalypse World works too.​
The only time the rules impose a structure on the conversation is when multiple players want to have their characters do things at the same time, especially when they're at odds with each other. You can read about that on p132-133.​
The lists of MC moves are there to remind you to say more things, a wider variety of things, not to limit you to saying a strict set of things.​

How do you see what Baker says here as fitting with the importance/centrality of MC moves? Does it adequately capture that centrality to think of them as pointers and reminders?

(This isn't a gotcha. I think there is a mild tension between what I've quoted Baker as saying, and the concentric diagram with the conversation on the outside and MC moves one step in; and I'm interested in how we should resolve that tension. The notion of points/reminders would be one way of doing that, and isn't meant to trivialise the role of MC moves. But there might be other resolutions that I'm not thinking of.)

Curiously, and certainly more than a bit boldly, I don't think I agree with Vincent's assessment here (the bolded).

@hawkeyefan linked this article in Discord.

The section on economy and pacing made me think of Entanglements in Blades and Barter in AW.

Post-Score Entanglements in Blades absolutely serve as both economy and pacing simultaneously. They're there to both (a) keep thematic downward pressure on your resources and (b) keep difficult decision-points and/or both the sense and reality of ever-increasing threats pressing in upon the Crew (and Crew-adjacent; Friends and Contacts and Allies) in a way that reinforces genre.

I have very little doubt that Harper was channeling Barter to some degree when he was conceiving post-Score Entanglements as Barter serves very similar purpose.

So I think Barter is a good example (and not the only one) of AW rules imposing a structure upon play (economy and pacing inherently structure play!).

And I don't think it ends there. There are plenty of other areas where rules impose structure upon play through the proxy of economy or pacing or actually due to superstructure of moves like Working Gigs. Further, I think there is an emergent (but not incidental) structure that the nature of the system creates. The rules create structure that reigns in both the excesses of "Writers Room Phenomena" + Mother May I/Explore GM's Conception play. As such, it straddles a nice line where there is authority bleed while still having clear delineation of authority distribution (over content introduction over orientation/zoom/focus of situation).

andreszarta

Adventurer
Sure. I wasn't particular focused on the direction of movement. Going back to your picture, the conversation is kind-of at the bottom and we step "up" to the other layers. (My directional metaphor was probably shaped by thinking about what we start with, and then what we add on - I wasn't focused on the metaphor of "collapse" that Baker uses, which, as you say, requires the directional metaphor to be inwards to the core.)

What I'm curious about is articulating, with some precision, what it is that MC moves add to the conversation. As I posted, I have one thought - pointers and reminders - which I don't think is trivial. But maybe there's more to say than that?

I see!

I definitely haven't given this particular point much thought before. You've given me an incentive to read up some more and talk to people about this! Here's how I think about it currently:

In AW's text Vincent never says: "Every time the MC opens their mouth, a move has to come out." or "If you don't make a move right now, I swear I'll come to your table with a hatchett."

As you said, MC moves seem to merely serve as pointers and reminders to say what Vincent suggests are "more things, a wider variety of things" to say. But I would say that more than that, they provoke you to say one of those things.

I don't think there's more to that with regards to any possible other "mechanical functions" that they might serve with regards to the conversation. They are, essentially, quite a simple and straightforward mechanic.

Where complexity, depth, and importance arise, I think, is when you consider the power that such a tool gives you when it comes to pursuing your agendas without the need to think too hard about whether or not you should be doing that or something else instead. Suddenly you have a very simple and straightforward answer to the question "How do I contribute meaningfully to the fiction when it's my turn while pursuing my agendas and principles?"

In the last couple of months, I've seen a trend in 5e forum threads of people engaging in conversation about how often we downplay the high cognitive load that running a game entails. I think MC Moves are a tool that comes to our rescue in this regard. They free up space for us to think, to wonder about other aspects of the game...more room for the MC to play to find out.

I think over the years people thought of MC moves and said: "Sure...but this isn't too different from what I've been doing all along". I think they were missing part of the point of the mechanic. Right, they were already saying a wide variety of things that included some of those things, some of the time...but was it as clean and straightforward as MC moves provoke them saying those things? Did they have the confidence that, as long as they were aiming at an agenda and were misdirecting, barfing forth, being a fan, they would be fine?

Apocalypse World is very actively deceptive about most of its stuff. It is, in a way, a reaction to other "narrativist" systems where an in-orderly amount of focus was placed on meta-situational discussions and concerns of interesting situation, conflict, kickers, bangs, escalation etc... MC moves are a way for the MC to play instead of manage the game. I think that's powerful.

I also think this also plays a big part in my disagreement with the other user. I just don't think that Apocalypse World in any way, shape or form, expects you or encourages you, the MC, to manage all of these concerns about framing, and conflict-neutralness and GM fiat...specially not while you're playing. It frees you from that with the tools it gives you! It tells you, straight to your face: when it's your turn to say something, you know, pick one of these.

(Small parentheses: One tool to make sure there is no conflict-neutralness in your Apocalypse World is threat creation in between sessions. A small bit of management to make sure you can get back to playing with fresh new things to say next session.)

As to whether or not they are "optional" or "essential", or if am I playing AW or I'm not depending of whether or not use MC moves. I really don't have a definitive answer other than what Vincent has extensively discussed in conversations like this one: anyway: Periodic Refresher

So I think Barter is a good example (and not the only one) of AW rules imposing a structure upon play (economy and pacing inherently structure play!).
Yeah! I agree with @Manbearcat in that pacing is another emergent quality of the structure and interplay of moves. Vincent doesn't really disagree with you in that respect, I think, in the same post he contends that:
As MC, you judge for yourself how to pace your moves and which moves to choose. If you want to play the way you've described, you should! It's perfectly fine, perfectly by-the-rules play.

You're judging for yourself how to pace your moves, that's all, same as every MC gets to do.

Last edited:

That last bit - by making moves - seems to serve the same sort of function, in AW, as in BW when a player uses a Wise or Circles to reframe the situation to something more interesting to them. Different techniques, both in terms of how the player does it (fictional positioning matters more in AW) and how it's resolved; but both allowing the player to seize control of the shape/direction of the fiction.
I find it useful to think about how this is different from the analogous part of D&D, where a player, in character, says "I'm going to go down to the Thieves Guild and have it out with Lampoc!" In that case the GM can respond in any possible way. Like they could just say "he's not there", or "they won't let you in", or "some guys jump you in the alley on the way out of the bar" or whatever. Now, MAYBE some of those same responses could exist in, say AW. Maybe, but they would have to meet certain pretty well-defined criteria to qualify as good GM moves, first. In D&D, yeah you probably don't want to kill off a PC because you have some agenda that his intended actions thwart, but even that's not something that is actually spelled out! In the end, a properly run AW or DW game would have to make things more apocalyptic/fantastic, more interesting, be more in line with being a fan of the PCs, etc. in order to pass muster.

Sure. I wasn't particular focused on the direction of movement. Going back to your picture, the conversation is kind-of at the bottom and we step "up" to the other layers. (My directional metaphor was probably shaped by thinking about what we start with, and then what we add on - I wasn't focused on the metaphor of "collapse" that Baker uses, which, as you say, requires the directional metaphor to be inwards to the core.)

What I'm curious about is articulating, with some precision, what it is that MC moves add to the conversation. As I posted, I have one thought - pointers and reminders - which I don't think is trivial. But maybe there's more to say than that?
I've always acted as if its a bit stronger than that. Like if I make a move it better be possible to say what principle, or at least what part of the agenda, it serves, and what technique it uses. I've never run AW, but in DW I wouldn't make a move (that is say something) where the thing I say is unmoored from all the techniques (I mean, aside from trivial things that are probably tangentially related to the game at best). So, I'm making a move, am I using an answer to a question? Am I doing something that follows? I don't care about calling out what moves are what, as Vincent says you don't name them anyway. So, yeah, moves are in one sense kind of trivial, and yet the fact that I am moving, and that moving entails these things that I need to do, that instills the moves with purpose and direction. I guess maybe that means the names really are pretty trivial, but then if they have mechanical bits to them, like AW's Inflict Harm, then obviously there's some significance. I don't think any of the Dungeon World GM moves actually has mechanics to it, unless its a creature move or a threat move or whatever.

pemerton

Legend
In AW's text Vincent never says: "Every time the MC opens their mouth, a move has to come out." or "If you don't make a move right now, I swear I'll come to your table with a hatchett."

As you said, MC moves seem to merely serve as pointers and reminders to say what Vincent suggests are "more things, a wider variety of things" to say. But I would say that more than that, they provoke you to say one of those things.

I don't think there's more to that with regards to any possible other "mechanical functions" that they might serve with regards to the conversation. They are, essentially, quite a simple and straightforward mechanic.

Where complexity, depth, and importance arise, I think, is when you consider the power that such a tool gives you when it comes to pursuing your agendas without the need to think too hard about whether or not you should be doing that or something else instead. Suddenly you have a very simple and straightforward answer to the question "How do I contribute meaningfully to the fiction when it's my turn while pursuing my agendas and principles?"

In the last couple of months, I've seen a trend in 5e forum threads of people engaging in conversation about how often we downplay the high cognitive load that running a game entails. I think MC Moves are a tool that comes to our rescue in this regard. They free up space for us to think, to wonder about other aspects of the game...more room for the MC to play to find out.

I think over the years people thought of MC moves and said: "Sure...but this isn't too different from what I've been doing all along". I think they were missing part of the point of the mechanic. Right, they were already saying a wide variety of things that included some of those things, some of the time...but was it as clean and straightforward as MC moves provoke them saying those things? Did they have the confidence that, as long as they were aiming at an agenda and were misdirecting, barfing forth, being a fan, they would be fine?

Apocalypse World is very actively deceptive about most of its stuff. It is, in a way, a reaction to other "narrativist" systems where an in-orderly amount of focus was placed on meta-situational discussions and concerns of interesting situation, conflict, kickers, bangs, escalation etc... MC moves are a way for the MC to play instead of manage the game. I think that's powerful.
Okay, that makes sense.

This seems to imply that it's fairly easy to make a bad/unsuccessful PbtA(ish) game (one in which the circles come apart as per the diagrams on the anyway page that you linked to).

I'll try and explain this implication that I'm seeing.

First, consider this example from the "Moves Snowball" example of play, on pp 155-7 of the 1st ed rulebook:

I’m still making my hard move. . . .

". . . 4-harm area messy, a grenade. You have armor?”

“1-armor.”

“Oh yes, your armored corset. Good! You take 3-harm.” She marks it on her character sheet. “Make the harm move. Roll+3.”

She hits the roll with a 9. I get to choose from the move’s 7–9 list, and I decide that she loses her footing.

“For a minute you can’t tell what’s wrong, and you have this sensation, it seems absurd now but I guess it makes sense, that you hit the ceiling. Maybe you tripped on something and fell, and hit it that way? Then gradually you get your senses back, and that noise you thought was your skull cracking is actually your door splitting and splintering down, and that noise you thought was your blood is their chainsaw. What do you do?”

“I set off my pain-wave projector.”

“Sweet,” I say. “That’s…”

“1-harm area loud ap.”

“The loud is their screaming,” I say. “They’re like -” and I hold my hands over my ears. On a whim, looking through crosshairs, I add, “Church Head isn’t. He looks paralyzed, he’s rigid and silent, his eyes are rolling around in their sockets but otherwise he’s not moving.” Taking 1-harm is much worse for NPCs than it is for PCs; see pages 167–168. “What do you do?”

“I have my violation glove on,” she says. I don’t dispute: of course she does, she always does. “I pick my way over to Plover and put my hand on his cheek. I do in-brain puppet strings to him: protect me.” She rolls+weird, hits a 10+, and smiles sweetly and with malice.

A subtle thing just happened. I’ve been saying what they do and then asking Marie’s player what Marie does, but here she’s seized initiative from me. It isn’t mechanically significant, we’ll still both just keep making our moves in turn. It’s just worth noticing.

“Hot,” I say. “Whackoff grabs you from behind to pull you off of him, but Plover jumps on her.” (I hadn’t mentioned before that Whackoff’s a woman, but she has been all along in my head. Ha ha, gotcha.) “He’s punching her in the face, she’s falling back, she’s like, the f***? This uses up your hold over Plover, right?”

“Right,” Marie’s player says. “That’s okay. I pick up his chainsaw and chop into them both.”

Damn. I’m impressed.

“That’ll be seizing something by force. Their, um, meat. Roll it,” I say.

I have absolutely no interest in saving these NPCs, none. I’m looking at them through crosshairs, and much as I like them, I do not make them safe.​

Baker refers to the MC and Marie's player "making our moves in turn". Unpacking those moves:

* The MC inflicts harm - a hard move, as Baker notes.

* This triggers the harm move, which the player rolls.

* The MC has Marie lose her footing, which puts her in a spot - a soft move, as nothing irrevocable results from it. It changes the fictional positioning, but doesn't step up the intensity of the conflict.

* Marie's player declares that Marie activates her pain-wave projector, which is not a move as such.

* The MC describes the effect of the pain waves on the NPCs - Baker doesn't call this out as a move, but to me it looks like another soft move, offering an opportunity to Marie's player at a cost to Keeler's player. To me, this does seem to step up the intensity/stakes of the conflict, by tempting Marie's player to go all out. (And we see this pay off on p 158 - "Keeler’s player is scowling and shaking her head - they were both members of her gang.")

* Marie's player triggers in-brain puppet strings, and rolls for it.

* The MC describes Plover defending Marie from Whackoff - what move is this? Again, Baker doesn't tell us. I think it's taking away Marie's stuff, namely her hold over Plover.

* Marie's player goes at them with the chainsaw, triggering seize by force.​

I think the absence of action economy here, in the classic RPG combat/wargame sense, is probably counterintuitive to a lot of RPGers. What holds the play together? The prompts to the GM/MC that arise out of the player-declared actions (activating the pain-wave projector, in-brain puppet strings, seizing by force) and the invitations to action issued by the GM-side moves (putting Marie in a spot, offering Marie the opportunity to take on the gang members, taking away her hold over Plover by having Plover and Whackoff fight). I don't think it's trivial to achieve this in RPG design.

Pages 283 and 284 of the rulebook diagram out various moves, and show how they manage this interplay of prompts, invitations etc.

Get any of this stuff wrong and you'll have a weaker game - one where the circles come apart. My go-to example for this comes from Classic Traveller: the move is if you drive your vehicle for a day, then throw to see if it suffers some sort of failure. But how do we know if you've driven your vehicle for a day? That never comes out of the conversation: some other process that the rulebook doesn't guide us on (eg map-and-key resolution) is needed.

I think someone who says that GM/MC moves just list things they've been doing all along may not be having regard to all these other things they've had to do to make their RPGing work.

I just don't think that Apocalypse World in any way, shape or form, expects you or encourages you, the MC, to manage all of these concerns about framing, and conflict-neutralness and GM fiat...specially not while you're playing. It frees you from that with the tools it gives you! It tells you, straight to your face: when it's your turn to say something, you know, pick one of these.

(Small parentheses: One tool to make sure there is no conflict-neutralness in your Apocalypse World is threat creation in between sessions. A small bit of management to make sure you can get back to playing with fresh new things to say next session.)
That answers the OP's question about the role of fronts/threats!

I think the example of play also helps answer the question about when to roll the harm move. In the example it helps develop the fictional positioning, creating the prelude to Marie activating her pain-wave projector. If the fictional positioning is already developed enough that players are declaring actions in response, then maybe the harm move isn't really needed on that occasion.

I'm going to post some thoughts about an aspect of game design and play execution that may (or may not...TBD) reveal some daylight between myself and other posters in this thread:

GM QUANTITATIVE BUDGET - This value reflects the amount of opposition a GM can bring to bear against the goals of the players in a given situation, scene, or phase of play. In some games, this opposition isn't just a product of GM Budget, but also integrated with various resource economies and demands upon those economies (eg - turns and danger/threats related to both the manifestation of those turns + the accretion of those turns + player-decision points around those turns including spending other resources in their dealings with turns/dangers/threats).

So what are examples of some of the most "pure" (lets say) GM Budget-driven games?

4e D&D (XP budget for combat encounters + Skill Challenge win/loss con and attendant DCs and meta-resources)

Cortex+ FH or MHRP (Dice pool/resource budgets, stress budgets for their threats, and extra-scene budget in the way of Doom Pool)

Torchbearer (Adventure size budgets, conflict budgets, procedures and Camp and Town costs on the player-side that drive opposition constraints)

Quantitative budgets and related procedures are one way of constraining GM opposition that can be brought to bear against the goals of players in situations, scenes, or phases of play.

Another way is the AW or PBtA/FitD route. Instead of budgets and budget-related procedures (although we do have some of those in the Harm and Recovery mechanics, Barter/lifestyle/Working Gigs, Hx, intra-move mechanics, and Threat Clocks...in FitD we have a whole lot more of integrated budgets), we have clarity and codification of agenda + principles + table-facing procedures + premise.

We've covered agenda, principles, table-facing procedures so I'm going to focus on premise (not just what it is, but how we arrive at it during play, and how it works with the rest of the game to constrain opposition) as I think this might be an area of slight disagreement around the periphery.

* AW has 3 character-specific premise components that should find their way heavily into play (and not incidentally): Highlighted stats, Hx track, playbook-specific xp.

* AW also has character-unrelated aspects. No matter who you are, you can't escape the apocalyptica. This manifests in:

(a) the psychic maelstrom (its existence and its implication including its Ψ-Harm)

(b) the particular brand of "daunting/dangerous brokenness" of this world which are the Threat archetypes (Warlords, Grotesques, Afflictions, Brutes, Landscapes, Terrain, Vehicles)

(c) the Sword of Damocles of scarcity and deprivation which the pressure point that the Lifestyle/Barter/Working Gigs procedures inflict upon us (what you need to do to maintain at all...what you're willing to lower yourself to or risk in order to merely maintain) and D-Harm (which can manifest at the character level...but often manifests at the population level - another pressure point...dealing with the implications of the prospect of scarcity and deprivation at scale).

AW gets around the GM Fiat orientation of "dealer's choice" that propels much of the traditional play space by:

* Making everything table-facing.

* Making procedures/moves and their results mandate. There is no opt-out by the participants at the table (MC among them).

* Making those bolded things above always and ever central to play. Yeah, we might be meandering and digressing and reflecting for a moment here and there or when we're trying to build-out a situation...but sooner (not later), something_will_happen (whether its procedures like Lifestyle/Barter/Working Gigs or a Threat acting offscreen or a GM framing a charged situation via a Threat or a GM provoking with charged framing or a GM prompting with ambiguous framing and a player aggressively making a move to orient and charge the situation.

* The nature of the conversation (particularly asking provocative questions and using the answers + GM "be a fan of characters" orientation) + both the potency and breadth of player moves in orienting situation framing or re-framing present situation (in D&D parlance...its like every AW player is playing a Wizard).

These things all integrate to create a (lets call it) "Budget By Proxy." We know when a situation is opened and we know when its resolved and we know the orientation of its resolution (escalation or de-escalation or complication along a different axis). We know when a Threat is viable and vital and we know when its been resolved (when its "gone boom" or been eliminated or gone away). This doesn't happen in the quantitative way of the budgets of games like 4e or Cortex+ MHRP/FR or TB, but we know it by the integration of all of the stuff above.

And we also know that the occult influence of the psychic maelstrom and scarcity and deprivation are built into the foundation of play...and their proverbial budget is limitless...there is no escape...they_are_never_going_away (like The Grind in Torchbearer). Even then though...contrast the scarcity and deprivation procedures and mechanics of Lifestyle/Barter/Working Gigs and those of interacting with the psychic maelstrom and The Grind in TB and their consistent implication and application and upon play (not just on fiction but on gamestate and decisions related to both) with GM-facing mechanics and "Dealer's Call" GM-facing principles of Trad games that govern both singular threats and, especially, persistent threats. Its a totally different ball of wax.

I hope this draws a good contrast for AW with both Trad, "Big GM" games and other Story Now or Step On Up games that are based on GM Quantitative Budget constraints.

TLDR - AW doesn't manage GM Budget Constraint by way of Quantitative Budget Constraints (a la 4e, Cortex+ MHRP/FH, TB) but because of the intersection of (a) how table-facing the game is + (b) how constraining the agenda and principles and procedures are (they aren't opt-out by anyone at the table, MC especially) + (c) how much clarity there is around premise/reward cycles + (d) the reality that everyone is playing a D&D Wizard (with potent and vast situation orienting, situation framing, and situation reframing capability).

Last edited:

I know this thread died down a while ago so apologies coming in late. I'll put here a couple of examples of prep work I did for some AW games a while ago -- because I think examples are always helpful.

These were from 1st Edition AW when you had Fronts instead of the 2nd Edition Threat Map.

---

First up: The Stalk, a partially defunct space elevator, and its surrounding area.
1660146959432.png

(Credit for The Stalk idea goes to someone from the late lamented AW Google+ community.)

In this example I put most of my effort into the Countdown Clocks for the four Threats. This is what would happen if the PCs did nothing! In actual play a lot of this never happened.

The custom moves here are not my finest work and could easily be omitted from prep.

Note also that I didn't prep any stats for anyone: I didn't specify how big or well equipped the Kult of Kurzweil is, nor how big or tough the tribe of (Chimpan)Zees are. That ended up biting me in actual play because I had to pause to look things up.

So part of AW prep, as in "trad" games, should be statting up Threats ("monsters").

---

The second example is only partly completed.
1660147244107.png

In this one for Threat 3 (upper right) I did remember to note the stats of the dirtbikes and what weapons the riders have. At the table I was able to use the by-the-book Harm ratings for pistols, knives, and hunting rifle.

But as with the previous example, I spent most of my prep time here thinking about Countdown Clocks. I like have those fleshed out because it gives the game a sense of inevitable doom and forward momentum.

---

Hope these examples are helpful to future people who stumble across this thread, as I did!

I want to talk about zoom a little bit.

This has been something that I've encountered many times over the years posting on here and its come up a fair bit recently in both running various games and in talking with a longtime friend, exclusively a Trad player, who I will be running Stonetop for in about a month.

There is a phenomenon that you could call "high zoom gradient " that seems to create problems for some players. Hopefully its self-explanatory. For those that it isn't, its when the conversation of play yields magnitude of zoom change with some measure of frequency, likely with some significant increase/decrease from one moment to the next. AW absolutely possesses this (as does DW and other derivatives). Much like intent-driven vs task-driven action resolution, I've noticed that this can be an issue for Trad players who are cognitively inclined toward a serial level of zoom (tight) and granularity of situation framing > player decision-space > action undertaken and resolved > consequence.

Working Gigs is the perfect example of this, the options are:

* Say yes and vignette it.

* You can develop a plan together with the player (like Ritual or Quest in Dungeon World) where you're asking questions and using the answers (etc) and then you're zooming in tight, framing the first situation of the gig being worked by the player.

* After the player has chosen their gig from their playbook move, you can zoom out and abstract a full day's (or more) worth of effort by quickly coming up with a Custom Move and resolve the whole interval of time/effort with that one move.

* You could do exactly the same as directly above, except if that Custom Move for the worked gig yields a 7-9 or a 6-, you can suddenly zoom in tight on the action, resolving a complicated situation that has emerged from the 7-9 or 6- result (potentially snowball into a new avenue for the fiction and possibly a new Threat to be codified post-session). This is how Journey Custom Moves look in AW and how Undertake a Perilous Journey was conceived in DW.

AW play is shot through with this "high zoom gradient" whether it be Working Gigs, certain Playbook Moves, certain Custom Moves, or various and sundry peripheral moves like Barter or Subterfuge etc. You'll be zooming in and out with both frequency and magnitude.

Take care to have a discussion with longtime Trad players trying their hand at AW (or any derivative like DW etc) as they are apt to feel jarred by this (and again, I'd have the same conversation with them with respect to intent/macro goal-driven move resolution and post-move consequences; particularly if you're going offscreen).

I want to talk about zoom a little bit.

This has been something that I've encountered many times over the years posting on here and its come up a fair bit recently in both running various games and in talking with a longtime friend, exclusively a Trad player, who I will be running Stonetop for in about a month.

There is a phenomenon that you could call "high zoom gradient " that seems to create problems for some players. Hopefully its self-explanatory. For those that it isn't, its when the conversation of play yields magnitude of zoom change with some measure of frequency, likely with some significant increase/decrease from one moment to the next. AW absolutely possesses this (as does DW and other derivatives). Much like intent-driven vs task-driven action resolution, I've noticed that this can be an issue for Trad players who are cognitively inclined toward a serial level of zoom (tight) and granularity of situation framing > player decision-space > action undertaken and resolved > consequence.

Working Gigs is the perfect example of this, the options are:

* Say yes and vignette it.

* You can develop a plan together with the player (like Ritual or Quest in Dungeon World) where you're asking questions and using the answers (etc) and then you're zooming in tight, framing the first situation of the gig being worked by the player.

* After the player has chosen their gig from their playbook move, you can zoom out and abstract a full day's (or more) worth of effort by quickly coming up with a Custom Move and resolve the whole interval of time/effort with that one move.

* You could do exactly the same as directly above, except if that Custom Move for the worked gig yields a 7-9 or a 6-, you can suddenly zoom in tight on the action, resolving a complicated situation that has emerged from the 7-9 or 6- result (potentially snowball into a new avenue for the fiction and possibly a new Threat to be codified post-session). This is how Journey Custom Moves look in AW and how Undertake a Perilous Journey was conceived in DW.

AW play is shot through with this "high zoom gradient" whether it be Working Gigs, certain Playbook Moves, certain Custom Moves, or various and sundry peripheral moves like Barter or Subterfuge etc. You'll be zooming in and out with both frequency and magnitude.

Take care to have a discussion with longtime Trad players trying their hand at AW (or any derivative like DW etc) as they are apt to feel jarred by this (and again, I'd have the same conversation with them with respect to intent/macro goal-driven move resolution and post-move consequences; particularly if you're going offscreen).
Well, this was the first thing that basically came up with 4e Skill Challenges too, you can go all over the place. An entire SC could be just a part of the action during an encounter, or it could be an epic quest across half a content, and any given check made within one could represent anywhere from "I try to pick the lock" to "I keep us on course for 1000 miles across the Great Desert, using landmarks, the map, the compass, and the sextant as needed." That was not super easy for a lot of people to grasp...

And yes, you can do similar things in DW, both in terms of the scale in time and space of an intent, and in terms of the complexity of the undertaking to resolve it, within reason. Usually you can feel out what works, but sometimes I found, especially with SCs, that it could be easy to pick the wrong scale! I think PbtA is a bit more forgiving there, in general.

Remove ads