D&D 5E Here Are The Races In The New Eberron Book

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

ECWPIdDU4AIpBse.jpg

Official versions of previous playtest races: Warforged, Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters.

Playable versions of: Goblins, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs.

He goes on to clarifiy that "The playable orc in "Eberron" is a bit different from the orc in "Volo's Guide to Monster's." The playable goblinoids in "Eberron" use the same traits as the ones in "Volo's."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Maybe. Like I said, it could just be an organizational thing in the book, where all the dragonmark UA subclasses are still there, they just aren't putting individual subclass headings for each mark. That just might be another way to get to the number 16 Crawford put forth while including the three goblinoids and the orcs. Or maybe they aren't counting the gobbos and orcs like you said. No idea. But we'll find out soon enough.

I'm absolutely certain though that all 12 dragonmarks will be in the book no matter how they choose to organize them..

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed that WotC is coming out with an Eberron book but not a Greyhawk book.

The way things are going, a Greyhawk book will probably happen eventually: however, several settings are ahead in line, and we may see several books use Greyhawk piecemeal first, as Ghosts of Saltmarsh does.

When WotC surveyed peopel regarding their favorite settings for D&D, there three tiers:

1. Forgotten Realms (covered), Ravenloft (covered), Eberron (covered), Dark Sun, Planescape, and Dragonlance

2. Greyhawk and Spelljammer

3. Everything else (Mystarra, Birthright, etc.)

In addition to this book, expect to see Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Planecape before Greyhawk. Maybe even Spelljammer, who knows? Greyahwk might be 50th anniversary material, if you ask me.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I hope WotC doesn't do like they did in 3e, where we ended up with about 4 reprints of the thri-kreen race in 4 different books. Knowing the 3 goblinoids are just reprints from Volo's makes me sad.
The alternative is to say "If you want to play all the races in Eberron, you have to buy two different books," and I don't think that would go over well. As long as they're not cutting something else out in order to reprint the goblinoids, I think this is the better solution.

Mystara could come back if there is an agreement with Capcom and a new videogame set in Mystara.

Dragonlance is too popular to be fogortten but my opinion is they are waiting to find the right key for a teleserie.

Birthright has still an opportunity, but it needs something like a softer version of "Game of Thrones" as hook.

You can be Dark Sun will come back, because it is too original, with its own style.

It'll be the 3rd book that has Goblin PC stats, I'm of the opinion Goblins should have been in the PHB to begin with. I feel they might be more popular than the other 3 in many campaigns, as being small and "funny" makes them more acceptable or sympathetic out of the other "antagonistic" humanoid races.

I'm glad they're doing it for Eberron since those races have a big and different presence in the campaign that they don't typically have in others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hope WotC doesn't do like they did in 3e, where we ended up with about 4 reprints of the thri-kreen race in 4 different books. Knowing the 3 goblinoids are just reprints from Volo's makes me sad. Curious how the orcs differ. If it is just removing the penalty to Int, that's kinda lame.

Still, looking forward to the officially published warforged, shifter, etc.

Given the AL rules about book usage, reprinting can be a favor to people.

I would they wouldn't do much to the orcs apart from removing the intelligence penalty to bring them in line with the general playable race policy. They possibly could do with a bit of help to stop them being inferior to half orcs. I can't think of anything in Eberron lore that would make them really distinguishable from half orcs.

I quite like the Volo hobgoblin, they would make good artificers.

Remove ads

Remove ads