• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a Melee Striker

Kaledor

First Post
Since 4e started, I've been playing ranged strikers and controlers (mostly arcane). I'm about to play my first melee striker in 4e. But there are so many options!!

I hoping you-all can help me focus my list. Is 2-weapon Ranger a good striker or is Rogue still the king of damage? How does the barbarian fit in? What about making the fighter or warden less defender and more striker??? I'm trying to stay away from arcane and divine sources (so no Avenger) for story reasons... Should I try a hybrid? Are there any good builds that way?

Those of you that have played a melee striker, any thoughts or suggestions for me? I'm a blank page, give me your best ideas :)

PS. I was thinking about going with the 1/2elf (to pick up a ranged attack for when really necessary) or dragonborn (also for that ranged attack... just in case you get stuck away from the group and still want to get a shot off). But I could be convinced of just about any race. lol

Klaus

First Post
Since 4e started, I've been playing ranged strikers and controlers (mostly arcane). I'm about to play my first melee striker in 4e. But there are so many options!!

I hoping you-all can help me focus my list. Is 2-weapon Ranger a good striker or is Rogue still the king of damage? How does the barbarian fit in? What about making the fighter or warden less defender and more striker??? I'm trying to stay away from arcane and divine sources (so no Avenger) for story reasons... Should I try a hybrid? Are there any good builds that way?

Those of you that have played a melee striker, any thoughts or suggestions for me? I'm a blank page, give me your best ideas :)

PS. I was thinking about going with the 1/2elf (to pick up a ranged attack for when really necessary) or dragonborn (also for that ranged attack... just in case you get stuck away from the group and still want to get a shot off). But I could be convinced of just about any race. lol
The best melee striker, damage wise, is still the Two-Weapon ranger, mostly due to Twin Strike. With two feats, a 1st-level human with Str 20 can dual-wield bastard swords and increase Hunter's Quarry to d8s. Two attacks at +8/1d10+5 plus another 1d8 once per round is very good.

Mad Hamish

First Post
pretty much all of the melee strikers are reasonable (the Assassin is generally thought to be underpowered)
rogues are fragile
two weapon rangers probably still do the most damage of any class as a general rule
barbarians do fair damage, so does the Avenger.

Really it's much more about picking one you want to play rather than worrying too much about which one is better.

(Note that if you're looking at maximizing damage Weapon Focus is better than getting hunter's quarry up to d8)

Kaledor

First Post
Thanks for the input so far!

I like both the Ranger and the Barbarian. They both seem a little less fragile and able to stand in the front lines to deliver hits (unlike the Rogue -- cool concept, but I'd hate to constantly be on the verge of death).

Min-maxing asside, does one have "cooler" powers than the other? (I know, "cooler" is a relative term... but I'm looking for *your* opinions here, so that's okay).

What about races? Has anybody found a particulary fun mixture?

(PS, is hybriding worth it? Would a Hybrid Fighter-Ranger or Fighter-Barbarian or some other combo work well? Has anyone tried any of these? )

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Thanks for the input so far!

I like both the Ranger and the Barbarian. They both seem a little less fragile and able to stand in the front lines to deliver hits (unlike the Rogue -- cool concept, but I'd hate to constantly be on the verge of death).

I never really had that issue with the rogue; they have a higher AC and Reflex than the typical TWF ranger. A halfling Cha rogue can provoke OAs all the damn time and enjoy the gentle breeze of whiffs, which in turn can lead to punishment from the defender. Our dwarf TWF ranger wound up in plate just because he kept get hitting so often, and his player is shocked as hell when a Will attack misses, but he pours out damage like it's water.

I hear monks are fairly fragile, but they sure look fun.

The barbarian in our group takes a ton of damage, and also eats up a ton of my healing. He has practically no AC, and I don't think he did that much more damage than my battle cleric.

Brad

Drakhar

First Post
The best melee striker, damage wise, is still the Two-Weapon ranger, mostly due to Twin Strike. With two feats, a 1st-level human with Str 20 can dual-wield bastard swords and increase Hunter's Quarry to d8s. Two attacks at +8/1d10+5 plus another 1d8 once per round is very good.

Just one thing, Twin Strike doesn't allow strength modifiers so it's just +8/1d10, but aside from that it's still the damage king. Plus it's a Melee or Ranged power so if you've got a decent Dex you can use that as your ranged attack as well.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The TWF ranger's powers are mostly rather blah improved takes on twin strike that do more damage or have some minor add-on, or do even more than two attacks. They largely attack AC. Quite effective, not that 'cool' IMHO, but that sort of thing is subjective.

The Barbrian is also prettymuch about attacking AC and doing damage, but there's actualy something to choose among the at-wills, and Rage powers give it a little variation beyond just hitting things hard.

The Rogue isn't quite as tough as the Ranger, let alone the Barbarian, so works best in partnership with a very effective defender. But, it has quite a set of powers, able to choose powers that attack non-AC defenses at every level, it doesn't attack as often as the ranger but it hits pretty dependably, and, it's powers do more 'cool stuff' than most ranger powers, as well.

Alukane

First Post
If you want to be tough doing a good amount of damage why don't you try the tempest fighter? It has high static damage, if you go with Spiked Chain Training you have in the hands a +3prof 2d4 light blade and with Midnight Blade Student you can target reflexes instead of AC with your Dual Strike...And you got a defender's HP and surges...

Fighters also have a great number of powers between you can choose, and a lot of options in general...Is it so evident it's my favourite class? :p

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Rangers have a few cool powers. Disruptive Strike is a good staple that can negate a hit almost every encounter and does good damage. I find powers like Sweeping Whirlwind to be very versatile even though they are not very much liked by optimizers. It gives you a way to deal with minions and swarms, and pushing and knocking targets prone is always good, if you can deny them charge targets, if you have a wizard or invoker who dazes them, etc.

With the Barbarian, my favorite is easily the Thaneborn because of all the ways I get to help the rest of the party. Love the versatility of Pressing Strike, I like playing bowling with Brutal Slam, dance around the battlefield with Vault the Fallen to hand out my bonuses, and am fond of a number of rages like Thunder Hawk Rage knocking people down right and left.

You might also consider Monk. They do start out a bit fragile, but that weakness can be covered through various means. Halflings, Half-orcs and Githzerai I think all make fun and interesting monks and all have racial defensive measures. Githzerai become very sturdy at paragon level. And their powers are loads of fun, and great for party cooperation if your party has the right tools for forced movement utilization.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Also, you can consider planning your PC on the leader. If you play a barbarian, the warlord has some cool options to give you free charge attacks. The barbarian also has the usage of an at-will instead of the MBA, which doesn't work for the twin striking ranger. In our group, the barbarian was very exciting and fun (if the DM can stomach it), but the TWF ranger pretty much sucked. Very boring and squishy and the DPR though mathematically higher didn't 'feel' that way in actual play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads