Help with player with Foot in Mouth disease

Rel

Liquid Awesome
NewJeffCT said:
I think he has a high wisdom, so he should at least know to keep his mouth shut when in a new situation! Actually, he rolled really well in character gen and does not have any scores below 10...

Then I think the GM should tell him that he's not roleplaying very well.

Painfully

First Post
Don't baby him!

Do what needs to be done, without excuses, and tell him that you hope he shows more tact with his next character. :)

Let the other players, "show" him how to be more tactful, either by example, or by just telling him to keep quiet when an important transaction takes place. There's no reason it cannot be worked out, "in character."

Thresher

First Post
Ah just let him get into trouble, be somewhere else healing the sick and injured next time you hit town and be as far away as possible.

After a few deaths, maimings and sound beatings he might learn, if not, just have him wake up in a pine box dressed in a leather suit with some redneck commoners called Cletus & Enus adopt him as their 'new leetle frend'.

Ferret

Explorer
I thought you said foot and mouth... but as long as he's warned, he's roleplaying (probably) so let him be, but tell his player?

NewJeffCT said:
. My cleric stanched the bleeding, but then got arrested for aiding a criminal. (later released)

I have to ask. What kind of jacked up world has your DM created that it is a crime for a cleric (you know the guys who heal people for a living) to step forward and save an unconcious person from bleeding to death.

Sounds to me like you have more than a problem with a player. Your DM may have a problem as well.

frankthedm

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
I have to ask. What kind of jacked up world has your DM created that it is a crime for a cleric (you know the guys who heal people for a living) to step forward and save an unconcious person from bleeding to death.

He gave aid to a criminal who would of been served justice by fate. To me it is reasonable for a city more concerned with law than good to include saving a criminal's life under aiding and abbedding [sp] laws.

If I was the GM, I'd have no compunctions about killing or imprisoning this character as the situation dictated. If you're going to be an ass to powerful people, you had better have the steel to back it up.

Good call

Let the other players, "show" him how to be more tactful, either by example, or by just telling him to keep quiet when an important transaction takes place. There's no reason it cannot be worked out, "in character."

Unfortunately some players just always treat the game as a joke. You may need to inform that type of player that theuy are no longer welcome at the gamining table.

Cedric

First Post
Just my thoughts...

As for the mercenary situation...I would figure that most mercenaries are use to that and would just blow it off. If he kept it up they might warn him that sometimes they'll work for free if it's personal...keep it up and he can find out.

As for the Knight and Squire and pretending to be nobility...if he can't show Patents of Nobility or any indication that he is telling the truth...I would hang him.

Cedric

Emiricol

I think a little intraparty conflict is a great roleplaying hook. But in this case it goes overboard, based on the brief description and scant details I have access to :) Let the chips fall where they may - if he dies enough, he'll learn what gets him killed, eventually.

NewJeffCT

First Post
DocMoriartty said:

Sounds to me like you have more than a problem with a player. Your DM may have a problem as well.

Well, if you were there, you'd probably wonder why the DM didn't kill the campaign by having us all executed... ;=)

We are playing in a human kingdom that is very xenophobic towards outsiders, especially demi-humans. And, we are all newcomers to this town, so we are outsiders to them. And, we have an elf among our group – elves are not allowed outside after dark in most of this nation and interracial ‘relations’ between elves and humans are punishable by death.

I was a bit off in my original description due to my old memory, but to make a long story short, we were all together when our illustrious ranger decided to claim nobility the second time, in a very public area. The knight, who was a bit pompous, was offended and demanded an apology on behalf of his squire. The ranger then decided to back away from his claim of nobility and apologize, but he did it very poorly and ended up insulting the squire and the squire’s work ethic. The knight was obviously enraged, as was the squire. Our party fighter tried to step in and break it up, but could not think of a way to stop the madness (and neither could I…) other than to challenge the knight to a duel. Our fighter got initiative over the unarmored knight and whacked him in the head with a crit, rolling a natural 20. He then got near max damage and dropped the knight with that one shot. The squire, in a rage, leapt forward to avenge his master and stabbed at the ranger. The ranger attempted to disarm, but the ensuing AoO by the squire also resulted in a crit that dropped the first level ranger. Of course, since the ranger was drawing steel to disarm, but never got to swing, nobody knew of his intent. It just looked like he was drawing steel to the 70 or so witnesses. The town guard then came to break things up while my cleric was healing the two fallen men.

As me cleric was a known companion of the ranger, as well as an elf, and also an outsider, he was thrown in jail with the rest of the group. My character, and a few other PCs, were released the next morning, as we had done nothing wrong other than keeping bad company.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Cedric said:
Just my thoughts...

As for the mercenary situation...I would figure that most mercenaries are use to that and would just blow it off. If he kept it up they might warn him that sometimes they'll work for free if it's personal...keep it up and he can find out.

As for the Knight and Squire and pretending to be nobility...if he can't show Patents of Nobility or any indication that he is telling the truth...I would hang him.

Cedric

I am sure the merc was used to it as well. However, our ranger first insulted the merc and then started to back away. So, he was losing face rapidly in the eyes of the merc, who was a bit of a braggart: “Each one of these 7 notches on my belt is for an ogre that I killed.” So, when our ranger starting backing off his insult, the merc saw weakness, or smelled blood, and started trying to intimidate the ranger.

Remove ads