Help with pricing and naming this bow

Akhkharu

First Post
I need help on naming this bow, and to see if I figured the price correctly. I don't think I did.

+2 Mighty Composite Longbow +2 8700
Pass without a Trace (Constant) 2000
Tree Shape (1 hour/day) 6000

Thanks,
Akh

Last edited:

el Voz

First Post
Pick a type of tree (wood) the bow is made of, figure what kind of tree the user becomes, and call it SaplingX.

e.g. saplingash, saplingcypress, saplingbirch

Corwin

Explorer
Any spell-like powers you add to a weapon cost double. So just figure it like a Wondrous Item and double each power (other than the standard weapon powers). Then just add it all up. If you go to Sean K. Reynolds website, he has a lot of weapons possessing bonus powers in his Blades of Faerun section. You might want to check that out.

It's at: seankreynolds.com (go figure ;)).

If I had my books with me I would do the math for you, but alas, I do not.

As to naming it, I wouldn't know where to begin. Is it a unique item or "generic"? Is it well known as being used by someone in particular? Or are you just interested in a DMG-like name for it, like the Flametongue is for an otherwise plain +1 flame burst longsword, or the Bow of True Arrows form S&F?

Well, good luck to you.

Akhkharu

First Post
The bow is for a character (elf ranger4/fighter2), who needs to name his bow after he has spent a month training with it.

It's at: seankreynolds.com (go figure ).
Ahh, thank ya. I'll go and check it out now.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tree Shape (1 hour/day)

Out of curiosity - does the wielder Tree Shape, or the bow?

I'm guessing the former, but the latter could be kinda cool.

If not especially useful most of the time :)

-Hyp.

Akhkharu

First Post
Out of curiosity - does the wielder Tree Shape, or the bow?
right-o, the wielder would change to the tree.
Although, I was thinking of giving the bow an ability to be placed inside a tree, upon command. It would be able to stay there indefinately or until retrieved. The tree where the bow is hidden doesn't change though faint magic can be scene with detect magic. Course if the tree was destroyed, so would be the bow. Sort of a place to hide it incase of trouble.
Would like to give the bow this ability but don't know what to call it or how to even put it down on paper.

Corwin

Explorer
Being able to stick the bow into a tree for storage is a neat little ability, but I wouldn't even raise the price of it for doing so. Even though the weapon would have this (questionably) useful ability, it doesn't seem any more useful that a sword sheding light. Maybe even less. And light doesn't cost anything extra.

Basically have it be able to do it, but it's just a cute flavor thing, IMO.

The tree shape ability itself should be granted to the wielder.

Artoomis

First Post
With that character name, it should be the Shadow Bow. Named not for what it does, but for it's owner.

Not only is it a cool-sounding name, but it's misleading as to its capabilities while still having a name that makes good sense.

Remove ads