D&D 5E Help with Character for PotA

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Just started a new PotA campaign and I'm looking for some character advice.

A bit of background information:

We've played two sessions right now and are all 2nd level. The DM has told us that we can re-make our characters before 3rd level without taking a level penalty so I'm taking the opportunity to re-evaluate what I'm playing. The group overall (including the DM) is new to 5e with some new to RPGs in general. As such, we've not been very good in general during combat. We would have already lost two characters to failed death saves if not for my foresight in getting a healers kit and using Cunning Action to disengage and stabilize in a single round. I think we don't synergize well due to a combination of people not knowing their characters well and class mix.

Note that I do not want to tell other people how to run their character. I think part of the joy for new players is in discovery of the game and what they can or cannot do. Besides, everyone else seems to be haing fun. I am too but it's a bit stressful with the feeling that I'm herding cats. So, I'm trying to figure out the right character to kind of oversee and support everything.

Current Party and my observations so far:

Dragonborn Ranger - Complete new to RPG (and DM's wife). Headed to Beastmaster at 3rd level. Archer based with a real reluctance to get into melee. Concerned with hit point loss in general and has used spell slots for Cure Wounds so far.

Half-Elf Warlock - New to 5e. Seems to know what he's doing, Headed to Pact of the Chain. Low level warlock. Content to sit back at range and blast away

Half-Elf Bard - New to 5e. Wife/girlfriend/fiancee to warlock player. She's pretty sharp. Has picked good spells and used them timely. Don't know whether she's going Lore or Valor. So far, her preference again is to sit back and fire from range with shortbow. A bit overcurious in poking around though and has triggered a couple of encounters because of it though.

Human War Cleric - New player. He only played the first session and didn't play last week. Needs to learn his class. DM had to point out he had Channel Divinity (and thus turn undead) when faced with an undead encounter. Overly concerned with hit point loss. Extremely reluctant to be in melee combat and used Cure Light the first time he was hit by an attack.

Human Barbarian - New player but understands his character features - Headed to Bear Totem at 3rd and has GWM as his feat now. I think he needs to understand when to use his rages better and not getting caught in a situation where his damage resistance can only hold up so much. He's my 14 year old son so I can discuss his character with him, but I want to just suggest things. This is the 1st time we've ever played together and I'm using it a bonding experience with him. OOC goal is to keep his character alive becausehe's pretty much invested in it already (we've already ordered him a mini from Heroforge). He's one of the two I had to save so far (the other being the ranger)

Me? I'm playing a Wood Elf Rogue. I'm the party scout and I don't really want to give up that role because that normally gives me the opportunity to set the pace for the party when exploring dungeons/lairs/etc. Was originally planning on going Swashbuckler/Paladin long term.

So, given our party makeup (and inclinations) and given that I can remake a character now, what would best fit this party?

From my standpoint, we need another melee character. The barb will be able to tank when he hits 3rd level, but the ranger and cleric are less than enthusiastic at best to step up. Also note that we've been caught spread out most of the time so it's been pretty easy for the enemy to get to the squishy ranged characters. It's true that all 2nd level characters are relatively squishy, but I digress.

I like the rogue levels I have so far. Cunning Action allows me to disengage and get to places I'm needed and I do enjoy the scouting function. I am willing to scrap them if presented with a better option.

I'm still leaning to continue with my plan of multiclassing swashbuckler and paladin. I want to go Oath of the Ancients and I get the feeling the 7th level aura would be really helpful in PotA. Bless would be a good buff spell, especially for the barbarian. I was also thinking of taking the Shield Master feat. Combined with Swashbuckler, I could use my bonus action to shove (knock down) an enemy, then attack with advantage. Then I could disengage for free (due to Swashbuckler) and move somewhere else where needed. If I take the Protection fighting style, I could then use my reaction later in the round to impose disadvantage on an attack against an ally.

But, I'm open to suggestions. Someone else suggested the party needs a wizard for control and counterspell abilities. I can see his point but IMHO the last thing this party needs is another squishy character who doesn't want to be caught in melee.

What does everyone think?

Croesus

Adventurer
Wizard: Counterspell is outstanding in this module. There will be lots of cultists and lots of spells flying around. Arcane Eye is an excellent scouting spell. An evoker with fireball can be useful against most of the temples. Ditto feather fall, water walking and other utility spells. However, as you point out, you need meat-shields.

Rogue: Good scout, sneak attack will allow him to deal damage, mobility will allow him to cover the battlefield, Uncanny Dodge and Evasion will allow him to fill a front line role, though with fewer hit points than a fighter-type.

Paladin: Good damage-sink, good healing, great damage with smites, Aura of Protection is very helpful. Probably your best option with the current party.

One thing to consider is that the module seems wrap up around 10th-11th level, not 15th, especially if XP is divided among 5 or 6 PCs. So if you're planning a multi-class build that peaks in later levels, that may not work well.

Last edited:

Thalionalfirin

First Post
We're not tracking XP, at least as far as I know. I believe the DM is leveling us up when the adventure calls for it. At least I think that's what he's doing. If that's the case, does PotA cap at 11th level? That's something that would be handy to know.

Croesus

Adventurer
We're not tracking XP, at least as far as I know. I believe the DM is leveling us up when the adventure calls for it. At least I think that's what he's doing. If that's the case, does PotA cap at 11th level? That's something that would be handy to know.

You'll have to ask the DM. The module assumes characters will be roughly 13th level before the final encounters, but I think that's not necessary. My own group finished the module at 10th-11th, and that's what I've seen in a couple write ups by other groups. If you continue to have 5-6 PCs, 11th is a reasonable end point.

Remove ads