Help - New Blinding look?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
What are the chances that the CSS file had something in it besides color changes?

Reason I ask is that I was away from the site for a few days when the switch happened. When I came back and found the switch, I also stopped getting screen freezes and other glitches, that had been plaguing me with ENWorld for some time. (It isn't just ENWorld. But the other sites that do it are obviously using heavy scripting or CSS.) My browser is usually IE 8 or IE 9. I had assumed previously that my troubles were because of the usual Microsoft bloat.

I have a hard time believing that a simple color change could be that drastic in performance. Of course, it could simply be coincidence, but I doubt it. ESPN still freezes me out something awful.

For whatever reason, I'd sure like to have the option to continue using this scheme going forward. Faster loads makes up rapidly for a bit excessive brightness.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Strangely, on my laptop, my background is still the same black it has always been, and I have never knowingly altered any settings for it.

However, on my iPad, the forum did go white a few days ago, and still is.

So I have been reading both ways for the last couple days. Still prefer the black, which is somewhat strange since I normally like reading on white backgrounds.

Baumi

Adventurer
I thought the site is broken at the moment and cannot load completely :p

Anyway, I like when sites change from time to time (keeps things fresh) but at the moment it looks wrong.

Jupp

Explorer
The bright background with dark text is certainly better to read on my tablet. Especially when sitting on th balcony with alot of ambient light on a bright sunny day.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Having a choice between color schemes is great, but having that choice remembered between logged in sessions would be even better. B-)

Tharian

First Post
Count me among those in favor of the dark color scheme. It's much easier on my eyes, particularly since I tend to visit the site late in the evening and frequently have the overhead lights off. The bright white caused a lot of eye strain when it first loaded and was quickly changed back when I learned of the option to specify the darker scheme.

ssampier

First Post
I actually like the new white background. I think some of the reaction can stemmed from "change is bad". Also most corporate websites have white backgrounds, so having a black background is a bit of a hobbyist or anti-corporate message (En World is very much the former, not as much as the latter).

For me, although I like the white, the site now has too much blue. Links are blue, text is blue, headings are dark blue, etc.

I think the hyperlink colors should be changed to something other than blue. Or, better yet, change most text to regular black (hexadecimal #000) or very dark gray (#333 looks okay).

Last edited:

Remove ads