• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Min/Max a Lasher plz

AGGEMAM

First Post
OK, so plz stands for please, I thought it might be some new abbreviation of Prestige Class (PrC) that I haven't seen before.

I have a rule of thumb regarding PrC's, if you want a PrC get it as soon as possible.

If would go like this

1st level: Rogue, Improved initiative
2nd level: Rogue
3rd level: Rogue, Exotic Weapon Prof. (Whip)
4th level: Fighter, Weapon Focus (Whip)
5th level: Fighter, Combat Reflexes
6th level: Guild Thief, Point Blank Shot
7th level: Lasher PrC
8th level: Guild Thief, Precise Shot
9th level: Lasher PrC, Rapid Shot
10th level: Improved Critical (Whip Dagger)

Last edited:

MeanGenes

First Post
Here's something that most people overlook with lashers. A bard knows all simple weapons and gets to choose one "bonus" weapon to be proficient in. You can choose whip as your bonus weapon and avoid having to waste a feat on it. And although you effectively lose 1 BAB, you gain +1 hit and damage morale bonus from singing.

Go 1/2Elf or human

So you could do something like this:
level 1 bard: choose whip and point blank shot (and improved init if human)
level 2 fighter: Weapon focus whip
level 3 fighter: precise shot and rapid shot
level 4 fighter (raise dex)
level 5 fighter: weapon spec. Whip
level 6 rogue: combat reflexes, +1d6 sneak attack
level 7 rogue: evasion
level 8 rogue: uncanny dodge, +2d6 sneak attack (raise dex)
level 9 lasher: improved critical whip
level 10-12 lasher: expert tactician (raise dex)
level 13-15 lasher: quicker than the eye
level 16-18 lasher: no idea (raise dex)
level 19-20 rogue: +6d6 sneak attack (raise dex)

going 1/2elf or human allows you to take the above levels in the above order because they can have any favored class.

In the above you have +17 BAB which allows 4 attacks/round. With rapid shot + crack of doom you have 7 attacks/round (all at -6 to hit, though weapon focus and bardic music reduce the penalty by 2). The damage is whip +5 (specialization, lashing whip, bardic music) +6d6 if target is denied dex bonus. Plus some 0 level spells and bardic music 1Xday.

How's this?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
MeanGenes said:
Going 1/2elf or human allows you to take the above levels in the above order because they can have any favored class.

This is a common misconception. A human and half-elf's favored class is indeed listed as "Any". However, when you continue to read the text below that, you'll notice that this "Any" is actually whichever class they have the most levels in.

In your example, the favored class is Fighter, since that they have the most levels in that class (4). This leaves 3 levels of Rogue alongside 1 level of Bard. Since these aren't within one level of each other, the character incurs a -20% XP penalty.

You'd have to either lose one of the levels of Rogue or take one more level of Bard in order to remove the XP penalty.

AGGEMAM

First Post
RogueJK said:
This is a common misconception. A human and half-elf's favored class is indeed listed as "Any". However, when you continue to read the text below that, you'll notice that this "Any" is actually whichever class they have the most levels in.

In your example, the favored class is Fighter, since that they have the most levels in that class (4). This leaves 3 levels of Rogue alongside 1 level of Bard. Since these aren't within one level of each other, the character incurs a -20% XP penalty.

You'd have to either lose one of the levels of Rogue or take one more level of Bard in order to remove the XP penalty.

Although your argument is correct, the conclusion is slightly of, in that you gain the penalty for both the rogue and the bard, so it -40% XP penalty in MeanGenes case.

But you are right, it is a common mistake.

Veldrane

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Although your argument is correct, the conclusion is slightly of, in that you gain the penalty for both the rogue and the bard, so it -40% XP penalty in MeanGenes case.

Ehm, I think he's talking of a race who has Favored Class: Any, so, the fighter doesn't count (since it's the higher class), and then the penalty is just 20%... ...as always, correct me if I'm wrong...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ehm, I think he's talking of a race who has Favored Class: Any, so, the fighter doesn't count (since it's the higher class), and then the penalty is just 20%... ...as always, correct me if I'm wrong...

20% is correct; AGGEMAM is wrong.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads