Critical Role Here's The Cover Of The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount; Plus It's #15 In Amazon Bestsellers!

While Amazon may have revealed the title and description of The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount earlier, it had no cover art. Barnes & Noble, on the other hand, has the cover but at the time of writing no title or description. Here it is! The official announcement should be coming later today. In the meantime, the book - which has not yet been announced! - is already #15 in the bestsellers...

While Amazon may have revealed the title and description of The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount earlier, it had no cover art. Barnes & Noble, on the other hand, has the cover but at the time of writing no title or description. Here it is!

9780786966912_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

The official announcement should be coming later today. In the meantime, the book - which has not yet been announced! - is already #15 in the bestsellers chart for all books on Amazon, based only on pre-orders. That's pretty astonishing for a book which 'officially' doesn't even exist yet (although the announcement is expected later today).

Sales Rank.png

Zardnaar

Legend
If people cared about Dark Sun for this long, they can care about this.

I said that I am not the target market for this book. But, my goddaughter, who I taught how to play and run her own game, and who loves CR, is in the target market. She gets to have her favorites when she's young, just like we did.

Darksun was unique and different. My comment was based on Ravnica.

I'll probably pick it up eventually if there's some good player options but the cover doesn't really do it.

I didn't like the Eberron cover either but got the alt art one.

Anything first party D&D will do well on Amazon initially.

Last edited:

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Darksun was unique and different. My comment was based in Ravnica.

I'll probably pick it up eventually if there's some good player options but the cover doesn't really do it.

I didn't like the Eberron cover either but got the alt art one.

Anything first party D&D will do well on Amazon initially.
I agree with most of what you're saying. The original TSR settings will always have the nostalgia factor as being the original D&D settings to a lot of long time players and DM's. These new books are just not my thing. Ravnica, CR, Rick and Morty or Stranger Things (although I love R&M and ST shows). Dark Sun and Birthright are my bag.

The Eberron covers (all three of them) I didn't like at all. I even predicted that they'd change the first cover after the negativity it got online, and sure enough, they did. But it just goes to show you how much influence the online community has nowadays in this hobby.

Suffice it to say I will not be buying this book. Perhaps D&D has begun to outgrow me as I don't have any interest whatsoever in watching CR or any RPG stream for that matter. If that's the way this hobby is heading then I'll stick with the books I have now and spend my money on more Savage Worlds, Forbidden Lands and Shadow of the Demon Lord, and just convert the settings over.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Show me the Venn diagram of people who watch their show vs those who actually play vs those who buy more than the core books. It's not 11.4 million worth who will actually buy this book.
The book they published with green robin sold out in the first week of preorders and there was a second printing before the preorders went out.

dave2008

Legend
I agree with most of what you're saying. The original TSR settings will always have the nostalgia factor as being the original D&D settings to a lot of long time players and DM's.
I sometimes I think fans of old settings assume they were more popular than they really were. All real "statistical" information we have been given has shown they really were not that popular. Like me, over 50% of groups play homebrew settings. I started playing in the early - mid eighties and I have never played a game in an official D&D setting. In fact, there is some suggestion that the multitude of settings was the cause for the fall of TSR. To stay alive D&D has to provide for new players, not just old ones.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Three stars, mate!
Their stream is free. That doesn't translate into book sales 1:1.

Mark my words.

Free views on twitch and YouTube don't translate into book sales. This will come out, sell for a few weeks, and then disappear.

20-somethings may be the target audience. They also have no attention span to speak of. 50 and 60 year olds have been the glue holding the hobby together and have continued to buy product for decades. If they aren't interested in this book, it'll be long forgotten while fatbeards continue buying PDF versions of the original Greyhawk Folio for the next 10 years.
OH! You’re... serious?...😯

They made like 10 million dollars on a kickstarter in a month! They’re breaking sales records on a barely-announced book! Heck, I’m planning to buy a copy and I haven’t even preordered! I’m... not sure there‘s anything else to say.

Last edited:

Ravenbrook

Explorer
Meanwhile in Europe:
Amazon UK: Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is #17 in Books.
However, it doesn't appear at all in the lists of Amazon France and Amazon Germany.

Meanwhile in Europe:
Amazon UK: Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is #17 in Books.
However, it doesn't appear at all in the lists of Amazon France and Amazon Germany.
One would imagine an English language programme would be less popular in countries where English isn't the first language...

Remove ads

Remove ads