Help with Magical Teleport Trap

Ruined

Explorer
Hello All. I frequently like to end my campaign sessions with a bit of a cliffhanger to keep the players enthused (and myself as well). This time I ended with a magical trap that's pretty much a teleport redirect, shunting them from their intended location to a less favorable spot. Also when I described this, I told them they were split apart. I'm not so much worried about the mechanics for the trap - I know there are spells in Complete Arcane for this plus one of the adventures in the latest Dungeon has this style of trap. What I need is inspiration for the trap destination(s). I'm sure I could just drop them in solid earth and be all lethal, but where's the fun in that?

A bit of adventure background: The PC group consists of 6 characters, average level 16. They're trying to thwart the plans of a fiendish sorceress who follows Gulaben, a Scarred Land titan representing icy cold environs and temptation. The PCs possess the two halves of the mcguffin artifact that they seek to destroy. The artifact was originally created by servants of Gulaben, and obviously the sorceress wants to get it back. She's known of the PCs spying and anticipated their eventual teleport-assault, so the trap can be customized for them.

So I'm looking for interesting imprisonment schemes. Surreal environs are not out of the question, as I used to run a lot of Planescape. Also, any choice-based scenarios that could play up the tempation aspect of the titan are a plus. Thanks!

Clueless

Webmonkey
Cold environs and temptation huh?
Well that's just *begging* for a trip to a frozen waste (Plane of Ice?) and another party trip to a succubus/eriynes brothel... ;)

Also, so long as we're splitting the party with the trap - make sure the halves get split with it so the mcguffin can't be used yet. (Also lets her split her resources without the risk of someone using the thing.)

A sneaky thing you can do is 'replace' a PC without the player knowing about it with a doppelganger or some such... Presume that the doppleganger would play the PC exactly the way the PC would normally act, and just let the player play himself normally. Then - when the right moment strikes... take the player aside, and explain where he's *really* been for the last two weeks, let him RP it a little, and then let the rest of the party experience the sudden 'betrayal'. ;)

Choice based temptation... if you want to be really mean - put all the PC's into really sticky spots, give them something along the lines of "Drop the mcguffin, or drop your friend into the spike filled pit below..." though that may lead to some rather bad PC death incidents.

On the other hand, have some fiendish temptress whispering in their ears, "Which is more important to you? Your task? Or your friends?" Or have the tempress let them 'buy' the mcguffin back from her : "I'll give it to you... if you give me something of... *lasting* value. Surely you value the fate of the world more than your own..." ;) *plays with soul gems*

Last edited:

Remove ads