Help with a Fighter

Dannorn

Explorer
Working on a character for a game coming up and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm going with a Human Fighter and starting at level 4, my plan so far is to focus on two handed weapons, Sunders, and Critical Hits. Was originally thinking of going with a Falchion and using either Keen or Improved Crit to get a threat range of 15-20, but with only 2d4 damage it's only slightly better than a Longsword (which would let me use a Shield).

So if anyone has suggestions I'm wondering should I go for the Falchion for the better threat range, the Greatsword for better damage, or completely gamble on the Greataxe for the x3 multiplier? Also any recommendations on which I should run with; Keen or Imrpoved Crit, and are there any other ways to increase my threat range (PHB only).

Kinak

First Post
For what it's worth, there's a "Character Builds and Optimization" forum here. You might get a better answer than mine there.

You've identified the only ways to increase your critical range in the core books. For now, you'd need to go keen because you won't qualify for improved critical until level 8.

When comparing longsword and falchion, remember that two-handed weapons deal 1.5 times your strength bonus. That's a pretty big deal, especially for a critical build.

The difference in crit ranges will eventually make the damage balances out. If I have the math correct, a keen falcion will do as much (on average) as a keen greatsword at around +19 damage... which might be a ways off from 4th level.

That said, if you enjoy getting critical hits all the time go for the falchion. You might deal slightly less damage for a while, but it's not terrible and it'll be more fun.

Cheers!
Kinak

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Working on stats for a game coming up and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm going with a Human Fighter and starting at level 4, my plan so far is to focus on two handed weapons, Sunders, and Critical Hits. Was originally thinking of going with a Falchion and using either Keen or Improved Crit to get a threat range of 15-20, but with only 2d4 damage it's only slightly better than a Longsword (which would let me use a Shield).

So if anyone has suggestions I'm wondering should I go for the Falchion for the better threat range, the Greatsword for better damage, or completely gamble on the Greataxe for the x3 multiplier? Also any recommendations on which I should run with; Keen or Imrpoved Crit, and are there any other ways to increase my threat range (PHB only).

Made a small change to the OP. Hope it's okay.

3.5 melee fighters have two routes to go for killing: attacks or damage, which ends up being two-handed fighting or power attacks. I've never seen crits as a viable minmax route.

That being said, the falchion is an awesome choice for flavor! Go with it! I mean, who uses a curved sword? Well, you do! Might as well add one or two crit features while you're at it.

So that rules out the two-handed fighting. Go for power attacks, and since you get to start at fourth level, cherry-pick yourself a multiclass too. Like...rogue for sneak attack. And quick draw. Now you're the guy who can cut an enemy in half before he knows you've drawn your curved sword.

Dandu

First Post
I've never seen crits as a viable minmax route.
You have now.

Working on a character for a game coming up and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm going with a Human Fighter and starting at level 4, my plan so far is to focus on two handed weapons, Sunders, and Critical Hits.
Don't do sunder. Destroying your own loot is bad.

If I had to choose between the two of those, I'd go with Keen. Improved Critical costs a feat, and only applies to a specific weapon. If you decide to change your primary weapon later, say, because you found a great +3 Wounding Greatsword, you would have wasted a precious feat.

Better than the Keen enchantment, though, would be the Scabbard of Keen Edges. You can change your primary weapon, and still apply the keen quality to it via the item.

Last edited:

Dannorn

Explorer
You've identified the only ways to increase your critical range in the core books. For now, you'd need to go keen because you won't qualify for improved critical until level 8.

Yeah was thinking Keen was the better way to go, though I do like being able to have the improved threat range without having to spend money, but the restrictions of Improved Crit (aside from level) kinda makes the choice for me.

When comparing longsword and falchion, remember that two-handed weapons deal 1.5 times your strength bonus. That's a pretty big deal, especially for a critical build.

This is a very good point I hadn't considered.

Made a small change to the OP. Hope it's okay.

Fair enough.

3.5 melee fighters have two routes to go for killing: attacks or damage, which ends up being two-handed fighting or power attacks. I've never seen crits as a viable minmax route.

Not trying to min/max too much here, the crit focus is mostly just to offset my terrible rolling. I'm also doing what I can to gain flat bonuses but there's only so much I can get, so I'm looking for things that let me roll more dice to get bigger numbers.

So that rules out the two-handed fighting. Go for power attacks, and since you get to start at fourth level, cherry-pick yourself a multiclass too. Like...rogue for sneak attack. And quick draw. Now you're the guy who can cut an enemy in half before he knows you've drawn your curved sword.

Hmm hadn't thought of multi-classing, though that would build on my roll more dice strategy.

Right now my feats are looking like

1st - Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Falchion), Quickdraw
2nd - Improved Sunder
3rd - Cleave or Dodge
4th - Weapon Specialization (Falchion)

Now if I take a level in Rogue I'm thinking I'll go with Dodge instead of Cleave. Even as straight Fighter Dodge is probably better to take, Cleave is highly situational and since my DM likes to dogpile on frontliners being harder to hit, even just +1 against 1 opponent, is better than maybe doing more damage to one other enemy if I end up dropping this one.

Don't do sunder. Destroying your own loot is bad.

Fair point. Sunder spawned from an attempt to create an odd character trait, a pacifist Fighter. He'll kill monsters, beasts, demons, etc. creatures who are irredeemable either because of their nature (demons, devils, and the like) or because they lack the capacity for reform (animals and "mindless" monsters). Any creature capable of reasoning though he'll attempt to disarm and/or incapacitate rather than kill. Sunder seemed a better route than Disarm because I'd only need to take one feat to make it work rather than two. Suppose I could just say I'm always trying to deal non-lethal damage and play it up that way. Any feats that eliminate or reduce the -4 to hit when trying to deal non-lethal damage?

If I had to choose between the two of those, I'd go with Keen. Improved Critical costs a feat, and only applies to a specific weapon. If you decide to change your primary weapon later, say, because you found a great +3 Wounding Greatsword, you would have wasted a precious feat.

As a Fighter I've kinda got feats to burn but you raise a good point. So would you recommend not taking Weapon Focus and Specialization and if so which feats would you recommend.

Better than the Keen enchantment, though, would be the Scabbard of Keen Edges. You can change your primary weapon, and still apply the keen quality to it via the item.

Sadly out of my price range, however you've given me an idea; Oil of Keen Edge is not. Thinking I can only afford one but as an ace in the whole it's not bad.

Dandu

First Post
As a Fighter I've kinda got feats to burn but you raise a good point. So would you recommend not taking Weapon Focus and Specialization and if so which feats would you recommend.
Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm (traded from Sunder).

If you don't have the INT for those, Stand Still, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative.

If you really want to deal subdual damage, you can try Subduing Strike, but nonlethal damage is not considered a very good tactic - too easy to negate.

Last edited:

Remove ads