D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie. From ICv2: Playmats...

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And then, there‘s this … doesn’t even say what you might get.
I can't believe loot boxes are still a thing in 2023. Didn't everyone fill their homes with 99% useless crap from those years ago?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Huh. I kind of want one of those watchbands.

EDIT: I gave in. I have no need for popcorn buckets or Funko Pops, but the black and gray band with AD&D monsters on it, I can use.
I bought the grayscale watch band. Happy with it so far, although I will swap it back to my utilitarian band when I actually have to meet with someone for work.

Don't be a dork like I was and scan the QR code in the box outside of the MobyFox app. Instead of unlocking the D&D watchface collection, like I eventually did, you just get sent to an algebra website.

Argyle King

Legend
Now that I can look at the finished cycle of the film, I have 2 thoughts:

1) In general, marketing for the film was (to put ot nicely) not great. Non-D&D players whom I know did not understand what the movie was; D&D players that I know didn't seem to feel that the previews gave a good enough idea concerning what the movie was about to go to the theaters. Additionally, commercials and advertisements which were shown on media channels (and versions of social media) that the target audience actually uses were few and far between. If it wasn't for Enworld, even I likely wouldn't have known the movie was at the local theater before the theater itself put up promotional material for the movie.

2) Are there any products which are usable in the tabletop game which is currently D&D? The figures at WalMart are kinda cool, but they aren't sized anywhere near what would be needed to use for D&D. It's a noticeable failure of a "lifestyle brand" to do nothing to drive someone toward even attempting to play the game. Why exactly does someone buy into a lifestyle brand if the brand isn't something with which the customer interacts? Maybe there are products; if there are, I don't know what they are and imagine that many others don't know either.

Edit: At the time of this post, the movie appears to be about 30 million dollars short of earning back just the budget for the film. Conventional wisdom argues that a "successful" movie needs to earn 2x the production budget. I'm not sure that I entirely agree with that. However, if that is true, that would mean that the film is in the hole over $100M at the time of this post.

Has the merchandising helped close this gap? My perception -which is based purely on anecdotal observation- is no. Even with the movie being an alright movie, I would say that the team responsible for marketing the movie and coming up with merchandise related to both the movie and the 'lifestyle brand' performed poorly.

In contrast, the Mario movie has hit a homerun in theaters, and also has a special Nintendo Switch bundle associated with the movie.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads