• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Min/Max a Lasher plz

Veldrane

First Post
Well, I thought of a character I'd like to try, but I'd prefer u to criticise him first...
Here it is..

Race: Wild Elf (From FRCS, +2 Dex, -2 Int)

Lvl....Class..........BAB.......Feats................Special
1....Rogue..........+0....Point Blank Shot....+1d6 Sneak Attack
2....Rogue..........+1..................................Evasion
3....Rogue..........+2....Precise Shot.........+2d6 Sneak, Uncanny DOdge
4....Fighter.........+3.....Exotic Prof (Whip)
5....Fighter.........+4....Improved Initiative
6....Guild Thief....+4....Rapid Shot............+3d6 Sneak, Doublespeak
7....Guild Thief....+5....Weap. FOcus (Whip)
8....Guild Thief....+6.................................+4d6 Sneak
9....Lasher..........+7....Combat Reflexes....Whip Sneak +5d6, etc, etc...
10....Lasher........+8.................................Improved Trip, Third Hand
11....Lasher........+9.................................Crack Of Fate
12....Lasher........+10....Expert Tactician....Lashing Whip
13....Lasher........+11.................................Whip Sneak +6d6
14....Lasher........+12.................................Improved Disarm
15....Lasher........+13....(Knock-Down).......Stunning Snap
16....Lasher........+14.................................Crack Of Doom
17....Lasher........+15.................................Whip Sneak +7d6
18....Lasher........+16.... ?? Feat ??.............Death Spiral

Well, the advancement goes on only till lvl 18, still I don't know what to put thereafter (maybe a lvl of Barb for the Rage, but what then...?)
I'm not sure 'bout the Knock-Down Feat, as I'm not of the advancement to met the prereq of the Lasher (I tried to balance Sneak dmg, BAB and feats)

As it is now, it will do up to seven attacks with a +7d6 sneak dmg, that's not bad, but I'm sure it can be improved...
The BAB at lvl 20 would be:
Normal Attack: +18/+13/+8/+3
W/ Rapid Shot: +16/+16/+11/+6/+1
W/ Crack of Fate: +14/+14/+14/+9/+4/-1
W/ Crack of Doom: +10/+10/+10/+10/+5/+0/-5

Btw, do you have any way to Sneak Attack someone prone (that's the reason I'd take Knock-Down)

Thnx in advance...

Crothian

First Post
I'd squeeze in two more levels of fighter for weapon specizlization. That +2 damage will be more useful (on every hit) then 1d6 sneak attack on only some hits.

Why combat reflexes?

Knock down is melee weapon only, whip is ranged.

Veldrane

First Post
Combat Reflexes is a prerequisite for Expert Tactician (by Song and Silence version, which supersedes the Sword and Fist one)

The Weapon Specialization is a viable option, but the barbarian Rage can be a life saver in certain situation IMO...

Knock Down states that is has to be used in melee combat, not with melee weapons, and with the Lasher PrC you threaten and can attack your adiacent square (Close Combat - Lasher lvl 1), so I suppose I can use the Knock-Down... ...am I wrong?

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Some of the class abilities of the Order of the Bow Initiate are very useful for a Lasher.

Even though OoBI is supposed to be fore archers, things like close combat work with any ranged attack, as well as having a good BAB and two good save categories and a d10 hit die.

Greg

Chun-tzu

First Post
The favored class for wild elves is sorcerer, so you need to alter the order of your first few levels so that your fighter/rogue levels are no more than 1 level apart. That also makes taking a level of barbarian difficult, as you'd have 3 nonfavored classes (although maybe your DM would be willing to substitute barbarian for the wild elf's favored class).

Personally, I don't think barbarian fits the lasher very well. Lashers are about precision and style, not brute force. Order of the Bow Initiate is an interesting idea, but it would require you to take 2 more levels of fighter and use 2 more feats on bows, so the cost may not be worth it for this character. Gladiator would be a good choice, since it would be an easy class for this character to qualify for, and Improved Feint is useful for rogue types.

Veldrane

First Post
Chun-Tzu; the character was built to start from lvl 7, so the order of the classes didn't matter, but when I decided to bring in the Barb, I thought the Tiefling would be the best choice (btw, ....

For the Gladiator, that could be very nice, and it doesn't require to take any feats...

I know some skills of the OotBI should be good, but, as I said before, I think better of a good compromise among BAB and Sneak Attack and special abilities, not the ability to use all ranged weapons when I'll use just one (my) whip dagger...

Thanx again, keep on posting :)

Skaros

First Post
Tiefling barbarian?

I'm not really sure I see how, after years of sophisticated and refined training as a rogue, fighter, lasher, whatever, suddenly become barbaric....

Do you have some plan to spend a summer among a barbarian tribe trying to divest yourself of your city slicker ways or something?

-Skaros

Veldrane

First Post
Ya Tiefling Barbarian....

Skaros: Don't wanna be rude, but if I wanted a Roleplay critique, I'd surely had not made a Min/Max thread, don't you think?

Anyway...

Skaros said:
I'm not really sure I see how, after years of sophisticated and refined training as a rogue, fighter, lasher, whatever, suddenly become barbaric....

Let's just figure out a character who's forced on exile and lives in the wastelands for a couple of years... ...that could be a viable way he could take a level of barbarian (it's just the first thing I thought out).... ....Imho, the class progression is not what makes a character well roleplayed or not...

Edited: Quote

Last edited:

Veldrane

First Post
I'm sorry I don't know... ...as far as I know it plz = please, nothing else, but I can be wrong...

Hey, is the Lasher the most hated PrC or is it just perfect as it is (obviously joking :) )..? ...just to know why nobody replies... :(

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads