Help with pricing and naming this bow

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Pass without trace?

bleedthefreak said:
Since we are talking about enchanted bows..

How much for a bow (say a +2 unholy longbow) that can fire (3/day) an arrow that when it impacts a target sparks a Deeper Darkness spell, but one that only has a duratino of 1d4+1 rounds and a radius of 10'?

Right off the bat I can tell you that Deeper Darkness can't be cast on creatures, only objects. You could however use the ability to shoot an arrow next to someone, or inside their space. That would cast the spell on the arrow and would fill the area with darkness. Although, you could shoot the arrow at something in their possesion, such as their shield or some other item, though that would invoke an attack of opportunity. Either way, you need a new spell.

Besides, if you want modified durations and a smaller area of effect, you are talking about a new spell. I just don't have the time to create a new spell right now. Maybe later though. Let me know if you are really interested.

Last edited:

Hegols

First Post
Re: Re: Cost..

kreynolds said:

Sure. Here you go.

Tentatively named "Bow Didley" (God I love that name! LOL).

1) First of all, it's a mighty composite longbow.
Composite Longbow = +100gp
Mighty +2 = +300gp
Masterwork = +300gp
---------------------------------------------------------
Total for the bow itself = 700gp

2) It is a +2 weapon, that's the first enchantment.
+2 = 8,000gp
So far, our total for the entire bow is = 8,700gp

3) The second enchantment, Pass without Trace. This is a 1st level spell cast by a 3rd level spellcaster who has set the caster level to 1.
Pass without Trace = 2,000gp (spell level (1) x caster level (1) x 2,000gp (use-activated, unlimited charges, always on)
Now, our total for the entire bow is = 10,700

4) The third enchantment, Tree Shape. This is a 2nd level druid spell and a 3rd level ranger spell. I'm gonna go with the ranger on this one. So, we have a 3rd level spell cast by a 3rd level caster. But you can't set the caster level of a spell below what is necessary to cast the spell in the first place. So, this enchantment is useable once per day and will function for 3 hours.
Tree Shape = 3,600gp (spell level (3) x caster level (3) x 2,000gp (1/day, use-activated, unlimited charges)

If you are wondering about the price of this one, you get a discount because you can only use it so many times per day.
Now, our total for the bow is = 14,300

There you go. That's it. Any questions?

I have a question, the min level a Ranger could be to cast 3rd level spells is 11th. Wouldn't that raise the price a bit?

If you used the Druid version it would be 3rd level for min caster level.

Right, or am I totally off on this?

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Cost..

Hegols said:
I have a question, the min level a Ranger could be to cast 3rd level spells is 11th. Wouldn't that raise the price a bit?

If you used the Druid version it would be 3rd level for min caster level.

Right, or am I totally off on this?

Yes, you are correct, if it was built by a ranger. I built this as if it was done so by a wizard. In actual role-play, the price is largely affected by who built it for you, a ranger, wizard, cleric, whatever. I generally make premade items as if they were by a wizard. Naturally, a wizard would need to recreate those spells, but heh.

Just follow the formula's in my post to determine the price as if it was made by a ranger. And remember, the caster level of a ranger is half his class levels. So, you have to be 11th level to cast a 3rd level ranger spell, which means your caster level is 6th. Have fun!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cost..

Yes, you are correct, if it was built by a ranger. I built this as if it was done so by a wizard. In actual role-play, the price is largely affected by who built it for you, a ranger, wizard, cleric, whatever. I generally make premade items as if they were by a wizard. Naturally, a wizard would need to recreate those spells, but heh.

Just follow the formula's in my post to determine the price as if it was made by a ranger. And remember, the caster level of a ranger is half his class levels. So, you have to be 11th level to cast a 3rd level ranger spell, which means your caster level is 6th. Have fun!

You're contradicting yourself in several places here.

Firstly, an 11th level ranger's caster level is 5.

Secondly, if a wizard somehow recreated Tree Shape as a 3rd level arcane spell, the minimum caster level would also be 5, not 3.

If he recreated it as a 2nd level spell, the minimum caster level would be 3.

So the formula should either be SL3 x CL5 x 2000, or SL2 x CL3 x 2000.

SL3 x CL3 x 2000 is impossible.

-Hyp.

bleedthefreak

First Post
Re: Re: Pass without trace?

kreynolds said:

Right off the bat I can tell you that Deeper Darkness can't be cast on creatures, only objects. You could however use the ability to shoot an arrow next to someone, or inside their space. That would cast the spell on the arrow and would fill the area with darkness. Although, you could shoot the arrow at something in their possesion, such as their shield or some other item, though that would invoke an attack of opportunity. Either way, you need a new spell.

Besides, if you want modified durations and a smaller area of effect, you are talking about a new spell. I just don't have the time to create a new spell right now. Maybe later though. Let me know if you are really interested.

Actually, I *am* interested, if you be so kind! I would really appreciate it. It is an item for a Medusa Sorceress I am working on that will (hopefully) really challenge my players. The Medusa in question will use this bow to safely take out some attackers for a few seconds while dealing with the others (stone, hold person, etc.) Also, I was going to give her the spell Suggestion and have her suggest the target "Look at her" so they could not avert there gaze. Actually, would that work?

bleedthefreak

First Post
Re: Re: Pass without trace?

kreynolds said:

Nope. Check out the DMG. Also, the formula they give in the DMG for Charges per Day items isn't so great. It is better illustrated in the Tome & Blood.

Okay, I looked in the DMG, but I still don't get it, I thought all extra powers (those not given a market value modifier or an actual "plus" on the weapon, such as Pass Without Trace, for example) cost double to put on the weapon, did I miss a class?

:cool:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cost..

Hypersmurf said:
You're contradicting yourself in several places here.

Firstly, an 11th level ranger's caster level is 5.

Secondly, if a wizard somehow recreated Tree Shape as a 3rd level arcane spell, the minimum caster level would also be 5, not 3.

If he recreated it as a 2nd level spell, the minimum caster level would be 3.

So the formula should either be SL3 x CL5 x 2000, or SL2 x CL3 x 2000.

SL3 x CL3 x 2000 is impossible.

-Hyp.

Touche'. DOH! And I was so darn close to getting it perfect! Ya' know, I create magic items almost every day, but I can't get them right on the boards. It's the pressure I tell ya'! Too much PRESSURE!!!!!! :mad:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Pass without trace?

bleedthefreak said:
Okay, I looked in the DMG, but I still don't get it, I thought all extra powers (those not given a market value modifier or an actual "plus" on the weapon, such as Pass Without Trace, for example) cost double to put on the weapon, did I miss a class?
:cool:

I've never read that anywhere or even heard of it. The only time I know of that you double the cost of something, is when a magic item does not take up a worn item slot. Following the formulas, the cost to place any spell effect on any item is: spell level x caster level x 2,000 (use activated, unlimited use).

Let me know if you find it.

when i was breaking down the how they came to the cost of all the special weapon enchantments in the weapons section of OA i noticed they were alway 2x of what they should have costed. Also the same thing happened when i tried to figure out what the special abilities of the Sun blade should cost. The final interesting thing look at the Armor vs Weapon chart, you'll notice at ever Plus a weapon costs double that of the armor.

Item Slots
1 headband, hat, or helmet
1 pair of eye lenses or goggles
1 cloak, cape, or mantle
1 amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab
1 suit of armor
1 robe
1 vest, vestment, or shirt
1 pair of bracers or bracelets
1 pair of gloves or gauntlets
2 rings
1 belt
1 pair of boots

Don't see weapon anywhere on that list do you?
A weapon is inherantly a double slotted item from the start

Remove ads