Help - New Blinding look?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thank the powers I'm back in black. And for the record, most of the sites I frequent are done in a black colour scheme: metalstorm, gamebanshee, ultimate guitar, you name it. You know, all kvlt and tr00, but also easier on the eyes, I think.

Ultimate Guitar? The UK site? It's black on pale grey for me...

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Ow...that burnt my retinas.

Without going into too much color theory, the blinding white and high contrast are great for smaller screens (tablets, phones) cheap screens with a poor backlight, and some folk with really bad eyesight; yet it is lousy for really nice larger screens like what I have hooked up to my desktop (with a 20K to 1 contrast ratio, I've already turned the darn thing down quite).

Ashtagon

Adventurer
Yeah, it probably isn't the sort of colour scheme associated with workplace-approved websites. But let;'s face it -- this isn't the sort of site you should be browsing at work anyway, unless you work in the games industry of course. The "work-safe" scheme should be the option, not the default.

As for modern sites, the majority these days (even some sites I have to use for work) seem to favour some kind of grey-on-white scheme, which I find almost impossible to read. I frequently find myself having to telephone their offices because I can't read their websites because of their choice of colour scheme.

Finally, if you are going to change colour schemes drastically, bear in mind that the icons will all need subtle changes to fit in with the backgrounds.

Walking Dad

First Post
On the PBP sub-forum, we use often 'speak' colors to make it less difficult to distinguish between different players.

These are the most favorite and they become hard to read on white. This would affect everyones abilities to read old threads.

Another poster here in favor of the black color scheme.

I was gone all weekend at drill with my National Guard unit, and came home and wondered what the heck had happened to ENWorld. I was thinking it was my computer at first (since if my connection is glitchy, ENWorld will load with a white background, probably since the backgrounds and style information didn't load).

If you want it to be white in overall color, it really does need a total chance to the interface and design, not just a quick palette swap.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Just my personal opinion:

I hold the same philosophy as my cat: change is bad.

Aside from that, the white background really hurts my eyes on the 22 inch monitor I have, which wouldn't be so much of an issue on a smaller screen. I also think a little more contrast would be a good thing.

HOWEVER I'm happy that I have the option to switch it back to black so I won't complain about it too much :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is usually a tendency for folks to respond instantly, and then the message is "change is bad".

I'm going to try living with the white for a couple of days, and then decide what I think of it.

Remove ads