D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Bunch of apparel and book tie-ins on Target.com:

This thing doesn't show up on the above search but it makes me wonder what the "Golden Archive" is:

Oh. Jebus. Okay. Hugh Grant action figure.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Because they aren't releasing a new edition, and I know folks have trouble accepting this, but if you use DnDBeyond it is sort of obvious. There isn't going to come a moment when all your content on DDB is suddenly no longer usable. All the books that you buy this year will continue to work with books that are published the year after, just as your books from 2014 will work with books from 2024 and beyond. Everything is interconnected on DDB.

That's all true... unless it isn't any more.

The old editions paradigm is dead. WotC needs to keep everything compatible because the the backbone of the game is no longer the books on your shelf, it's the integrated marketplace of DDB.

We don't know if, or if so to what extent, the OGL debacle has changed their plans. If they want to take OneD&D into a much more closed ecosystem, they'll now need to make more extensive changes than they had planned. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that the plans of six weeks ago are still valid today.

Dire Bare

Legend
Bunch of apparel and book tie-ins on Target.com:

This thing doesn't show up on the above search but it makes me wonder what the "Golden Archive" is:

Oh. Jebus. Okay. Hugh Grant action figure.

Some of those t-shirt designs are nice! And most of the shirts are coming in around $18!!! If you do a broader search under "Dungeons & Dragons" (instead of "Honor Among Thieves"), there are a few more tie-in shirts and stuff, and lots of interesting non tie-in D&D shirts and stuff! Sticker books, coloring books, pop-up books, other books . . . .

Yes. A whole lot of "we do no editing we just publish clickbait" websites have used the $45M figure in their articles and so it's spread through the internet as fact. But it's actually the figure from the 2000 movie, and articles of a less clickbaity nature attribute it correctly and say basically we don't know the budget of the D&D movie yet.

If you google "D&D movie budget 2023" you find a nice mix of clickbaity articles with no fact checking proclaiming it to be $45M and other articles comparing it to the 2000 movie and using the $45M figure to describe that movie.

I could have sworn early on, like before we even knew the name of the movie, just the directors mostly, that one of them said the movie was a $100 million dollar blockbuster or something, probably just a ball park figure, but I can't find it.

I don't think this movie cost more then $150, if that, which is the lower end of blockbuster budgets, which was smart. Marvel/Disney movies are increasingly fameous for being wasteful for budgets, including an insane abuse of CGI, including for things that can be done cheaply with practical effects, but also tons of reshoots, and shooting multiple versions of a single movie, then scrap booking it altogether, a ton of expensive actor.

In contrast D&D: HAT relies as much as possible on practical effects, on site locations (including an actual erupting Volcano in Iceland!), and so on. No actors more costly then Chris Pine, etc..., so the threshood for profitablity is very low for a blockbuster.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Seeing the cinematography of just this trailer compared to the Mythica series on Amazon prime…the difference is telling in the quality. It looks like a well done movie and I plan on going to watch it. Should be entertaining. I realize some may want to think of their dnd movie like their mental version of shining knights on quests dnd adventure but maybe forget that half the fun or more of a dnd campaign is the fun dialogue interaction between players and in this case actors in the movie…I’m skipping inputting the overused meme of LoTR and Monty python adventure.

Also thanks to those people posting links to merch for us, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases