• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help (wizard in a grapple)

buchw001

First Post
So tonight my wizard ended up grappled and basically useless.
I know I can not cast spells when grappled, so what is a wizard to do?

How can my wizard either avoid being grappled or get out of a grapple (of a monk in tonights case)?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
buchw001 said:
So tonight my wizard ended up grappled and basically useless.
I know I can not cast spells when grappled, so what is a wizard to do?

That's not quite true.

You can't cast spells that have Somatic components.

Dimension Door, for example, can be cast in a grapple (with a Concentration check).

Also look up Freedom of Movement. It's not a Wizard spell, but there are ways around that.

-Hyp.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The big problem with grapples in 3.5 is that if you pin your opponent you can prevent them from speaking.

Wizards can prepare a Silent Dimension Door or Teleport, but sorcerers can't do metamagic in a grapple, so their pretty much screwed.

welby

First Post
monks, especially those the deal with grapple, are mage killers.

who let monks in to my fantasy setting anyway, bah.

Thanee

First Post
Caliban said:
The big problem with grapples in 3.5 is that if you pin your opponent you can prevent them from speaking.

Wizards can prepare a Silent Dimension Door or Teleport, but sorcerers can't do metamagic in a grapple, so their pretty much screwed.

Yeah.

However, that's not really a problem, since you normally cannot grapple and pin in one round, unless you started next to the wizard, which isn't the smartest situation for for the wizard to be in.

Wizard in a grapple is going to be useless.

Besides the obvious Dimension Door escape route, you can also still use wands, which can give you something to do. Wand of polymorph is especially fun, turn into something uber-strong and huge and show the creature who's better at grappling! :D

Bye
Thanee

Brekki

First Post
Even sorcerers can have a rod of metamagic, silent ... or a ring of silent spells.

Or they should have cast Lutzaen's Frequent Jaunt before they got grappled ;)

Why wouldn't sorcerers be able to do metamagic ? ... it just increases the time from standard to fullround, but who cares ?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Brekki said:
Even sorcerers can have a rod of metamagic, silent ... or a ring of silent spells.

The Rod increases their casting time to a full round action.

Why wouldn't sorcerers be able to do metamagic ? ... it just increases the time from standard to fullround, but who cares ?

The rules of grappling care :)

"Cast a Spell: You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need."

Thanee said:
However, that's not really a problem, since you normally cannot grapple and pin in one round, unless you started next to the wizard, which isn't the smartest situation for for the wizard to be in.

That's why wizards really hate Psychic Warrior/Monks :) Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge handle that problem nicely :)

Besides the obvious Dimension Door escape route, you can also still use wands, which can give you something to do.

Unless you're still playing 3E, that is ;)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Darklone

What about getting some Escape Artist boosting items ;)?

Not the perfect solution, but pretty valid if you don't have spells right now or no spells prepared that would help.

Otherwise: Wizards do have some feats free for Improved Grapple, Jotunbrud or similar things. Then craft yourself one of these grappling items ... and pin the enemy fighter :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads