D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie. From ICv2: Playmats...

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

There is an AMC in my old home town, where my folks still live . . . . and its been a while since I've been there, but they didn't differentiate seat prices. I suspect that's a theatre-by-theatre decision, and one not limited to the AMC chain. Movie theatres are struggling to stay afloat and make money, and they are all trying all sorts of things . . . . sometimes bad ideas like different seat prices. Sometimes good ideas like top-level movie swag!

I found out that AMC has an online merchandise store . . . the popcorn bucket, tankard, map, and poster are not available there yet, but they have a bunch of OTHER D&D movie merch for us to buy! They have a bunch of t-shirts and some mugs and water bottles (meh) but also are selling a prop replica of Simon's "spell dispenser" and a nifty pin set. I ordered the pin set for the Harper pin alone!
Nice find!

Von Corellon

Adventurer
I found out that AMC has an online merchandise store . . . the popcorn bucket, tankard, map, and poster are not available there yet, but they have a bunch of OTHER D&D movie merch for us to buy! They have a bunch of t-shirts and some mugs and water bottles (meh) but also are selling a prop replica of Simon's "spell dispenser" and a nifty pin set. I ordered the pin set for the Harper pin alone!
oh man, thank you! That spell dispenser?!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There is an AMC in my old home town, where my folks still live . . . . and its been a while since I've been there, but they didn't differentiate seat prices.
It's a relatively new thing. But hopefully, cooler heads prevail at AMC and they roll it back.
Movie theatres are struggling to stay afloat and make money, and they are all trying all sorts of things . . . . sometimes bad ideas like different seat prices. Sometimes good ideas like top-level movie swag!
I'm extremely sympathetic to their plight, but trying to build a business around mass market entertainment is undermined when you start focusing on the more wealthy end. You end up losing the long-term relationship with the consumers who have fewer options and, in theory, are less likely to go elsewhere. If you get them out of the habit of going to the movie theaters, in favor of chasing a smaller number of people with money, they next time that group does something else, you don't have the broader base to fall back on.

For a lower-income family with a lot of kids, it doesn't take a lot of convincing to say "you know, an extra streaming service this month is cheaper than all of us going to even a matinee showing."
All of these places need to offer dice. It's super-weird that the Netflix store, which has a ton of Hellfire Club stuff, doesn't have any Stranger Things dice. Dice goblins would be happy to shell out for some black dice with the red Stranger Things typeface!

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
For a lower-income family with a lot of kids, it doesn't take a lot of convincing to say "you know, an extra streaming service this month is cheaper than all of us going to even a matinee showing."
In my town, a month of streaming is cheaper than just ONE ticket, let alone snacks and parking.

Going to the movies isn't a regular thing for most folks anymore, it's an event. Which isn't good for theatres, which is why they are trying all sorts of things to encourage folks to go out to the movies more often.

I'm not defending the poor choices of some movie chains, but they aren't charities, they are profit driven corporations. But I agree, decisions like differentiated seat prices is consumer unfriendly and short-sighted. My local Regal cinemas have fancy "extra" theatres like IMAX, ScreenX, and 3D showings . . . it's all pretty gimmicky and not worth the ticket price bump. I don't expect these "innovations" to last. Well, IMAX can be pretty cool paired with the right film.

But the theatres that have installed the fancy, comfy, recliner seats with trays . . . . I like that! And serious swag game . . . not that I need more plastic "collectible" crap, but . . . I'm excited over the D&D d20 popcorn bucket, tankard, and map.

Like I said, theatres are scrambling, making both good and bad "innovations" to attract audiences.

The most irritating thing regarding the new D&D movie, was the opener where the cast addresses the audience and commends us all as "heroes" for coming to see the film where films are meant to be seen . . . in the theatre! That felt condescending and out of touch.

Von Corellon

Adventurer
The most irritating thing regarding the new D&D movie, was the opener where the cast addresses the audience and commends us all as "heroes" for coming to see the film where films are meant to be seen . . . in the theatre! That felt condescending and out of touch.
I liked it, I haven't been to a cinema since before the pandemic, Rise of Skywalker. It was meaningful to me ;)

Dire Bare

Legend
I liked it, I haven't been to a cinema since before the pandemic, Rise of Skywalker. It was meaningful to me ;)
I loved the film itself, and I enjoy the experience of seeing a fun blockbuster in the cinema, rather than at home. I knew what I was doing when I dropped all that $$$ this week, and it was only partially about being impatient to see the movie. I had a great time in the cinema!

But the PSA celebrating the audience as heroes for dropping big cash to come see the film in theatre . . . as it was meant to be seen . . . the messaging I felt was condescending and tone deaf. I'm a K-12 teacher, and I get annoyed when folks call me a hero for just doing my job. I'm certainly no hero for going out to see a movie. It demeans the word.

There are a lot of reasons, good ones, why movie theatre attendance is down. Cost is a big one, but not the only one. Society has changed, and continues to move away from traditional theatre screenings. It's okay if you bemoan that fact and are nostalgic for when seeing a film in the theatre was the only way to see a film, or if you just feel it's the best way to see a film. But the trend amongst actors and directors bemoaning the rise of streaming and the retreat of movie theatres . . . . eh, pull your head out of the sand and just accept that technology and society is changing around you. And do what you can to improve the theatre experience, so it's worth doing more than a few times a year.

I really wanted to see Honor Among Thieves on the big screen, and I did . . . . but I'm saving Shazam 2 for the HBO Max streaming service. I'd love to see that film on the big screen as well, but the cost-benefit ratio for me is much lower, so streaming it is! Am I no longer a hero?

Remove ads

Remove ads